Garmin instinct 2 tactical vs Fenix

Anyone own either watch?

Trying to find out if either will connect to the garmin inreach mini.

Also looking for comparisons for a daily/hunting watch that is solar powered.

I’ve had the g-shock mudman for 8 years and having to shake it to get the screen to come on is becoming more frequent. This watch has been through some chit, seen all sorts of weather, been in several oceans, and has likes of animal blood spilled on it (even my own) from Texas to Alaska

Need a new watch for my Alaska River float hunt starting sep 5. Not feeling confident with the issues of the current watch trying to kick the bucket.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 2x solar about 2 months ago. Fully charged it out of the box and haven't touched the charger since and it's currently at 85%. I work outside all day every day but the solar feature is definitely not a gimmick. I haven't found a way that it would connect to an inReach, but for my use I don't see a need to. I was between this watch and the Fenix but couldn't justify the cost difference for what I will use it for and I know it's just gonna get the shit beat out of it at work anyway. I really do like it though, it does everything I need it to.

Psalmon

FNG
I’m curious as to a good watch in general that won’t break the bank. Solar is neat but here in kenai our sunlight is getting shorter right now and the weather is starting to get very unpredictable and most days we have over cast. And my winters the sun isn’t out much more than a couple of hours.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Have had a fenix 6 for a few years. Can’t ever imagine being with a different watch. Its awesome and battery life is amazing.

Talks to many of my other garmin devices. Apps fine. Can golf with it. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

I’ll plug the Instinct. Solar is terrific, but even without any sunlight the new one gets over a month of battery (without any GPS tracking but still connected to my phone). It’s bombproof for most outdoors tasks and the trackback/return to start feature has come in very handy on more than one occasion.

bnsafe

WKR
I love my fenix 6x with saphire glass. I am hard on my watches and this thing doesnt have a scratch on it with no plastic covers. they evidently did have some issue with the vibrate feature when you get a text or call as mine starting making a weird sound and they new what it was when I contacted them and took care of it in 4 total days. I might upgrade to the 7 if discounted enough or see what the 8 is offering.
oh yea, 21 legit days of battery life if im not using gps. hard to beat that. it is bigger and heavier than the instinct, but I prefer that for the other features

I have an instinct 2 but not solar. Wish I woulda spent the money on solar. Other than that, the watch is lightweight, easy to use and I hardly know it’s there at times. I’m not as rough on it as I was my previous watch but overall I’m very happy with it.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, the solar watch faces are pretty amazing. I have a couple of the Citizen Eco watches and those charge from the sun and just keep on going.

mtbraun

FNG
I've had a Fenix 5, 6, and currently a 7. Loved them all but the solar 7 is my favorite.

Battery life while running the gps is the factor.
What is it in real life.
Only reason for me or I will stick to a regular field watch I never worry about.

Loo.wii

WKR
I HAVE A FENIX 6 SAFIRE SOLAR. the Fenix seriesis bullet proof. The battery life is amazing. If youre actually training for high intensity activities the tracking is great. i just wish the battery lasted forever.

I've got a Fenix 6, had a 5. I'm sure I'll get a 7 or 8 next...

They're tough, hunting, fishing, construction, mechanic work, fabrication...

I've never tired to pair it with my Inreach. But I do get alerts from the Inreach on it.

I have had the instinct, instinct 2 solar and now the instinct 2x solar. Definitely 2x is better, in my opinion. They hit the perfect size for man wrists with it, solar charging is better. Will actually jump multiple percentages with outside use but it's not immediate. Even with just regular outside visits or workouts my battery will last 3 weeks. Workout functions are spot on enough and plenty. I prefer the monochrome watch face over the full color. From my research prior to buying, they basically do all of the same things but the finix can have maps and not only track back, which track back works great BTW. Both do connect to inreach and many other garmin products.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
Just pulled the trigger on an instinct 2 solar tactical.

Battery life was my deciding factor here. Apparently if you use all functions on the fenix (gps, body monitoring, etc) at the same time the battery is pretty much toast in 5 days or so based on all the reviews I read. It’s also a plus to be able to pair with in reach and have some other nice features.

Considering I’m stepping up from a g shock mudman, the instinct 2x tactical is light years ahead. I’d still rock that g shock but I’m afraid it’s on its last leg. It took some brutal hell though. For the money, it’s an exceptional watch.

KHNC

WKR
Just pulled the trigger on an instinct 2 solar tactical.

Battery life was my deciding factor here. Apparently if you use all functions on the fenix (gps, body monitoring, etc) at the same time the battery is pretty much toast in 5 days or so based on all the reviews I read. It’s also a plus to be able to pair with in reach and have some other nice features.

Considering I’m stepping up from a g shock mudman, the instinct 2x tactical is light years ahead. I’d still rock that g shock but I’m afraid it’s on its last leg. It took some brutal hell though. For the money, it’s an exceptional watch.

Got this same watch 3 weeks ago. Paired it with my LitPro for Motocross lap times. As of today, I still have not found a way to pair it with my inreach mini. It may be possible though.