Garmin Inreach vs??

Marble

WKR
Yes, you make some great points. The text function is nice. However, at $15/mo and having to suspend/unsuspend in the 'off' season, I was just thinking it would better serve me to have something that's SOS functional at all times. Then again, $180 year is probably a small price to pay if you get into a situation and really need it.
I turn mine on in August during archery, then when I leave camp in CO the first week of November I turn it off. But I get the plan that costs more because I communicate with my family while I'm the backcountry.

An additional fee is the annual fee which is like $50. I think I get hit for this in July.

I've considered just getting a PLB, but the communication functions of the Inreach let the ladies relax while I'm solo.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Yes, you make some great points. The text function is nice. However, at $15/mo and having to suspend/unsuspend in the 'off' season, I was just thinking it would better serve me to have something that's SOS functional at all times. Then again, $180 year is probably a small price to pay if you get into a situation and really need it.
If you do the annual plan on the lowest subscription, you pay the activation fee once and then its ~12 bucks a month. It costs right around 150 bucks a year to keep it going.

When I was debating between an InReach and SPOT I came across one thing that pushed me to an InReach. Like you, I saw no need to be able to text until...a guy posted on another forum. He left for an out of state elk hunt for 8 days. On day 2 his father in law suddenly passed away. His family had no way of contacting him so his wife had to deal with the kids, losing her dad, and a funeral all on her own. He had a SPOT and promptly purchased an InReach when he got home.

I rarely text from my InReach but the fact that if my wife ever needed me, she has a way to get a hold of me, its well worth 150 bucks a year. Remember that you are not buying any PLB for the good times, you may pay to run the thing for 20 years before you have to push that SOS button. I hope to never see a return on the money it has cost me.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, I have a Bivy Stick and have been happy with it. I don't have any experience with any of the other devices so I cannot compare. Device is lightweight, easy to setup and use, and battery life is sufficient for my use. No complaints. And customer service was top notch.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I am primarily a mariner so very familiar with emergency processes and the mechanics that go with them. I can tell you that if you use a PLB, the most common for hikers etc, that 1000's of these go off daily as false alarms. So response is delayed and has to be verified. However if you have an Inreach type transmitter than you can tell them you are 'real' right off the bat and provide details of your incident. Plus you can receive comms from your rescuers. A huge difference with a small price to pay for that feature.

Wow yes this is a statement and I’m rethinking it now for sure.

Even Garmin says you will need to comm first for coordinates and status which costs time and time of the essence in a dire situation.

You’re absolutely 1000% right. I recall the Breitling ‘emergency’ watch from years ago. Basically just a beacon in the watch but times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Freeride

FNG
Back a few years when I bought my inreach there were a few issues with the SPOT units not connecting after you hit the SOS button and there was no way to confirm if it went through.

The text function of the inreach is peace of mind for me. If I get into trouble I always thought it would be a huge moral boost that could get you through possibly the worst night knowing that help would be there in the morning. Or being able to text exactly what was wrong and what I need from the rescuers, the more information they have the better.

Plus most places I hunt I don't have cell reception so I can always let my wife know I am okay, or will be late.

pirogue

WKR
I’m not familiar with the current cost comparison, but I’ve been using a Spit Gen3, for several years. My wife has never failed to receive the “I’m OK” message, and it’s been sent from a lot of places.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
If you are waiting to be rescued and have updates then this is ideal. When you are waiting to be rescued and you have no idea if your call was even acted upon, then thats another story! The best is to pack a sat phone. second an inreach style 2 way transmitter. Note than for any sat comms you need to have a clear view of the sky. If you are in thick woods or in a deep canyon you might not be able to get a direct clear shot at the satellites.

KitsapDan

FNG
The older Delorme Inreach devices (I have one) are basically the same as the newer Garmin ones in less fancy packaging. If you buy either used off flea bay be sure they have been unlocked from the prior user. Garmin will not necessarily unlock it for you as a new owner although they most definitely can do so.

Garmin offers a month to month plan which sounds like your very best option. Their site is a little confusing (purposefully ?) on that as when you switch back & forth from annual to monthly etc the screen replay looks ALMOST exactly the same.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My group bought the Bivy Stick Satellite Communicators last year. And now they're only $200 (although they now require 4 months of service initially). I thought they worked great for texting back home and communicating with the other guys in my group. I even had a situation where I had to deal with poachers and was able to text the warden. Worth its price for that single reason alone.

Good customer service, too. They mailed me a free solar charging panel just for me asking since it was part of a Black Friday promo they ran not long after I bought mine.

It uses the iridium satellite network, just like Garmin. And there is no fee for re-activating service like a lot of the other ones.