Future hunt planning-what should I do?

I am trying to figure out what is best for planning future hunts. 35 now. I have no preference points for any sheep anywhere. I'll be doing other hunts in the meantime. Live in Wisconsin and don't forsee moving anywhere west in the next 5-10 years to become resident. I am also a big duck hunter so I spend a large amount of time and money doing that and will do so in the future with trips.

My question is with everything in limbo for pts and creep, is it worth taking pts in any state? If so, which ones?

OR am I better off allocating that money to raffles?

OR start investing that money to pay for hunt down the road?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

JjamesIII

WKR
I am trying to figure out what is best for planning future hunts. 35 now. I have no preference points for any sheep anywhere. I'll be doing other hunts in the meantime. Live in Wisconsin and don't forsee moving anywhere west in the next 5-10 years to become resident. I am also a big duck hunter so I spend a large amount of time and money doing that and will do so in the future with trips.

My question is with everything in limbo for pts and creep, is it worth taking pts in any state? If so, which ones?

OR am I better off allocating that money to raffles?

OR start investing that money to pay for hunt down the road?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The s-show of sheep hunting points is something I just won’t waste the money on. It’s such a desperate long shot. I would allocate money for points on other species that are still obtainable- while they still are. People luck into getting tags occasionally, but so do power ball winners in the lottery.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
About the same as you, but do have a few points in a few states and have the same unease. Not sure when I finally have enough points & am 85 I will be able to harvest a sheep. Of course this will be a hunger games type situation where I will have had to out live the rest of the people my age with the same number of points. Not sure I have seen a great write up on sheep points on here or gohunt or elsewhere. Decided I didn't want to keep giving Wyoming money for a sheep point each year..... kinda regret that decision. Might of been able to draw it when I turn 75.

WCB

WKR
I’m in your boat except 3 points for MT (lol).

I’m just saving up for a Dall ram hunt myself.
Better boost your saving rate up...personal friend and Sheep guide in AK says he wouldn't be 1 bit surprised if Dall hunts are 50K in 3-5 years. There numbers aren't getting any better.

to the OP... could be a priority thing. How much do you spend waterfowl hunting or doing other activities? 5K a year 6K? Take the point money or raffle money you think you would spend add the "other" money in and you might find it would be doable in not too long of time. Any body that I know of that is of normal means and has a hunt booked or has been on a sheep hunt, has made it a priority to make it happen. However, I do know a guy that won a hunt from the <1 club his first year joining and another guy that drew his first year being a MT resident.

This is a tough, yet familiar position for alot of guys. I think it really depends on what your priorities are, but know that priorities change over time. I'm not sure that just getting started in the sheep (or alot of OIL species) application game is really that good of an idea these days. Most people putting in will not draw even if they apply 40 or 50 years.

I drew a sheep tag in WA with 12 points in 2010, not soon after I booked a dall hunt for 2013 before prices went too crazy. After I drew WA I stopped applying in other states for sheep except desert sheep tags as that is probably one of my top 3 hunts I'd like to do. That being said I'm thankful to have a half slam but realistically my sheep hunting is done unless I somehow hit the lottery. I'm ok with that, I had a couple of amazing hunts that I will always remember. There is just other things I'd rather do with my money then pay the outrageous prices for what guided sheep hunts are going for now days.

You could cut back on your duck hunting, throw all that money towards sheep raffles and points for decades and still not draw. Would that be worth it? I'm guessing probably not, that's alot of hunting you'd miss out on while waiting. The way hunting is headed in the west I'd be trying to get as many tags as I could right now.