Full Spectrum Preparation

Dan M

WKR
Hey all,

I am new to the forum, however I am not new to Rokslide, backpack hunting and certainly not fitness. A little background about myself, I served over twelve years in the military with the majority of this time in a combat arms role and have been bow hunting for nearly 20 years. I am a dedicated bow hunter-athlete. I just want to share my two cents on Physical Preparation.

After reading some recent forum posts on Rokslide, one of these being “Fitness Standards”, I have been thinking about the various comments posted. This has led me to share this:
In order to be the best hunters that we can, whether with bow, gun or smoke pole we should constantly strive to pursue a higher level of readiness. This includes both the physical and mental aspects involved with hunting, particularly backpack hunting. We not only owe this to ourselves but also our hunting partners and more importantly the animals we pursue. Being more prepared enables us to better handle physical and mental stress, thus making it more likely we will have ethical and accurate shot placement and quick, clean kills.

I think we can all agree that luck occasionally plays its part to make a hunt successful. If a person doesn’t have the ability (or will) to properly scout their area, they may stumble across an animal, by pure luck. However, the one thing that is assured is that a lack of physical preparation will not be overcome by luck. Luck will not get you to that distant ridgeline where that trophy goat resides or that high country basin that holds the Muley of your dreams. The only thing that will help you get there is preparation, Full Spectrum Preparation.

Full Spectrum Preparation consists of many aspects, but I want to mention the aspects here that have to do with Physical Fitness for the backpack hunter: Physical Conditioning/Training, Nutrition and Rest.

Physical conditioning has a different definition to everyone. One person’s idea of being fit is very different from another’s, as we see in the forum post “Fitness Standards”. I believe that in order to be truly considered “Mountain Fit” a person should be strong in the gym, be able to run and carry a pack long distances at a moderate pace and also be able to perform “functional” exercises that are both critical to injury prevention and everyday activity in the mountains. Each individual is going to set their own goals and definition of what level of fitness they require. My personal goal is to be the strongest, fastest and most efficient athlete I can. Doing so enables me to move further, faster and keep my head in the game longer. I understand that not everyone needs to maintain the physical fitness level of a professional athlete but I have to ask, “Why not”? Having a higher level of fitness also means less chance of injury and prolonged lifespan.

Nutrition is a critical aspect to physical conditioning and performance. In order to maintain proper nutrition, it takes time and preparation. Personally I try to eat every 3 hours of the day. Preparation for me is the most time consuming part of maintaining my proper nutritional levels. As we approach the Train to Hunt Challenge events, I am working even harder in this area. As I have increased by activity and cardio specifically I am focusing on consuming 5,000-7,000 calories daily. Breakfast usually consists of steel cut oatmeal, hard boiled eggs and a small portion of bacon. Lunch is usually centered on a lean meat (usually venison), brown rice or quinoa and a Greek yogurt. Dinner is generally more lean meats, a high quality carbohydrate, vegetable and salad. In between meals I consume cottage cheese, protein bars and fruit. In order to maintain this sort of eating schedule while working full time, being a Husband and Father and training it takes a lot of time. I generally prepare as much as possible on the weekends in order to make this easier. I don’t mean to ramble, I just want to encourage anyone who is looking to improve their diet to do the same.

The last thing I want to touch on is rest. Programming full rest days and active rest days into your routine is critical. I will go more in depth on this later if anyone cares to hear, but in general I try to get 6 hours of sleep per night. Sundays are a full rest day for me, as far as physical training is concerned, with few exceptions.

Full Spectrum Preparation includes all aspects of preparing for a hunt, or for some of us, life. I brought up the main points I feel are critical to the Physical Preparation side in order to share and encourage thoughts on this topic. What did you do today to be a better Mountain Hunter?

JasonWi

WKR
Dan:

Welcome to RS. I think your post mimics what the majority of the hunters on here feel...and try to apply to our daily lives.

I know quite a few really good hunters who simply WONT add physical fitness into their daily routine. They are young enough at this point that their normal fitness level allows them to hunt. I don't think they are looking at the writing on the wall for the upcoming future.

We have to train constantly and keep improving so we're maintaining a level of fitness -- not trying to start from scratch when you realize you drew a great tag or decide you want to hunt different species. I completely understand being busy with family, career, extra activities but honestly a persons fitness shouldn't be overlooked.

In 2010 I weighted #250 @ 5"11, I'm now hovering around 205-206. I work out 5-6 days a week and prefer strength training and either hiking or biking over running. I wish I could run, but it's not my cup of tea. My thought is as long as I'm active everyday I possibly can and try to break at least 1 hour of sweat a day..regardless of my activity I'm happy.

Eating healthy takes a lot of effort for me and I have to prepare my meals ahead of time also. I simply love sweets so that is my biggest downfall, but I don't beat myself up over having a treat. I strive to eat clean around 85% of the time and it seems to work itself out.

To answer your final question. What did I do today?

Deadlifts 5 sets
Squats 4 sets
Pullups 4 sets
15 min of stretching

Hoping to do 30 min of elliptical tonight.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Good post Dan. I haven't spent much time browsing the fitness section of this forum but I like what I have read so far. I completely agree that being as physically and mentally fit as possible is the best way to approach mountain hunting. I'm certainly not as critical of my diet as you described having just turned 30, but I surely eat healthier than I did when I was 20. I consume enough protein/calories to keep my weight up and slowly gain lean muscle. I'm currently 5'11" and 170lbs and struggle to get to 180 (not that I NEED to). I work out 5 days/wk for roughly 45 minutes in the morning and have a relatively active job for 10 hrs. Then I run 3 miles 3 nights a week (7:20mi)

Today- Legs and Core (28 intense minutes)
Squats rotating with lunges (3 sets each)
Leg extensions rotated with leg curls
Crunches 75) rotated with burpees (15) 3 sets

I always follow my weights with a 20 minute rotating cardio program. If anyone who only has 45 minutes a day to workout I would be happy to post my program.

Ironman8

WKR
Dan good post, and I agree with all of your touch points on what and why it is important...however, I'll disagree on the sleep thing. I don't think 6 hours is nearly enough, especially when you're training hard for an hour or more per day. I won't re-hash what I've learned and believe to be true, so I'll just link a couple of video podcasts done by "Barbell Shrugged" with Dr. Kirk Parsley, who is a former Navy SEAL. He goes into his background on the show, but I think due to that background, he's uniquely qualified to talk about sleep, not to mention that's what he does for a living (as a doctor) now. They're a little long, but well worth the watch/listen. I usually listen to them while in the car driving...

http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/1-quick-way-naturually-increase-testosterone-sleep-w-dr-kirk-parsley-episode-113/

http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/better_at_everything/

Also, regarding diet, good list of clean foods that you mentioned, but I have no idea how you make it to 5-7k calories eating just what you wrote down. Have you actually counted up the macros that those foods provide? They're great, but you'd have to eat HUGE servings to get you to 5-7k cals. I'd be interested in seeing what else you're putting in your diet since hitting 3k cals (with the right macros) always seems to be a chore for me.

Overall good post and I agree with what you're saying. Hope you guys enjoy the vids.

Poser

WKR
Last year, I was working out in the mornings, but getting up for workouts was often cutting my sleep to ~7 hours or so. This past Fall, I switched to working out in the evenings and am getting an extra 1-3 hours of sleep. Recovery times and improvement has been significantly higher. I can also handle more volume. I've been trying to get in 10 hours of sleep 1 or 2 days a week and 8-9 on the other days.

On the downside, it can often be difficult to go to sleep after getting jacked up from an evening workout, so I've started drinking 2 cups of Chamomile tea and taking a magnesium supplement before bed -helps quite a bit. I've never been particularly good at sleeping unless I'm completely worn out and sleep deprived, but "working" on getting more and higher quality sleep has been a bit of a game changer.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Man I wish I could get more sleep, but I probably only average 6 hrs. I have a 1 and 3 year old so my evenings are spent with them until they go to bed. Therefore the best time to workout for me is at 5am before I start work at 6am. Sleep 10pm-4am.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Last year, I was working out in the mornings, but getting up for workouts was often cutting my sleep to ~7 hours or so. This past Fall, I switched to working out in the evenings and am getting an extra 1-3 hours of sleep. Recovery times and improvement has been significantly higher. I can also handle more volume. I've been trying to get in 10 hours of sleep 1 or 2 days a week and 8-9 on the other days.

On the downside, it can often be difficult to go to sleep after getting jacked up from an evening workout, so I've started drinking 2 cups of Chamomile tea and taking a magnesium supplement before bed -helps quite a bit. I've never been particularly good at sleeping unless I'm completely worn out and sleep deprived, but "working" on getting more and higher quality sleep has been a bit of a game changer.

Valerian root and tryptophan (milk) are supposed to promote sleep. Brian McKenzie said his girlfriend was sleeping 14hr/day in training for her gold medal rowing performance at the Olympics. She literally did nothing but train, eat and sleep.

ppreston

FNG
Great post, Dan.

As I've worked my way into my 30s, I've definitely taken on a different view with respects to nutrition and rest. During my 20s I was eating anything and everything and getting no more than 7hrs and probably averaging closer to 6hrs. For the past 14 months I have been doing an 85:15 paleo diet, which allows me to cheat a little bit (the occasional pizza or cheeseburger to keep me sane). As for rest, I am sticking very close to 8hrs and it is doing wonders for both recovery and my overall mood...especially in the mornings.

Owning two huskies, means that I am trading off running days with my girlfriend and getting in roughly 15-25mi per week depending on how I am feeling. I typically trade off distance, interval, and speed days.

I hit the gym on the days that I am not running, and I go back and forth between two different circuit workouts (1 - Back and Legs; 2 - Chest, Shoulders, and Legs). I switch up the number of sets and reps that I do after each cycle (3x10, 4x6, 2x15, 10-8-6-4-2, etc). For pull-ups I will do 10-15 reps each set regardless of the type of workout that I am doing, and dips I am usually 15-20reps per set. Abs and core are targeted daily.

This mornings circuit (2x15):
Incline Press
Dips - 2x20
Front Raise
Reverse Fly
Step Ups
Reverse Lunges
Calves

I agree with most of your thoughts, but I also think 6 hours is not enough. I really try to shoot for 8 hours, but with three kids and a working wife that's tough. Studies show that it takes a significant portion of deep sleep for muscle and tissue synthesis to take place. I really agree on the importance of recovery days. I try to do yoga on my recovery day, or a good session of dynamic stretching.

I try to avoid protein bars and go for nuts and fruits and string cheeses.

This week looked like this:

Sunday: one hour trail run
Monday: weights in AM, 2 hour mountain bike ride in PM
Tuesday: two hour mountain bike ride
Wednesday: weights
Thursday: rest
Friday: weights in AM, one hour hike in PM
Saturday: one hour hike in AM, Insanity workout in PM

This is pretty standard for me. Last year I was running much more as I was training for 50 mile trail run. This year I plan on mountain biking much more and running less.

Poser

WKR
I have found contrast showers to be helpful for recovery after punishing workouts. Some people recommend 3:1 Hot to cold ratio while others recommend 1:1 hot to cold of 30 seconds each. Either way seems to yield about the same results. The idea is that the hot and cold water cause your blood vessels to expand and contract respectively, thus creating a "flushing" effect. You'll definitely feel refreshed. I don't think it helps a significant amount, but when training hard, every little bit of recovery helps, be it extra sleep, time on foam roller, massage, sufficient protein, hydration etc all add up.

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Dan:

Welcome to RS. I think your post mimics what the majority of the hunters on here feel...and try to apply to our daily lives.

I know quite a few really good hunters who simply WONT add physical fitness into their daily routine. They are young enough at this point that their normal fitness level allows them to hunt. I don't think they are looking at the writing on the wall for the upcoming future.

We have to train constantly and keep improving so we're maintaining a level of fitness -- not trying to start from scratch when you realize you drew a great tag or decide you want to hunt different species. I completely understand being busy with family, career, extra activities but honestly a persons fitness shouldn't be overlooked.

In 2010 I weighted #250 @ 5"11, I'm now hovering around 205-206. I work out 5-6 days a week and prefer strength training and either hiking or biking over running. I wish I could run, but it's not my cup of tea. My thought is as long as I'm active everyday I possibly can and try to break at least 1 hour of sweat a day..regardless of my activity I'm happy.

Eating healthy takes a lot of effort for me and I have to prepare my meals ahead of time also. I simply love sweets so that is my biggest downfall, but I don't beat myself up over having a treat. I strive to eat clean around 85% of the time and it seems to work itself out.

To answer your final question. What did I do today?

Deadlifts 5 sets
Squats 4 sets
Pullups 4 sets
15 min of stretching

Hoping to do 30 min of elliptical tonight.

Jason,

Thank you for your response. I am glad to see your personal transition toward being a more fit, hunter-athlete. I think that we all have our short comings when it comes to diet, exercise and rest. Everything in moderation is the key, especially when it comes to the more unhealthy foods, etc. although this also applies to exercise. Too much of anything is not necessarily healthy for us.

I hope you hit your personal goal on the elliptical. One thing I have added to my routine religiously is stretching, and more recently rolling out with a foam roller or lacrosse ball.

Have a great week,

Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Good post Dan. I haven't spent much time browsing the fitness section of this forum but I like what I have read so far. I completely agree that being as physically and mentally fit as possible is the best way to approach mountain hunting. I'm certainly not as critical of my diet as you described having just turned 30, but I surely eat healthier than I did when I was 20. I consume enough protein/calories to keep my weight up and slowly gain lean muscle. I'm currently 5'11" and 170lbs and struggle to get to 180 (not that I NEED to). I work out 5 days/wk for roughly 45 minutes in the morning and have a relatively active job for 10 hrs. Then I run 3 miles 3 nights a week (7:20mi)

Today- Legs and Core (28 intense minutes)
Squats rotating with lunges (3 sets each)
Leg extensions rotated with leg curls
Crunches 75) rotated with burpees (15) 3 sets

I always follow my weights with a 20 minute rotating cardio program. If anyone who only has 45 minutes a day to workout I would be happy to post my program.

BeWitty,

Thanks for your response and for sharing your personal routine. I understand the difficulties of trying to maintain a workout regime and strict diet while having an active job. For me, this all comes down to preparation. If you are interested I will post the current specifics of my diet and workout regime in the next few days. I am currently tailoring this towards preparation for Train to Hunt but also for the upcoming season, and of course life in general. Over a decade ago I was an aspiring amateur bodybuilder and I can also provide my insights on helping you gain that extra weight to 180, if you're interested.

Hope you had a good weekend,

Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Dan good post, and I agree with all of your touch points on what and why it is important...however, I'll disagree on the sleep thing. I don't think 6 hours is nearly enough, especially when you're training hard for an hour or more per day. I won't re-hash what I've learned and believe to be true, so I'll just link a couple of video podcasts done by "Barbell Shrugged" with Dr. Kirk Parsley, who is a former Navy SEAL. He goes into his background on the show, but I think due to that background, he's uniquely qualified to talk about sleep, not to mention that's what he does for a living (as a doctor) now. They're a little long, but well worth the watch/listen. I usually listen to them while in the car driving...

http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/1-quick-way-naturually-increase-testosterone-sleep-w-dr-kirk-parsley-episode-113/

http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/better_at_everything/

Also, regarding diet, good list of clean foods that you mentioned, but I have no idea how you make it to 5-7k calories eating just what you wrote down. Have you actually counted up the macros that those foods provide? They're great, but you'd have to eat HUGE servings to get you to 5-7k cals. I'd be interested in seeing what else you're putting in your diet since hitting 3k cals (with the right macros) always seems to be a chore for me.

Overall good post and I agree with what you're saying. Hope you guys enjoy the vids.

IronMan8,

Thanks for your insights. You bring up a valuable point, 6 hours of sleep is not enough. However, for me it is the absolute best I can do while maintaining a busy work schedule, family time and trying to train as hard as I can.

I will check out the video podcasts that you linked here. Although I will try not to hold it against the man for being a former SEAL (ha ha).

You bring up an excellent point about the calorie intake as well. I should have been more specific, my daily intake ranges from 3500-7000 calories depending upon activity level. I haven't counted macros on the foods, however my main purpose for stating my calorie intake range was to show that I eat ALOT to maintain my mass and also perform well in all areas- weightlifting, cardio, functional fitness. I am 69'' 190lbs. currently and with my increased cardio level lately, I am having to eat more and more. For example, this past Friday I did a 12 mile ruck/run with 45lbs. in my pack (time was 2 hours 15 minutes). In order to recover from that I had to eat a lot more, much more than a normal day of weightlifting or Crossfit. I will mention that since I turned 30 I am gradually noticing a decline in my metabolism which is enabling me to more easily maintain muscle mass.

What does your day to day diet look like?

Thanks,

Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
Great post, Dan.

As I've worked my way into my 30s, I've definitely taken on a different view with respects to nutrition and rest. During my 20s I was eating anything and everything and getting no more than 7hrs and probably averaging closer to 6hrs. For the past 14 months I have been doing an 85:15 paleo diet, which allows me to cheat a little bit (the occasional pizza or cheeseburger to keep me sane). As for rest, I am sticking very close to 8hrs and it is doing wonders for both recovery and my overall mood...especially in the mornings.

Owning two huskies, means that I am trading off running days with my girlfriend and getting in roughly 15-25mi per week depending on how I am feeling. I typically trade off distance, interval, and speed days.

I hit the gym on the days that I am not running, and I go back and forth between two different circuit workouts (1 - Back and Legs; 2 - Chest, Shoulders, and Legs). I switch up the number of sets and reps that I do after each cycle (3x10, 4x6, 2x15, 10-8-6-4-2, etc). For pull-ups I will do 10-15 reps each set regardless of the type of workout that I am doing, and dips I am usually 15-20reps per set. Abs and core are targeted daily.

This mornings circuit (2x15):
Incline Press
Dips - 2x20
Front Raise
Reverse Fly
Step Ups
Reverse Lunges
Calves

ppreston,

I understand the noticeable difference in what we can get away with in our '20s that we cannot in our '30s. Still I am envious of the ability to get 7 hours or more of sleep. For me, I have gotten used to having closer to 6 hours of sleep (often much less) and still being able to perform (not necessarily good for my health).

I don't know much about the 85/15 diet but I will check it out to see what it includes. Your workout routine sounds like it has a quite a bit of running/cardio. The only thing I may question is maintaining the two circuit workouts you mentioned for a prolonged period of time. I think that pairing chest with shoulders is probably pretty hard on your shoulders (which are generally overworked anyway). I think they key is to vary your workout along the way to include altering the body parts that are paired together but also the points that you do the workouts throughout the week. I like what you said about your pull-up workouts, I also do a minimum of 10 per set. On Saturday I generally focus on Crossfit which often includes pull-ups, my back workout always includes lat pull downs and on leg day I always do a minimum of 6 sets of pull-ups in between front squats/weighted lunges.

Thanks again for your post, have a great week.

-Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
I agree with most of your thoughts, but I also think 6 hours is not enough. I really try to shoot for 8 hours, but with three kids and a working wife that's tough. Studies show that it takes a significant portion of deep sleep for muscle and tissue synthesis to take place. I really agree on the importance of recovery days. I try to do yoga on my recovery day, or a good session of dynamic stretching.

I try to avoid protein bars and go for nuts and fruits and string cheeses.

This week looked like this:

Sunday: one hour trail run
Monday: weights in AM, 2 hour mountain bike ride in PM
Tuesday: two hour mountain bike ride
Wednesday: weights
Thursday: rest
Friday: weights in AM, one hour hike in PM
Saturday: one hour hike in AM, Insanity workout in PM

This is pretty standard for me. Last year I was running much more as I was training for 50 mile trail run. This year I plan on mountain biking much more and running less.

Jason,

You are right, sleep is definitely my week point....for all the same reasons you listed. I like your approach to yoga and stretching. In the past 6 months I have really started to focus on stretching, twice a day, and I have seen significant improvements in my injury prevent and overall feeling of well-being.

What are the particular reasons you avoid the protein bars? I do not disagree though as nuts, fruit and string cheeses are also excellent sources of protein, essential fats and oils and natural sugar.

It looks like you had a great week of training planned. What exactly did your "weights" look like day to day?

Thanks for your insights,

Dan

OP
D

Dan M

WKR
I have found contrast showers to be helpful for recovery after punishing workouts. Some people recommend 3:1 Hot to cold ratio while others recommend 1:1 hot to cold of 30 seconds each. Either way seems to yield about the same results. The idea is that the hot and cold water cause your blood vessels to expand and contract respectively, thus creating a "flushing" effect. You'll definitely feel refreshed. I don't think it helps a significant amount, but when training hard, every little bit of recovery helps, be it extra sleep, time on foam roller, massage, sufficient protein, hydration etc all add up.

Poser,

Excellent point. I do not have much experience with the contrast showers, but I probably should get after it. The cold part doesn't sound like fun but I understand how it could definitely help.

After my 12 mile ruck/run on Friday I should have probably done something similar to aid my recovery. The foam roller is a lifesaver as well for me.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

This is the weight workout I do:

http://superhumancoach.com/strength-training-endurance-athletes/

I try to avoid protein bars because of the added sugars, although some aren't too bad. It's more of a motivation to try and eat as few processed foods as possible.

Sometimes I will have an average HR of 150+ on a two hour mountain bike ride. I'll usually max out at around 178 or so at least once during a ride.

I am also planning on doing a TTH even this year. Good luck in your training.

Ironman8

WKR
IronMan8,

Thanks for your insights. You bring up a valuable point, 6 hours of sleep is not enough. However, for me it is the absolute best I can do while maintaining a busy work schedule, family time and trying to train as hard as I can.

I will check out the video podcasts that you linked here. Although I will try not to hold it against the man for being a former SEAL (ha ha).

You bring up an excellent point about the calorie intake as well. I should have been more specific, my daily intake ranges from 3500-7000 calories depending upon activity level. I haven't counted macros on the foods, however my main purpose for stating my calorie intake range was to show that I eat ALOT to maintain my mass and also perform well in all areas- weightlifting, cardio, functional fitness. I am 69'' 190lbs. currently and with my increased cardio level lately, I am having to eat more and more. For example, this past Friday I did a 12 mile ruck/run with 45lbs. in my pack (time was 2 hours 15 minutes). In order to recover from that I had to eat a lot more, much more than a normal day of weightlifting or Crossfit. I will mention that since I turned 30 I am gradually noticing a decline in my metabolism which is enabling me to more easily maintain muscle mass.

What does your day to day diet look like?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I unerstand that sometimes sleep has to be sacrificed if you have children on a different sleep schedule than you. That's a tough one and really don't have much of a solution to that one :)

As for my personal diet, I loosly base it on paleo but add in rice, oats, potatos and some dairy. Basically I'll try to eat whole foods that aren't processed (or at least as little as possible). I'm definitely not 100% on this diet because I will have "cheat meals" and will go off the plan due to poor preparation or just being on the go and not able to prepare my own foods. Such is life. Macros that I shoot for are 190g/Protein, 300g/Carbs, and 120g/Fats which is roughly 3000 cals in a 25%/40%/35% ratio (respectively). I definitely don't hit them consistently every day, but I at least try to get close. Carbs seems to be the hardest to hit for me without adding in the processed crap. For reference, I'm 5'8 and 194 currently (would like to lean down to 185 over the next few months). Hope that answers your question.

I would, however, suggest counting your macros in something like a "MyFitnessPal" app to see what you're truly intaking. Most people don't eat as much as they think they're eating, but that's not to say you aren't though. Either way, it's a pretty good tool to keep yourself in check.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Dan,

I unerstand that sometimes sleep has to be sacrificed if you have children on a different sleep schedule than you. That's a tough one and really don't have much of a solution to that one :)

Macros that I shoot for are 190g/Protein, 300g/Carbs, and 120g/Fats which is roughly 3000 cals in a 25%/40%/35% ratio (respectively). I definitely don't hit them consistently every day, but I at least try to get close. Carbs seems to be the hardest to hit for me without adding in the processed crap. For reference, I'm 5'8 and 194 currently (would like to lean down to 185 over the next few months).

Your protein intake and high and your carb intake is even higher, if your figures are accurate. Barry Sears' Zone Diet formula is as follows:

Lean body mass X 0.5gm/per pound (sedentary) up to 1.0gm/per pound (logger/MMA fighter). Then add four grams complex carbs for every three grams of protein as determined above.

IE, 194# @ 18%body fat = 159# lean body mass. Most crossfitters who don't have a really physical job use 0.7 for a multiplier, so 0.7x159=112 grams of protein daily. Tens of thousands of crossfitters have empirically proven this to be accurate. Sear's 30/30/40 protein/carbs/fat macro-nutrient ratio is the same as that long advocated by bodybuilders for about four decades now. Sears' book "Mastering the Zone", is the second book someone should read after they get Rippetoe's "Starting Strength", if they want to take charge of their health and wellness.

ppreston

FNG
ppreston,

I understand the noticeable difference in what we can get away with in our '20s that we cannot in our '30s. Still I am envious of the ability to get 7 hours or more of sleep. For me, I have gotten used to having closer to 6 hours of sleep (often much less) and still being able to perform (not necessarily good for my health).

I don't know much about the 85/15 diet but I will check it out to see what it includes. Your workout routine sounds like it has a quite a bit of running/cardio. The only thing I may question is maintaining the two circuit workouts you mentioned for a prolonged period of time. I think that pairing chest with shoulders is probably pretty hard on your shoulders (which are generally overworked anyway). I think they key is to vary your workout along the way to include altering the body parts that are paired together but also the points that you do the workouts throughout the week. I like what you said about your pull-up workouts, I also do a minimum of 10 per set. On Saturday I generally focus on Crossfit which often includes pull-ups, my back workout always includes lat pull downs and on leg day I always do a minimum of 6 sets of pull-ups in between front squats/weighted lunges.

Thanks again for your post, have a great week.

-Dan

Dan - The 85/15 part of my diet has to with my take on Paleo, which appears to be very similar to what IronMan8 noted in his response to you. Between weight days and cardio days, I quickly learned that my body needed more carbs in order to recover from one workout to the next. So the '15' has to do with the foods that I eat that fall outside of Paleo 'definitions'...e.g. rice, potatoes, quinoa, and greek yogurt.

I too focus on not eating bars on a regular basis, as they are typically high in sugar. Plus, while not as convenient, whole foods are so much more satisfying!

Good point on the shoulders. At some point I need to start shuffling the exercises around. Recovery hasn't been too much of an issue with respects to the circuit workouts, but either my performance is going to plateau or I'm going to start experiencing issues with overworked areas. I think my next two workouts that I am going to focus on are going to pull from the thread on here that looked a dumbbells only...

Cheers,

Paul