Full length sized nickel plated brass won't chamber

Jimbee

WKR
I have some nickel plated Federal 300 wsm brass that has 2 or 3 firings that I full length sized and now it won't chamber in a factory Tikka. I loaded 10 rounds to try out a load, went to shoot and couldn't close the bolt. I tried chambering some of the sized brass that wasn't loaded yet, same thing, wouldn't close. It took lots of lube and a bit of force to full length size. Is this brass just garbage or wore out?

rayporter

WKR
take a Dremel tool and notch that shell holder so you know which one is a couple thou shorter.

i keep numerous brands of shell holders for just that reason.

also you can grind a couple thou off of one shell holder for some extra push.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I have some nickel plated Federal 300 wsm brass that has 2 or 3 firings that I full length sized and now it won't chamber in a factory Tikka. I loaded 10 rounds to try out a load, went to shoot and couldn't close the bolt. I tried chambering some of the sized brass that wasn't loaded yet, same thing, wouldn't close. It took lots of lube and a bit of force to full length size. Is this brass just garbage or wore out?
How has the nickel plated casings been for you? Are they any different than reloading brass? I have a bunch of nickel spent rounds but didn’t know if they are good to reload or not. Find 300wsm brass has been horrible

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
How has the nickel plated casings been for you? Are they any different than reloading brass? I have a bunch of nickel spent rounds but didn’t know if they are good to reload or not. Find 300wsm brass has been horrible
They've been working fine, primer pockets seem a bit loose. I don't see any reason not to use them.

I quit using them after scratching two sizing dies with nickel cases. This should not be a problem with clean casings ,but these are the only dies I have ever scratched.