full backpack, or backboard with dry bag

Going on my 1st Fly in Caribou hunt. I am trying to get everything i need without breaking the bank. would like to add, but have to watch the total budget. what are your thoughts on a backboard with a dry bag for packing gear, then packing animals out? Also what is a good brand that is mid range in price?

thanks

Do you mean taking in a pack frame with a dry bag attached to it as the bag? What is mid range price to you? 400-600? 200-400?

I don't know if it counts as mid price point, but Kuiu makes pretty light packs and you can get them on sale for 25% off new several times a year at sales. Like a full kit is around 6lbs or so. Usually they have on in May for memorial day. You can also check the classifieds or ebay.

A lot of folks like mystery ranch too, but I'm not sure their price structure, I think they are in the 300-400 range though.

I used an external aluminum style Cabela's pack on a moose hunt when I was younger. It did fine, didn't have a fancy meat shelf or anything and it didn't have a gucci belt, but it worked. You could check garage sales for stuff like that. It would be pretty cheap though for cost saving. My dad still has a pack like that.

I wouldn't do a drybag alone just strapped to a frame pack though. I would bring one in my pack but not as my pack if that's what you mean. It would work though. It just would create a little organization and layout difficulty, but it would work.

You could always barrow a pack too, from a friend if you have one who would loan it to you. Especially if expedition stuff isn't something you do regularly.

I would also look to something from Exo Mountain gear in the classifieds. Lots of used k3 frame and bag combos for sale in the 400-500 range. Really good quality stuff. They are readily available now that Exo has come out with the K4.

OP
S
thank you, I was hoping to be in the $200-300 range. I love to hunt and do it regularly, but this type of hunt may only be a couple of times. I understand the importance of the good quality pack, yet am trying to make sense of what i am buying for potentially only a couple of times use

Gotcha. Ya totally makes sense. The other thing you could do is go to a local store and try on a regular camping backpacking style bag as well. It won’t have a meat shelf or anything but they’re a lot more choices. Going to like bass pro, cabelas, rei ect and try on packs in your price range. See what fits. I think are many to choose from under 300. Cabelas has a “versa hunter” series. A gram pack that has a shelf and a detachable bag. I think like around 300 depending on the frame and bag combo.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a PITA not having pockets. If I was gonna do it that way I would have a couple dry bags. IE sleep system and food separated and maybe another for layers. Just make sure they are secured and tied down.

My buddy used Rent Guns and Gear for a pack for an elk hunt. It worked out great. Used it and shipped from the nearest town when we were done. Affordable and you don’t have to worry about loosing your food bag.