Friendly reminder for those hunting in the wet conditions

Gerbdog

WKR
Friendly reminder:
Looks to be a wet beginning of September in many places out west :

* Prep your leather now, get those boots re-conditioned and sealed if they need it, pay attention to the seams
* Re-apply water proofing on jackets and tents if they need it
* Bring extra pairs of clothing so one can stay at camp and dry while you soak through a pair
* Gaiters!

Anyone else have wet weather hunting tips and prep tips?

elkyinzer

WKR
The epic 2013 was my first backpack elk hunt and quite a few lessons were learned that year. Some good tips already.

I like to ditch the merino and go with light polyester when it's going to be soggy in warmer bow season temps. I think it feels better on skin when wet and dries way faster.

Definitely bring more clothes than you normally would. Just a dry pair of socks can be enough of a pick me up to push on over the next ridge.

Lots of leukotape for blister prevention.

Poser

WKR
For a frame of reference, I’ve been out in the (SW CO) high country every single weekend this summer and my boots have been completely saturated every single weekend. I’ve worn gaiters more consistently this summer than I ever have and they too have been completely saturated every weekend.

expect an aggressive dew point in the mornings and a total condensation party for trap tents -lots of moisture coming off the ground.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
What about a dry bag, etc to stuff wet tent/tarp in so it doesn’t soak everything else in pack? Assuming you’re packing up and carrying it’s you each morning… Pull it out to dry mid day over lunch break, etc…

Poser

WKR
What about a dry bag, etc to stuff wet tent/tarp in so it doesn’t soak everything else in pack? Assuming you’re packing up and carrying it’s you each morning… Pull it out to dry mid day over lunch break, etc…

Not a bad idea. I’ve definitely spent a lot of time carrying around a wet tent this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Really re-thinking a down bag at this point. Might have to suck up the weight/size and take a synthetic bag.

My sleeping bag has spent a fair amount of time damp this summer. It’s never gotten “wet”, but I’ve definitely packed it away damp due to the insane amount of condensation. It hasn’t caused me any issues, even when I did 5 days on this CDT this summer.

S.Clancy

WKR
I usually stay in camp when the weather is garbage. In my experience, the best hunting is right before the weather moves in and right after it breaks. So, I sit in the hot tent and eat food and drink hot drink instead of getting all wet.

But for wetness after, gaiters are a Godsend.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Thats the truth of it, ive found they will move out during the small breaks in the weather too, soon as that sun shines through even a little bit i see all the cows start coming out into openings to feed before ghosting back into the timber when the rain starts again

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I like to carry a small tarp if day hunting. I think mine is the SO DST. Makes it a little more comfortable during an afternoon storm and can be used if I get an animal down late and decide I just want to bivy until morning.

Though i dont pack extra clothes into the backcountry, i always have extra in the truck. Basically 2 of everything. I have a backup for everything if needed. Its a long ways to anywhere from where i typically hunt and don't want to have any downtime if i can help it.

I like to carry a small tarp if day hunting. I think mine is the SO DST. Makes it a little more comfortable during an afternoon storm and can be used if I get an animal down late and decide I just want to bivy until morning.
I also carry a small 4x6 tarp in my pack. It'll keep you dry if it storms, an emergency shelter if stuck out all night, shade while field dressing your animal, or laying your meat on it as you process. Ive made a lean too with mine using my trekking poles on a few occasions to stay dry.

Brooks

WKR
Get a waterproof cover for your pack. Carry a small towel in a zip lock baggie and a dry pair of socks in a zip lock baggie. If it’s been raining all day that towel and dry socks will be worth their weight.

Jaquomo

WKR
Yesterday at my central WY camp, a sudden storm rolled over the high ridge with little warning. Temp dropped from 74 to 44 and it was a Biblical hail and rain storm for a solid hour. A true hypothermia machine. Brutal. The hail piled up 3-4 inches by the time it ended. I was thinking about those tough guys who claim to not carry rain gear, but instead hunker down under a tree. Uh huh.

maxracx

FNG
All good info, you got me thinking about my backcountry set-up. So far I have never experienced rain but it only takes once.

Oldirtdog

FNG
Perfect timing on this thread. I was in the Gila last week scouting and got caught up in a nasty weather system that dumped rain on me incessantly. Tweaks I'm making in prep of next weeks hunt:
- Re-applying Nik Wax to my rain gear. Got completely wetted out.
- Did not have gaiters, huge mistake. Ordered some Kuiu Katana gaiters as soon as I got cell service! This would have saved me from dealing with wet feet for 3 days
- Trekking poles were a godsend. Brush was so overgrown and there was so much hidden rock and debris underneath, it greatly increased risk of injury. The ground was also so saturated/boggy that climbing out of drainages with my pack would have brought me to a crawl.
-When it starts to rain, don't wait to put your rain gear on! I put my pack rainfly and jacket pants on immediately and didn't wait to get wet.
- I was covering a lot of miles looking for elk/sign so to prevent wetting from the inside, I wore just my raingear while being active. Kept me from sweating out my clothes. Going to add a form fitting synthetic top to wear under my jacket for comfort instead of merino.
-Leuko tape saved my wet feet. I made sure to thoroughly dry out before carefully removing so as to not tear off my soggy calluses. Tape has serious adhesion.
- Added a SIL tarp, paracord, and figure 9 rope tighteners. Since I'm provisioning for 16 days, really need to set up a dry area outside of my tent for gear so everything doesn't need to be crammed in my tent. Also have somewhere I can be and still keep dry other than cooped up in my tent.
-Extra set of dry clothes and added additional socks
-Bringing a paperback book for entertainment during intense downpours when stuck in my tent and some sleep aids. I'd get woken up from intense rain throughout the night and got poor sleep/ had troubel getting back to sleep. Some tylenol PM is making its way into my kit to helps stay asleep.
- Since I'm getting my gear packed in to the basecamp I decided on, I added another pair of boots so I can have a better system of at least one dry pair of boots.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
As people mentioned in this thread... do bring rain jackets and a warm layer, hypothermia can be a real thing even in September, ive sat in rain storms shivering more than once, but if you can stick it out ive been rewarded with elk encounters soon after the rain parts, gotta be on the mountain and ready