Foxpro calls

Duh

WKR
I’m looking for some insight on Foxpro electronic calls. I grew up hand calling coyotes with decent success. Got out of predator hunting for a while and recently started back up with hand calls mainly.

My father in law gave me a Foxpro prairie blaster (think it’s the first generation). This think is a heavy unit but it has a ton of sounds on it. Long story short, it’s got some needed upgrades with the remote and unit all together. So I just sent it back in to get the updates and will likely pay whatever price is needed to make it functional.

My question is, am I missing out on any huge sound clarity or significantly better features with any of the newer Foxpro models?

I have the opportunity to buy a shockwave or a hammer Jack for fairly cheap. I just don’t know if the newer models are that much better for sound clarity or other features. I can live with packing around the heavier prairie blaster if it’s still in the same sound ballpark.

pirogue

WKR
I can’t speak for those Foxpro calls you mentioned, but I can relate to beginning, as a teenager or earlier, with hand calls. I traded in, what I recall was a FoxPro Crossfire, on the FoxPro X2S. I think there is much better sound qaulity and features. And if people think the sound is better, you know the critters do. I’ve had a lot more success, I’ll put it that way. Kinda like optics; only costs a little more to go first class

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Doesn’t seem like the clarity on this is as crisp as it could be. I don’t have anything to compare it to and YouTube videos don’t do the best for the clarity aspect.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Being an X2S owner as well, I would say that technology has obviously improved and newer units can probably get a bit louder with a cleaner sound.

The X24 (and any other current or future 24 bit devices) may not sound like a huge difference to us, but I'm sure those dogs can hear those extended frequencies.

I chose the X2S over the X24 for the feature set that in retrospect I don't use often.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
So with the newer units are the call sounds themselves different? Like is pup distress, dying Jack etc a different call sound all together or is the sound just more crisp?

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would say the older foxpro sounds are the same and maybe sound a little better with a higher quality speaker and can be louder with less distortion. There's always been some sounds that were recorded horribly. The newer released sounds are better. But, if you really want amazing sounding coyote vocals, going with something like the MFK soundpacks are a definite step up in quality.

If I was in the market for a newer generation call, I would do the X24 from MFK with their sounds pre-loaded.

I called in a lot of dogs with a FP Banshee. I would guess it’s from the same era as the prairie blaster. Before that I used a Johnny Stewart and it worked fine.

Now I have an X24. I don’t call more dogs with it than I did with the Banshee.

My personal opinion. Stand setup and the actual sound you are playing are 10x more important than what you are playing it with.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the shockwave. Clarity should be better because its newer, and the tx1000 remote is the best remote out there, the hammerjack does not use the tx1000 I believe.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a Prairie Blaster 2 with the TX 1000 remote. I have added a lot of sounds to it over the years, or I may consider getting a new one. The only real drawback I've seen is the weight and bulk. I think the sounds are pretty good until the battery starts to get low. I have rechargeable batteries and carry the second one in the truck. On a full day of calling I'll change batteries at 2-3pm, whenever I'm at the vehicle changing spots to make sure I don't have that issue.

The Foxbang feature has helped me get several doubles, triples, and a quad by stopping other coyotes with a wounded coyote sound after the first shot.

jhilker

FNG
The x24 is my go to call. As far as clarity it does sound less tin canny than my shockwave i had before. It has much more volume than I personally think you would ever need. The smaller size and lighter weight is the most important thing to me. I'm not sure if the magical 24 bit sound is a thing or not but it gives me a warm and fuzzy having it now.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m going to see how this prairie blaster sounds and functions after getting it back from Foxpro. Will likely upgrade after getting some serious reps in this winter. The X24 is really intriguing.