Form Feedback after one week Video link

Superdoo

WKR
So I took these videos in one evening of shooting in the basement. I had never shot a bow the week before this.
I'd really like to get some feedback because other than watching the nock on videos, I have no other instruction.
I noticed after viewing the first couple of videos my shoulders were drifting behind my hips and tried to correct it later.
My video editor was on the fritz, so I just popped these into a playlist.

Thanks for any insights.

This is where I get terrible.

I can tell you are drawing with your arm/shoulder and aren't using your back. You should start the motion with your arm, but the strength for pulling the bow back comes from your back. You literally draw your scapulas together. That's where the back tension cones from as well. You are overworking your arm. I can ID it, but don't know how to fix it.

I'd suggest putting the target higher so you don't need to aim so low. It will help with developing the proper form, get a target at shoulder height so you are initially shooting level.

Need a few pictures/videos from behind too. A little elevation so you can see the alignment of your draw arm with the bow.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I'm certainly no pro, so take this with a grain of salt.

Like you mentioned, you are leaning back quite a bit. Focus on standing up straight and bending at the waist when shooting at a downward angle. Your release looks long. You are barely touching the trigger with your finger, you want to wrap your finger around the trigger and pull through the shot to execute, not punch the trigger. Try shortening your release. Also, your release hand should have some backward movement after the shot if it is well executed. With regard your drawing, Chris Bee has a video on youtube called "3 archery mistakes and how to fix them" he gives a good example as to how to draw your bow.

All in all you are looking good for a week in!

looks like you're a little tense so relax a bit. especially your grip. as for what billy is saying, don't stiff arm the bow and try to draw back. start the draw with your release arm in the position it will be at full draw so you're using your back to pull and your arm falls into place. don't know if that makes sense as I'm horrible at explaining things lol.

Wapiti1

WKR
To me, your draw length looks long. That is probably the release being long, but I still think you may be 1/2" long on draw length. It looks like your front shoulder is coming up, and you are fully extending and locking the bow arm. At full draw, your bow arm should push forward and be almost locked, but still have a little push to be fully locked.

Start your draw with your elbow as high as you can get it. Your bow hand and release hand should be high, about eye level and release elbow up by your ear. That will force your back shoulder forward and put the drawing motion into your shoulder blades. As you draw, your bow hand comes down and you pull your shoulder back with as little arm movement as you can get. That's the best that I can describe it. If you pull with your arm, you can get shoulder pain or damage. I used to and modified my draw to fix it.

Jeremy

OR Archer

WKR
You’re off to a good start. Like mentioned correct your hips and relax the front hand. Also your release hand. No need to have a grip on it when using an index release.
Also don’t try and correct everything at once. Focus on one thing. Once it’s fixed focus on the next. It’s easier to build repetitive habits one at a time then 10 at once.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
Thanks for the replies.
The suggestion on shortening the release is interesting, because to me it was feeling too short and I was thinking of extending it. Mainly because getting my finger on it feels awkward. Can’t really explain why, but it does.
The draw comments are much appreciated. I could tell something wasn’t right, but I was trying to copy the nockon video. I’ll be looking for some more videos on drawing.
The comment on draw length also justifies my hypothesis. It does feel like my arm is extending more than it should and I’m having trouble acquiring the peep.

2 things you should never focus on when starting out are the peep and where your arrows are hitting. as long as you're hitting the target lol. peeps are adjustable and nothing says it was in the right place to begin with. when you focus on those 2 things, your subconscious has a habit of making minor changes to correct them, usually throwing off your form and you don't realize it. that's been my experience with new shooters anyway.

So I took these videos in one evening of shooting in the basement. I had never shot a bow the week before this.
I'd really like to get some feedback because other than watching the nock on videos, I have no other instruction.
I noticed after viewing the first couple of videos my shoulders were drifting behind my hips and tried to correct it later.
My video editor was on the fritz, so I just popped these into a playlist.

Thanks for any insights.
Draw is not the best, you look like it’s a really struggle to draw the bow. I would drop 10 lbs off your draw weight. To learn to draw with your back, try to never let your draw arm elbow go past your ear. To do this you have to start contracting your back as you raise your bow. This will also prevent should injuries. I learned this from the mtn physio guy, he is a PT that trains archers.

Attachments

• 998FD9BD-17D6-41F2-887A-7B77B6C0414A.jpeg
    998FD9BD-17D6-41F2-887A-7B77B6C0414A.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5

Wapiti1

WKR
2 things you should never focus on when starting out are the peep and where your arrows are hitting. as long as you're hitting the target lol. peeps are adjustable and nothing says it was in the right place to begin with. when you focus on those 2 things, your subconscious has a habit of making minor changes to correct them, usually throwing off your form and you don't realize it. that's been my experience with new shooters anyway.
This is sound advice. Focus on a comfortable and repeatable anchor. Like index finger knuckle touching ear lobe and string touching nose, or some other repeatable combo. Then move the peep to fit your anchor.

A comfortable and repeatable anchor will make your life much simpler.

Jeremy