Forloh Allclima Softshell One year Review

264 MHC

FNG
I'm new to the forum but have been reading gear/clothing reviews on here for quite awhile, so I thought I would post up one of my own, to hopefully help some others looking into this piece. This is going to be fairly long but I like to be thorough.

I purchased my Forloh Allclima Softshell, in Exposed Camo, around this time last year and have had a chance to use it quite a bit since then. My hunting is Waterfowl on open water, some flooded timber, and Whitetail stand hunting, so my view of the performance may not line up with yours. I just want to go through the features of the jacket, where it needs improvement, and discuss how it has worked for me.

IMG_4788.jpg IMG_4798.jpg

First off I will discuss sizing, since that seems to be one of the most asked questions about outerwear. I am 6'0", 215 lbs. I wear a 44 regular Suit jacket, 35" Sleeves and XL in most clothing. I am not super athletic, I do drink beer, but I'm not fat either. The sizing of my clothing is generally determined by my back/shoulders and not my mid section.

Based on reviews on the website, and their sizing chart, I originally purchased a Large in this jacket. When I received it, I liked the fit in the mid section, the sleeves were the right length but slightly baggy around the forearms, and the shoulders were workable but a touch tight. Because this is an outerlayer, I put my normal cold weather layers under and immediately felt restricted in the shoulders so I decided to exchange for an XL. Forloh's exchange process is very easy and also free. They sent out the new jacket once mine was shipped to them, but before they received it. Excellent. The XL is what I have now and the fit is just OK. I do now have ample room in the shoulders with layers under, but the sleeves are quite baggy, maybe a hair long, and the mid section is very loose. I would not describe this as an athletic cut, definitely more square with the waist measurement close to the chest measurement. The sleeves are not cut well in my opinion. Way too baggy at the wrist with no taper from the elbow. It is better with a puffy under, but would have been more comfortable and less bulky with some taper to the wrist. It does have velcro closures at the wrist but they are not well designed. More on this later. I understand it is hard to have a jacket that works both with and without multiple layers but there is a good middle ground that this jacket missed, at least for me.

This jacket has some nice features but is fairly minimal. It has two zippered hand pockets, backpack height, one external left chest pocket that is angled for some reason, and a left bicep pocket. It does have pit zips and some Suede like elbow pads. All zippers are YKK Aquaguard, thumbs up here. It has a waist cinch, and a cinch either side of the hood, but no rear hood adjustment, more on this later as well. All seems are sealed and taped and the material is of the 3 Layer waterproof breathable type.

Material:

IMG_4801.jpg IMG_4802.jpg

I really like the material this jacket is made from. It is a 100% polyester 3 layer. The outside fabic is soft and smooth. It is quieter than any 3 L rain jacket I have ever seen and most normal soft shells, but not fleece quiet. The membrane has less crinkle than Gore windstopper. I have no qualms using this still hunting deer. I am not into Archery so this may not be quiet enough for that but I'd say its close. The interior is a microfiber type, similar in feel to the outside of a Kuiu peloton 97, but not fleece like at all. It is all bonded together and there is not a secondary lining, just one homogenous material throughout the jacket, except where it is doubled to make the pockets. The material is not super stretchy, but does have some give to it. The seems, being taped, have no stretch. It has enough overall stretch to be comfortable and not come tight when fully articulating my arms. Overall, excellent material.

Pockets:

IMG_4794.jpg IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg IMG_4793.jpg

The hand pockets are definitely high enough to be above pack straps. Slightly awkward in everyday use but doesn't really bother me. There is no lining in the pockets, just the outer material on one side and the inner material on the other. They could be bigger but I can get my whole hand in just fine. There is good coverage over the zippers to prevent water from running in and compromising the zipper. The chest pocket is a little strange. The opening is angled, I'm guessing just for style reasons, but the pocket is open all the way to the center main zip seam. This makes it feel smaller and shallower than it is. It does have a zipper garage at the top to keep water from running in where the zipper ends (never fully sealed at that location). This is a nice detail to prevent a common leak point. The bicep pocket is fine. It doesn't affect the function of the sleeve, but I've always thought bicep pockets were pretty pointless. It is maybe 4"x 3" with the opening only about 3". I have been keeping my hunting license/ duck stamp there just because its there. There are no interior pockets.

Continued next post...

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4811.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
264 MHC

264 MHC

FNG
The Hood

IMG_4811.jpg IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

The hood on this jacket is probably my least favorite part. It is large, maybe designed for a helmet, not ideal for my uses. It really flaps around when riding on a boat at high speed. The collar comes up just below the chin in the front and does have a zipper garage as you would expect. It has two pull tabs on either side with unnecessarily large plastic keepers. When pulling the hood tight, the excess cord loop is just sticking out in front of your face, ready to snag on everything, and it has multiple times. The brim is not particularly stiff, and angles down too far. When the hood is cinched, the brim really impedes my vision. And because it does not have the third cinch on the back, it cannot be pulled tight around my head and does not move with me at all. Not ideal for looking up and around at ducks in the sky. It does help to wear a brimmed hat so the the brim can force to hood around, but there are issues with this approach. I wanted to be able to wear this hunting in steady rain. If you have a brimmed hat under the hood when its raining, the hat will inevitably become saturated and wick moisture right to your head, defeating the purpose of the hood. This jacket is waterproof and should be able to be usable for hunting in a down pour. This needs a redesign.

The Cuffs

IMG_4804.jpg IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg IMG_4808.jpg

This is another area in design that needs attention. The Velcro is pretty standard stuff and doesn't feel as high quality as what Sitka and others use at this location. The soft side is on the adjustment strap, and the hard side is on the cuff, backwards from every other jacket I have used. The issue is that there is a 2.5" strip of velcro on BOTH the strap and the cuff. This makes for a very small amount of adjustability. There is no way to tighten the cuff all the way to my wrist before it runs out of velcro. When pulled all the way tight, the velcro on the strap is literally all the way past the end of the velcro on the cuff. The velcro on the strap also does not run all the way to the end of the strap, leaving material flapping freely at the end at any adjustment setting. And because the hand opening is too large to begin with, there is a lot of extra material to contend with when cinching the cuff. This would be a problem even with proper adjustment range. I do however like the asymmetrical design that gives more protection on the top of the hand, and the material does feel nice on the skin. Overall this needs improvement.

Is it Waterproof?

The answer to this is YES. This jacket is highly waterproof and does not leak. The seams are very well constructed, and the minimal pockets mean minimal fail points. I have had this jacket in pouring rain while on the move, been pounded by heavy salt spray running a boat in 25+ Winds, trudged through some freshly wet brush in the woods, and accidentally dipped my elbows while picking up decoys. The DWR coating was very good out of the package and held up OK. I'm convinced salt spray kills DWR instantly so it would probably last much longer with only fresh water exposure. I haven't bothered to recharge it, but washing the salt out helped. The softer face material and suede elbow pads do wet out but dry quickly. PVC is the only thing that doesn't retain moisture in this way.

Is it Breathable?

Breathability seems quite good, but I don't have much experience with any other Waterproof/Breathable Jackets in this price bracket so take this with a grain of salt. It is the best I have used in an outer layer. The pit zips are key to this, and I will never buy an outer layer jacket without them again. The pit zips on this jacket do come with a mesh liner in the opening that prevents it from opening past an inch or so wide. I cut this out of mine so they open much wider now. They could be 2-3" Longer but work fine.

IMG_4796.jpg IMG_4797.jpg

Is it Windproof?

I would say not 100% but maybe 95%. Some of this may just be the thinness of the material. Wearing just this jacket in a cold wind, you can feel the cold coming through, but not necessarily actual airflow. The material just feels cold without any extra insulation. Its not like putting on a PVC Grundens jacket that blocks everything even without insulation, which l consider being fully windproof. This leads me to believe there is some air getting through. This probably helps breathability. Hope this explanation makes since.

Is it Warm?

Not really. Its really just an uninsulated heavy-ish weight shell. I was slightly disappointed in this at first because I was hoping this could be a single layer to wear when its damp and our average 50*. It is advertised as having a fleece lining so I thought it was going to have more insulation. But it is more versatile because of this. I have worn it on 70* rain days and been comfortable, but wouldn't want to go much higher than that.

Is it Durable?

I have been through thick stuff a few times with this jacket on and had some run ins with briars and thorns. It has held up well with only one small pull on the left arm. I was tangled up pretty good when that one happened. That being said, I was usually being pretty careful as to not tear up my brand new expensive jacket. I would not treat this the same way I would a heavy Carhartt, but don't think it was designed for that kind of use.

Subjective Nit Picks

There are a few other things that could be different to make this jacket better to me. These are small things that may not matter to others. I would like some interior pockets and I wish there was a right chest pocket. I shoot left handed so anything in the left chest pocket can get in the way. I would also like a two way zipper on the front to increase comfort when sitting. The tail of the hem could be longer as it is not much longer than the front.

Summary

This is an expensive jacket at $450 currently. Think it was $400 last year (d**n inflation). Is it worth the investment? I have mixed feelings on this. I absolutely love that it is made in the USA and don't mind paying a premium for that. The materials used and the construction are top notch. It is the best made piece of clothing I have ever had. It is waterproof so far and breathable enough for me. It just lacks some of the refinement in the design that you see from competing brands. This is somewhat understandable from a new company, but some of the issues are so simple. The fit isn't great, the hood isn't great, the cuffs aren't great. All of these things should be great for this amount of money. Maybe Forloh can take user feedback and improve with future offerings. I would absolutely be open to trying more of their products in the future after seeing the quality, and will likely keep using this jacket for years to come, and just deal with the issues I have.

IMG_4824.jpg

Hopefully this will help others understand this jacket better, and maybe my issues wouldn't be a problem for you. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks for Reading,

Cole

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Great review!

A couple of quick notes from someone who owns the same jacket:

1. The hood is great when cinched down and is in fact one of my favorite things about the jacket (quality of construction, seams, and the material are my favorites).

2. I have noticed the same thing regarding temperature transfer in cold wind without an insulating layer but have also noticed the same in a cold rain but the rain was the telling point for me. While I felt the cold penetrate into my back and shoulders in a freezing rain, my garments were bone dry. The problem here isn’t the garment but rather that it’s not insulated (by design I believe as it’s supposed to be used in a layering system) and requires an insulation layer. When I put this jacket over a puffy (with the waist cinched) there is no wind/water penetration and if I pull back the neck it’s like a personal heater for my face as the thermal energy rises up through the exposed opening.

3. I love the cuffs but wish the velcro was of a higher quality if that were possible.

4. The pockets are surprisingly warm for having no actual insulation.

I hunt predominantly in the midwest/southeast and this is one of my favorite pieces of clothing and is with me at all times from early through late season but I find it particularly helpful in the “wet cold” that is so common in the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
264 MHC

264 MHC

FNG
Appreciate the reply. Interesting how the same features work better for some people than others. Just goes to show how subjective clothing reviews are. I agree 100% that it’s designed to be used with layers and that makes it overall more versatile. Just out of curiosity, what size is yours?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the review. Hopefully the company reads your input. But my sense is that the company has been more active on RS when posting about sales, restocks and Duck Dynasty.

Nice review. Thanks for sharing the info. Been eyeing this jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk