For those who shot elk at waterholes in Sept, did it happen at dusk, mid-day or dawn?

Roc8man

FNG
I'm specifically trying to determine this for archery and muzzleloader since they occur during the same time frame (September), so when did you get your shot (archery or muzzleloader) at a waterhole on an elk? Dusk, Mid-day or Dawn?

Laramie

WKR
Your trying to figure out when it is best to sit. The answer is it depends on the weather, stage of rut, and hunting pressure in the area. In general, evenings produce the most trail cam pictures at waterholes. However, I have had more opportunities during the rut in the mornings. Bulls rutting through the night seem to like to cool off/wallow in the morning before heading to bed for the day. We also get a gob of pictures mid day when it is dry out and the water hole is secluded.

Bottom line is if you want to shoot an elk at a waterhole, you should be there all day imo..

OP
R

Roc8man

FNG
Your trying to figure out when it is best to sit. The answer is it depends on the weather, stage of rut, and hunting pressure in the area. In general, evenings produce the most trail cam pictures at waterholes. However, I have had more opportunities during the rut in the mornings. Bulls rutting through the night seem to like to cool off/wallow in the morning before heading to bed for the day. We also get a gob of pictures mid day when it is dry out and the water hole is secluded.

Bottom line is if you want to shoot an elk at a waterhole, you should be there all day imo..
I appreciate the info. I figured trying to ask for such details would be too much so thank you!

11boo

WKR
I have spent days sitting on water. Took me that long to figure out we have too much water to hope for anything.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
My best luck has always been early in the season and in the evenings. I've sat on wallows a handful of times from 11am (after I finish a morning hunt) till dark and never had anything come in until an hour before dark. That being said, I have had bulls on the camera at all times of the day.

rclouse79

WKR
This will be the first season I have had a weekend to scout right before the season. I found a peak that gives me a view of a pond where I stalked a spike to 30 yards last year. I plan to watch it from afternoon till dark and then again from first light to mid morning. Then hike out and do the same think from a different ridge. I hope to get some good intel without blowing anything out. It will be nice if I can see where they come into the pond.
The spike last year was swimming mid day.

Laramie

WKR
I have game cam pics of Bulls at all hours on wallows. All depends on the weather, the rut and hunting pressure. I can definitely tell
you one thing for sure, they always tend to show up when I am NOT there! GOOD LUCK!
They have an uncanny ability to be there when hunters are not. It can be frustrating as hell.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot half a dozen personally and our group has killed around 20 over the years. Estimate around 80% have been killed from 4 til just before end of legal shooting hrs. Over half of them within 20 min of last shooting light. That being said, plenty of nights with no action too.

Elk will wallow any time of the day. I've had mature bulls hit wallows at noon. I shot my bull in a wallow at 1625. But he was up and moving by the wallow bugling at 1300.

Broadhead

FNG
My crew has shot two cows and one bull over water, both in the evening. Although, that's probably because we hit it hard in the morning chasing bugles and head towards the water mid-afternoon to sit the rest of the day. We've had a lot of elk come in right at/after dark to water.

Coueser

FNG
I think water hole is success is highly dependent on weather. We tend to chase bugles in the morning and if we do sit water, we do it the last 3 hours of daylight or so. If they are bugling in the afternoon, we tend to not sit water at all, however. If it’s unseasonably hot, though, and conditions are dry good water sources are a great way to archery hunt.