for my "old achy" back

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Ive been on the hunt for a ultra light chair for awhile now, and i was not ready to settle for a helinox chair zero coming in at 1lb.
I understand there is logs around and trees to sit back against, but for the times i don't need to rely on that, id rather bring a ultra light chair
if feasible..

Over the weekend i placed a couple of orders for some ultra light style chairs that might actually be what i am looking for..

First one is Mountain Smith trekking pole chair (a lot like kifaru field chair) 4oz
The other is the Qwikback ultra light chair at 2.65oz!!!

I will be still bringing my z seat which ill place under me as always for insulation
Hopefully they can stand up to the testing i am going to put them through before bringing them out!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Litesmith chair, it's OK and when weight is the overriding factor on a trip- I bring it (w/ a z-seat.) The Helinox Zero on the other hand, is a real chair, a really nice chair :) I introduced my wife to one on backpacking trip, needless to say the chairs are no longer a nicety when she goes, but a necessity :D

I just ordered a Hillsound stool- something that splits the difference in weight between the Litesmith and the Helinox- I can take an educated guess and say it won't be as comfy as the Helinox, but more comfortable than the Litesmith, but will likely will find it's way into my pack when the wife isn't going.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have the Litesmith chair, it's OK and when weight is the overriding factor on a trip- I bring it (w/ a z-seat.) The Helinox Zero on the other hand, is a real chair, a really nice chair :) I introduced my wife to one on backpacking trip, needless to say the chairs are no longer a nicety when she goes, but a necessity :D

I just ordered a Hillsound stool- something that splits the difference in weight between the Litesmith and the Helinox- I can take an educated guess and say it won't be as comfy as the Helinox, but more comfortable than the Litesmith, but will likely will find it's way into my pack when the wife isn't going.
Seems like you have to lean back/recline for the litesmith chair to work, is that true?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup- pop down the two carbon rods and lean back; it really is a good design and light weight, but nothing in the realm of the Helinox Zero as far as comfort

Jtd432

FNG
Ive been on the hunt for a ultra light chair for awhile now, and i was not ready to settle for a helinox chair zero coming in at 1lb.
I understand there is logs around and trees to sit back against, but for the times i don't need to rely on that, id rather bring a ultra light chair
if feasible..

Over the weekend i placed a couple of orders for some ultra light style chairs that might actually be what i am looking for..

First one is Mountain Smith trekking pole chair (a lot like kifaru field chair) 4oz
The other is the Qwikback ultra light chair at 2.65oz!!!

I will be still bringing my z seat which ill place under me as always for insulation
Hopefully they can stand up to the testing i am going to put them through before bringing them out!

How did those 2 chairs work out?

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I used both for a sort period of time. they were comfortable however the only drawback that was a deal breaker for me was the constant fiddling with the trekking poles or carbon sticks..

Inevitably, I went with the Helinox Zero. much worth the weight to comfort for me..

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider

Good choice on the Hillsound BTR stool! Sits higher than most chairs (17") and is great for glassing and cooking, plus of course easy to pack and use when taking a break in the backcountry. Hillsound makes great gaiters as well.

I was reading the technical specs on the helinox zero and it says the poles are aluminum. I wonder why they don’t off them in carbon to bring the weight down below 1 lb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk