Food for back country hunting

Tbuckus

WKR
Was just figuring out the same thing.
not sure if the link works, but it a formula for figuring out caloric intake. What caught my attention is that it used elevation climb in the formula. I calculated mine and actually came pretty close to their example.

Theirs ends up over 2lb a day After you convert calories to lbs.

tlaloc22

FNG
Old thread, I know, but this is a helpful chart. I threw some FBombs in my daily rations, last year. I also switched over to Peak Refuel, since they have a good calorie count
I just saw these Peak Refuel and the protein amount looks perfect - how did they taste?

tlaloc22

FNG
What does everyone do for “meat” bars. I tried the Epic, DNX, but they were so-so. Any other recommendations? I was going to try the 1st phorm meat sticks .

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone do for “meat” bars. I tried the Epic, DNX, but they were so-so. Any other recommendations? I was going to try the 1st phorm meat sticks .
I turn some game meat into 20-30lbs of "meat sticks" at my local processor. That lasts me a full year until the next batch. They're preserved enough to not go bad on a 1 week backpacking trip, but otherwise need to be kept frozen. I put a few 1lb bricks in my fridge so I can always grab a handful as I pack my bag for a day in the mountains.

sdirks3

FNG
Brought a few varieties of this recipe on my last trip (swapped up the nuts/fruit/sweetener) and it was a beast of a breakfast at a solid weight. Pro tip, works great prepped with hot water in the morning just like you would do instant oats if you prefer a hot breakfast to the cold soak.

Attachments

• 35e13fe4-4a49-49d7-a293-9151f8047a80.png
    35e13fe4-4a49-49d7-a293-9151f8047a80.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
Brook.Trout
Brought a few varieties of this recipe on my last trip (swapped up the nuts/fruit/sweetener) and it was a beast of a breakfast at a solid weight. Pro tip, works great prepped with hot water in the morning just like you would do instant oats if you prefer a hot breakfast to the cold soak.
This looks pretty good actually! How much does it make physically? Would it fit into a jetboil cup? To let it soak overnight or in the hot water in the morning. This would be something I’d pre make into a vacuum seal bag and have for breakfast.

sdirks3

FNG
This looks pretty good actually! How much does it make physically? Would it fit into a jetboil cup? To let it soak overnight or in the hot water in the morning. This would be something I’d pre make into a vacuum seal bag and have for breakfast.
Darn good! Probably? I packed mine in some mylar bags and just cooked/ate out of them directly, but I made a test batch at home in a pint Mason jar and it had maybe 0.5-1 inch of head room

sumanum

FNG
Breakfast: Svenhard bear claw or two
Lunch: tortilla with tuna pack and Cheetos
energy snacks: Cliff Bars, Cheetos, jerky
Dinner: Shin brand Ramen
I will never eat those twelve dollar dehydrated rubbery mystery meat meals again.