FNG from Western Colorado

Hey Everybody,

Been lurking and beginning to post on here over the past few months. I've been living in the Crested Butte area in CO for the past couple years. I didn't know squat about hunting, but my wife grew up in a hunting family and insisted I do my hunter safety class. So I did the class and drew an elk-rifle tag last year. Despite not harvesting anything, I am hooked and she is realizing what she has done. ;)

Anyways, I'm doing my best to be a sponge and learn all that I can. Thanks for having me.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new CO member.

Eddie

Hey Everybody,

Been lurking and beginning to post on here over the past few months. I've been living in the Crested Butte area in CO for the past couple years. I didn't know squat about hunting, but my wife grew up in a hunting family and insisted I do my hunter safety class. So I did the class and drew an elk-rifle tag last year. Despite not harvesting anything, I am hooked and she is realizing what she has done. ;)

Anyways, I'm doing my best to be a sponge and learn all that I can. Thanks for having me.
Pick your in-laws brains and their relatives about good hunting spots and techniques. Just don't mention GMUs or good hunting locations on the internet otherwise you'll burn the spot(s).

Welcome! You got a good woman! Now give up the goods, where are the elk? LOL! JK! New to elk myself. Tried CO elk in 2022 got skunked. But had a good time. I'll be back.

Redthies

FNG
Welcome! You got a good woman! Now give up the goods, where are the elk?
If you don’t mind an audience while you hunt, there is a herd that hangs out inside the town limits of a certain SW Colorado ski town. If you are looking to start your own hunting tv show, you’d have dozens of phone videos to choose from!

applesauce, welcome to the addiction!

OP
A
Welcome! You got a good woman! Now give up the goods, where are the elk? LOL! JK! New to elk myself. Tried CO elk in 2022 got skunked. But had a good time. I'll be back.
It's crazy how happy I was to be 'unsuccessful' at something. I was so grateful to just not be at my desk and to instead be out hiking and camping for a week. Good luck this year.

OP
A
If you don’t mind an audience while you hunt, there is a herd that hangs out inside the town limits of a certain SW Colorado ski town. If you are looking to start your own hunting tv show, you’d have dozens of phone videos to choose from!

applesauce, welcome to the addiction!
Thanks!

Ha! We go look at a certain herd that hangs out on protected land on our post dinner walk frequently. Glad those elk haven't told more of their friends of the safe land of milk and honey.

Last edited:
CB is an amazing spot. I am in the Salida area. I don’t know Jack about honey holes & whatnot around there, but I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned about finding them in my area if you ever need help.

OP
A
CB is an amazing spot. I am in the Salida area. I don’t know Jack about honey holes & whatnot around there, but I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned about finding them in my area if you ever need help.
I appreciate that. Im due to pop in to Western Rec soon for some broadheads. I’ll let you know.

Redthies

FNG
Salida is a great town. Been there a couple of times. Some of your neighbors look delicious! Snapped the pic below in Salida last Sept…