Flying with a long gun

I am flying out to turkey hunt in Utah in a few days. I've borrowed a lockable gun case from a friend. It looks like American Airlines policy is that any checked baggage bigger than 62" total (width+lenght+height) is an upcharge of $200. This gun case is longer than 62" when added all together. Looks like other airlines have that same 62" limit as well. Looks like many cases (pelicans etc) from my research all total more that 62".

My question....do airlines normally break out a tape measure and make you do a huge upcharge for flying with a gun case?

wavygravy

FNG
No, just check it in and pay before you get there online. Once you're in line they'll know to pull you aside for your inspection. I've never had an issue. Same goes for my ski equipment, just play it cool and hope you dont get an ahole behind the counter. 99% of the time they're cool tho.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If there is a question in their mind about size, they will, and in my case they did. I long ago decided not to travel by air with long guns. I always had guns at my disposal when I got back there. Sometimes you don't have that luxury.

MattB

WKR
I am flying out to turkey hunt in Utah in a few days. I've borrowed a lockable gun case from a friend. It looks like American Airlines policy is that any checked baggage bigger than 62" total (width+lenght+height) is an upcharge of $200. This gun case is longer than 62" when added all together. Looks like other airlines have that same 62" limit as well. Looks like many cases (pelicans etc) from my research all total more that 62".

My question....do airlines normally break out a tape measure and make you do a huge upcharge for flying with a gun case?
I don't recall every (20-30 flights) having to pay an oversized bag fee for either my SKB double bow case or roller duffel which are both well over the limit. Start with a "hello" or "good morning" and a big smile. Just make sure you have locks on every place on the case that will accept one.

Reactions: WRO

woods89

WKR
I've flown to Denver and back with a rifle twice now with Southwest. Zero extra charges for Pelican Vault single rifle.

Smile, say "I need to check a firearm" rather than "I have a gun", and my guess is you'll be fine. Again, my experience is with Southwest, your airline may be different.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
That's not correct, the only thing that matters is the weight and overall length. I just flew this past fall for a trip with a double sided long gun case using American Airlines. Cost should be the same as a normal checked bag unless the rules drastically changed between November 2021 and now. TSA also will definitely not break out a measuring tape.

Gutshotem

WKR
I've never had an issue with being oversized but I am always cognizant to keep it under the airlines weight limit, using a pelican 1750. Use your own locks, keep ammo in boxes, make sure it's unloaded and be polite.

WCB

WKR
With that said...Policy and practice of the policy is not the same. I have flown dozens of times with firearms on several airlines and never paid a oversized bag fee for firearms. No one has ever said anything about it. I even just took the sticker off my gun case with a "heavy lift with your legs" sticker from when I flew to New Zealand. zero extra charge.

I'll be flying with Southwest this Friday to MT with my double rifle case. I was just thinking if they make me pay the extra $75 it will kinda suck but possibly $200???? wtf? I would see if you can find a smaller lockable case and take the barrel off you shotgun and not worry about it.

ODB

WKR
There is a sports equipment get-out-of-$200-charge free clause. Look it up on your carrier. Of course it’s not called that but look up exemptions for sports equip.

MattB

WKR
There is a sports equipment get-out-of-$200-charge free clause. Look it up on your carrier. Of course it’s not called that but look up exemptions for sports equip.
That appears to be correct for American Airlines, with the width x height x length of up to 126" for sporting equipment. I don't recall other airlines necessarily having a codified policy around that, but most tend to be more flexible with sporting equipment (e.g. skis, gold clubs, guns, archery) versus regular checked luggage that exceeds the maximum volume.

From the policy on "Special Items and Sporting Equipment":
"Rules, exceptions and packing instructions apply to special items. The maximum weight and size for all items is 100 lbs / 45 kgs (some exceptions apply) and 126 in / 320 cm (length + width + height). If your equipment exceeds allowances, contact a freight forwarder. All bag fees are non-refundable and apply per person, each way. Overweight and/or oversize charges may apply."

So I have been on over 50 flights with long guns in tow and I have never had anyone measure my gun case or try to charge me an oversize bag fee. I think mine are both boyt double gun cases. I have no idea how long they are.

Airlines give you a little leeway with sports equipment. Having said that, my biggest case is a 60” skb.

I think a lot depends on where you are flying from. I have flown from NYC airports to pheasant hunt where the police come and run your ID and the guns serial number along with the TSA stuff. Coming home from Kansas they couldn’t give two shits. Open the case, quick peak and lock it up.

+1 to location making a difference. Flying out of both Austin and Den, airline person tagged it and handed me off to TSA pretty quick for a peek and that's it. Never had anyone weigh or measure...I always figured the longer that thing sits there at check in, the greater the chances of spooking the herd.

OP
volunteerconservationist
Thanks the replies and opinions. MattB read the stuff for American that I saw and wondered about. The case I borrowed is 50X14X5 or so and that is over 62 but it in no way looks huge. So hopefully I can smile, comply, and get it checked in with no hassles.