Fly fishing?

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gotta ask, is this for sport or do you eat them? I’ve heard folks eat those things? They gross me out. When I was a kid we went to a lake that was having a big carp die off. From carp herpes. Dumpsters full of bloated rotting sore covered carp all over the place, the smell saturating everything for miles. Nasty.
Sport for me. Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy a good BWO or March brown hatch, but once it’s nice out I’d rather catch 1 carp than 100 trout.

I have had smoked carp when I lived in MN that were speared through the ice and it was pretty good.

OP…Learn to fly fish, it’s worth it.
27dc69389e4858b5809b5b8ab6de935f.jpg

5476e22c5dd4b342c80a4d38677177e9.jpg

0bb19b32cf4cd987272e3cf06e0ca197.jpg

046d1f365a4df349d2e3a62093182645.jpg

3d82611cfcccdeeeb32fb651e2c00822.jpg

87c174e14da382fdf84eb643f5d3ed67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
N

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure and wear your tweed!

I'm leaving Saturday for a few days fly fishing in New Mexico.
Nothing but tweed vests and Armani waders from here out! LOL. Hope you hammer ‘em in NM! Matter of fact I’m trying to put a scouting trip together down there this summer and may hit the group up for guide recommendations on the San Juan. Gotta start somewhere.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Fly fishing is easy if You want it to be if You ever used a cane pole... Pick stick up pause...set stick down the lingo was the hardest part for me and I do catch more fish on the river just because I can put things in places a swim bait or a rooster tail would never go and it's great for people that can't sit still or don't want to just sit guzzling beer all day... I suggest a stop by the old YouTube and look up Mad river outfitters introduction videos.

Luked

WKR
I have fly fished since i was about 14, am 45 now so quite a while.
I havent done it recently as much as I used to as I got big into the bass fishing and bass boats scene. But now getting out of that I have gotten back more into the fly gear.
Where I live it is mostly stocked trout parks with natural springs. Still can be a challenge but depends on how you look at it. if your wanting to go catch your limit for dinner its not to hard to do. If your chasing a trophy thats a whole different story even in the stocked parks.
I have fly fished in Colorado once hoping to again next year for a vacation trip. Have also fished the smokey mountains in TN 2 times and that is a challenge big time.
This year we had planned a trip to the FL keys so I would be able to chase some saltwater fish around, but the wife bummed her knee and leg up pretty good so might not get to do that one this year.
Planning a small trip to AR to fish the white river next month.

Fly fishing is the same as anything else in life. You get what you give. If your a buy once gry once and dont mind spending money for high end gear you can do it in short order easily. the most expensive rod I have at this point now is about $200 and i can catch them right with the guys using the $1000 Winston and T&T rods. Its all about what you want to do and what you want for gear.
Like someone else said. You can buy Sitka or Wally world camo..Deer dont care what your wearing.

duckhuntr

FNG
Maybe somebody already said it, but using fly gear to me is like archery is to hunting animals. Its generally more difficult and bigger learning curve than spin/baitcasting in most scenarios, especially for bigger fish. But the challenge is fun. And you can definitely out fish all the bait guys if a good hatch is going on. . . I do both depending on the scenario

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fishing takes a back seat to hunting, but if I do fish I prefer bass & walleye these days. Being a Rocky Mountain guy trout kind of gets old. Catching them on a fly rod helps a little, but it’s still not the most fun. Plus most rivers are shoulder to shoulder with fishermen these days, kind of defeats the purpose of getting away.