Florida Goliath Grouper Tag

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I drew my first limited entry fish tag!
Florida is opening up a Goliath season next spring, first one since 1990, and I drew one of the 50 Everglades included tags. There is a smaller (24”-36”) slot limit, and limited to line and reel only, but still pretty cool. I wish I had this kind of luck with elk tags!
Anybody else apply?

CRJR45

WKR
No , the way I read it , it was $500 for one fish under 36 inches ? Too many other tasty fish for me to pay that .
They're just a nuisance down here , between them and the shark you get about half what you catch to the boat .

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
what do you think a 36"er is gonna weigh? I would do it, just to say I did it. Congrats man, be sure to post up pictures

Just sucks that they’ll only let you keep the small ones. It’s a big chunk for a small fish- and they are over run with them

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
As a resident it was $150, not insubstantial but chump change compared to tags out west.
Would love to get a bigger one and would really like to spear it (pretty bummed about line and reel only) but still happy to have the opportunity, definitely wasn’t expecting it.

CRJR45

WKR
As a resident it was $150, not insubstantial but chump change compared to tags out west.
Would love to get a bigger one and would really like to spear it (pretty bummed about line and reel only) but still happy to have the opportunity, definitely wasn’t expecting it.
Yeah , $ 150 I might've tried for one if I'd known , just to see what they taste like . Good luck !

Wapiti1

WKR
Spearing would be the fun way to do it. My experience with them is that hook and line isn't much of a challenge. Damn things are eating machines.

Jeremy

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
what do you think a 36"er is gonna weigh? I would do it, just to say I did it. Congrats man, be sure to post up pictures
30-35lbs I’d guess. Thanks, will be a little payback for the fish I’ve lost to the 400-500 pounders!

robtattoo

WKR
'Bout damn time they opened up Red Snapper on the Atlantic side.
I can't hardly get a bait to the bottom without hitting a school. I really sucks to have to put them back, only for them to be immediately smashed by sharks.