Floor-less tipi secondary protection option?

VANDAL

WKR
Hi all-

I’m looking for some advise on a secondary layer to run in my Argali Absaroka 4P tipi. Primarily to ensure my bag stays dry from the ground but also to keep clean and prevent bugs (I’m a bit of a neat freak in my camp). I’ve narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Bivy- OR Helium (15 oz)
2. Kuiu Summit Star 1P mesh body (10.5 oz)

Has anyone ran the Kuiu Summit netting in a tipi besides the Kuiu Star tent? I’ll have to secure it to the tipi somehow to get the netting pitch.

Thanks
Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck using a Borah buy bivy in my Cimarron. You might check them out if you decide to go the bivy route. I think they are less than 6 oz. Downside is there is usually a significant lead time.

I have never tried using any sort of nest or mesh body from another tent. So I can't speak to that option.

Hi all-

I’m looking for some advise on a secondary layer to run in my Argali Absaroka 4P tipi. Primarily to ensure my bag stays dry from the ground but also to keep clean and prevent bugs (I’m a bit of a neat freak in my camp). I’ve narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Bivy- OR Helium (15 oz)
2. Kuiu Summit Star 1P mesh body (10.5 oz)

Has anyone ran the Kuiu Summit netting in a tipi besides the Kuiu Star tent? I’ll have to secure it to the tipi somehow to get the netting pitch.

Thanks
Corey

#2 is gonna suck BAD, I'd forget about that idea and move on to something else.

slatty

WKR
I have a borah bivy. Works really well.
If what you want is a clean shelter though get a floor? I don’t know about the specs for your tent but seek outside makes liners that might work.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
I have a borah bivy. Works really well.
If what you want is a clean shelter though get a floor? I don’t know about the specs for your tent but seek outside makes liners that might work.

Thanks slatty,

I have multiple floored free standing tents that I’ve always hunted from but want to give this setup a shot. Might go back but at least give it a try…and you’re right I will need to get over a clean shelter being flourless.

I mostly hunt Oct/Nov and I’m getting too old to put on frozen boots in the morning

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Argali makes an insert for the 4P tipi that gives you a floor and double walls.

Not sure if it would fit, but Seek Outside makes a half nest for their tipis. It gives you half a floor and protection from bugs.

slatty

WKR
I use the seek outside half nest when using the tipi for family camping, seems to fit the bill. Adds a lot of weight and bulk though, basically doubles the weight and bulk.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Thanks for the feedback.

I want to avoid bulk and as much wt. as possible. Looking like a bivy with maybe a footprint/tyvek is best option

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I use an OR bivy with my tarp and I like it. I don't think it is the Helium though, it's basically a lightweight mesh to keep bugs out. I sleep on a tent footprint from Big Agnes. Sometimes they will have a steep sale on their footprints for discontinued tent models, I believe I bought my 1 person footprint for $5. Worth keeping an eye out for

tdot

WKR
Borah Gear hybrid bivy is what I use most of the time. If it'll be close or below freezing, I have a sheet of foam from Seek Outside that I also use as a drop sheet, not as durable as tyvek, but provides a thermal break and is big enough to sit on. I also have an inner liner, but that only gets used for trips with the family now or if I know it'll be extremely wet or buggy.