Fishing Panama's west coast?

So we are headed to Panama to get warmed up this winter and wondering if anyone had been fishing in Panama before? We are hanging out on the Pacific coast near the town of Cambutal. Anyone been out with someone good? I would love to catch something... And do I bring a rod or will the guides set me up?

dtrkyman

WKR
My cousin has been down there, let me se what I can find out.

I would bring a rod, let the wife relax at the beach while you cast, just time it to the moving tide!

WoodDuck

FNG
Curious if you took your trip yet and how it went? We just planned a trip to Cambutal in June and reserved a few days fishing with Pesca Cambutal.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Reach out to them. I've been there twice. Highly recommended.

WoodDuck

FNG

Thanks, I took a good look at their operation and it seems top notch. The two women that will be traveling with our group of 4 (my wife and sister) have no interest in kayak fishing, which is why we’re going the panga fishing route with Pesca Cambutal.

Very interested in hearing about your fishing experience though. Did you bring any of your own tackle or rent it all through the lodge?

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I took a good look at their operation and it seems top notch. The two women that will be traveling with our group of 4 (my wife and sister) have no interest in kayak fishing, which is why we’re going the panga fishing route with Pesca Cambutal.

Very interested in hearing about your fishing experience though. Did you bring any of your own tackle or rent it all through the lodge?

I went 2 years in a row, when they were first setting it up. The first year there was no option to rent gear, so I brought all my own gear. 2nd year I did the same thing.

If I was going again I would just rent through the lodge. Way less hassle than flying with it, and they'll have exactly what you need. Los Buzos has pangas as well. We used the pangas to transport kayaks to get to further fishing areas.

I caught yellowfin tuna, roosterfish, wahoo, and a variety of snapper/bottom fish. Still need to go back to land a Cubera snapper.

Take a look at these youtube channels, tons of videos from los buzos and I've fished with both those guys:

Wingnutty

FNG

What was your costs like for this? This looks absolutely incredible!

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What was your costs like for this? This looks absolutely incredible!

I would reach out and get a quote. I went 2016ish, so I'm sure prices have changed. They have also vastly improved and added accommodations since then.

WoodDuck

FNG
I would reach out and get a quote. I went 2016ish, so I'm sure prices have changed. They have also vastly improved and added accommodations since then.
Los Buzos prices for 2024 are $3750 a person for 5 days fishing and 6 nights lodging, plus all meals and beer. This doesn’t include tax (7% I believe) and tipping guides. Reach out to the lodge and they will send you the info.

We were quoted $400 for an 8 hour day of fishing with Pesca Cambutal (4 people, all gear provided). We’ll have 1-1.5k into lodging for the week as well, plus meals.