Fishing knife

SKNFLT

FNG
Anyone have any suggestions for a good filet knife? I got a fishing charter this summer and they told me to bring my own knife and they’d teach me how to filet what we catch.

Thanks

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Victorinox make some pretty good knives for a reasonable price. I keep 2 or 3 of their boning knives around. I use their paring knives for steak knives. I've been meaning to buy one of their filet knives to try.

2ski

WKR
Leech lake was told to me once as a great filled knife. I don't have one though. I have the 2 piece Knives of Alaska set.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of fish are you planning on cleaning? That informs knife choice.

I spent 10 years guiding salmon and steelhead trips and I've been through a few filet knives, here are my favorites:

Dexter Russell 8"
Do it all knife for everything from pan fish to walleye or salmonids to 15lbs.

Bubba Knife 12" Flex
Beast of a knife for steelhead and salmon exceeding 15lbs. I have friends who use this knife for pelagic fish, though I don't have any experience with that.

041913c85686ecca2ef98ef3352a3d68.jpg
64d414f5ca0a6523becf350215f986c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

UncleBone

WKR
What kind of fish are you planning on cleaning? That informs knife choice.

I spent 10 years guiding salmon and steelhead trips and I've been through a few filet knives, here are my favorites:

Dexter Russell 8"
Do it all knife for everything from pan fish to walleye or salmonids to 15lbs.

Bubba Knife 12" Flex
Beast of a knife for steelhead and salmon exceeding 15lbs. I have friends who use this knife for pelagic fish, though I don't have any experience with that.

041913c85686ecca2ef98ef3352a3d68.jpg
64d414f5ca0a6523becf350215f986c6.jpg

came here to suugest the Dexter Russel. About as good as knives can get for the money. Theres a reason why most restaurants in America have them around.

I second the bubba. Have tried many fillet knives over the years and find the bubba to be the best all around I've ever used. Has flex but also some backbone. Very comfortable grip that works well even with wet slimy hands.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good filet knife? I got a fishing charter this summer and they told me to bring my own knife and they’d teach me how to filet what we catch.

Thanks
For function, a 7” or 8” dexter… want something a little more elegant? Dalstrong shogun series fillet knife, my favorite blade steel of any knife and they are a beautiful knife too

Frosts is another excellent utilitarian fillet knife, I prefer them to a dexter, they are made by mora. They are like a well broke in dexter, they have about perfect flex

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Frosts are very, good, agreed! I've never tried a Dalstrong. I'll check them out, thank you.

I like my bubba filet knives for home or if I have my truck. For travel I like my Victorinox or Dexter Russel fillet knives. Handles on those just a little less low profile and easier to pack than my bubbas. If I didn't have them I would take my bubbas without a second thought. I carry a worksharp field sharpener as well.

dtrkyman

WKR
Smartest charter captain ever, "teach you how to filet". Love it.

Cutco makes a nice one, Rapala for a budget option.

I'll echo the "what species" question.

I like my Dexter Russell 8" for most stuff.

Got a Rapala serrated I like for redfish.