First trip out west

Griff89

FNG
Hey everyone,

A friend and I are planning out first trip out west, hopefully for fall 2023. My friend is a newer hunter but I am an experienced eastern hunter (Ontario Canada) having 20 years of whitetail, turkey, bear and moose under my belt. We are currently trying to decide on which state to hunt in and locations etc.

I will make a disclaimer - we both have never hunted out west so we are going into this with low expectations game wise, but high expectations from an experience gaining/adventure wise. I don't expect anyone to give concrete answers but looking for some general info/directions on resources for research. We are currently deciding between Montana or Idaho and have settled on Mule deer. I think it will be a good intro to out west hunting . Any preferences on state and would one be better for a beginnger? I know that Montana has the preference point system and from my understanding we would have the option of applying with two preference points each if we bought one before December.

Idaho has over the counter tags which I know go quickly.

Mostly looking for advice on a general area/where to apply. We are comfortable grinding it out/hiking in and camping and want to work for an opportunity.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Montana has the longer general season with it running into the rut. If you’re just after the experience of seeing a lot of deer/bucks and feel ok about shooting a 2.5 year old then choose MT. If you’re after a more backpacking high country experience with the chance of a more mature buck then choose October in idaho. This is general advice. Pick the type of country you want to hunt, and if one area is many hours closer of a drive I would go that route.

ih784

FNG
Hey everyone,

A friend and I are planning out first trip out west, hopefully for fall 2023. My friend is a newer hunter but I am an experienced eastern hunter (Ontario Canada) having 20 years of whitetail, turkey, bear and moose under my belt. We are currently trying to decide on which state to hunt in and locations etc.

I will make a disclaimer - we both have never hunted out west so we are going into this with low expectations game wise, but high expectations from an experience gaining/adventure wise. I don't expect anyone to give concrete answers but looking for some general info/directions on resources for research. We are currently deciding between Montana or Idaho and have settled on Mule deer. I think it will be a good intro to out west hunting . Any preferences on state and would one be better for a beginnger? I know that Montana has the preference point system and from my understanding we would have the option of applying with two preference points each if we bought one before December.

Idaho has over the counter tags which I know go quickly.

Mostly looking for advice on a general area/where to apply. We are comfortable grinding it out/hiking in and camping and want to work for an opportunity.

Any advice would be appreciated!
This is awesome.