First timer, Mr guide lt mt fit issues

C.F.

FNG
Hey there, first post but I’ve been searching RS for a few months.
The short -
new MR guide lt MT Metcalf which is my first pack , loaded with a #50 cement bag seems to not ride well, almost unbearable for any distance. Either pulls down on shoulders or pulls back on upper chest/shoulder and strains my back muscles. Feels like the bag is trying to fall backwards. Any help or other pack suggestions would be appreciated. I tried MR and YouTube and only got so far.

The long -
I’m 32 , 5’10” 205 medium build, work in construction. I live at about sea level north of Toronto ,Ontario . I’m hoping to do a week long backpack mountain elk hunt in the next couple years and since I’ve never had to haul any weight hunting/camping I thought I should start with the pack/fitness. Any help or suggestions if it’s time to try a different pack is appreciated.

What size is your frame and how does that compare to your torso measurement? Have you tried adjusting the yoke height on your pack?
Screenshot_20220611-203315_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
C

C.F.

FNG
The Frame is a L/Xl and the belt is a M/L
I measured a 16-3/4 torso and 39 waist

• Get someone to measure your torso length per above
  • set the torso length per the measurement
  • Note - I run my MR pack about 2 inches shorter than their chart says. You may have to experiment.
  • loosen the belt and shoulder straps (sternum, loader lifters, etc.
  • don the pack
  • snug the hip belt
  • snug the shoulder straps
  • snug the sternum straps
  • snug the load lifters
  • adjust the shoulder straps
  • resnug the hip belt

other thoughts
  • If the cement bag is in the bottom of the pack, find a way to get it higher, like put styrofoam or a rolled up sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack. - you want the weight high center of your back (between shoulder blades but below shoulders) and close to the frame of the pack
  • make sure the load is strapped down, loose loads cause imbalance and fatigue as you walk and fight the balance of the load.
  • 50# is a heavy load to start training with. Consider starting lighter and building up.
  • there is no way to strap 50# to your back and not have it change your center of gravity
  • train it a bit and see if you get used to it.

OP
C

C.F.

FNG
Hey Desk Jockey where would you measure from on the frame to set it with your torso measurements ?

Start with y of the yoke to the bottom of the Lumbar pad. Play with it from there. Having a partner helps. Try it on a hike. Start long and then run it in about an inch every half mile or so till you find your sweet spot. I can’t remember my torso length (I am 6’3” and think it is 21-22) but I run mine pack about 1-2 inches shorter than indicated. Unfortunately, you need to find your personal preference, which take trial and error. Fortunately, there is enough adjustment in MR and most other good packs brands to accommodate you.

search up some old threads on pack training once you get your fit dialed. Take it slow. Your body needs to adapt. Sore backs and quads are one thing. Shin splints, plantar faciitus and stress fractures in your feet are a bummer and can happen if you start with too much weight too soon. Good luck and have fun.