First timer looking for advice and help

ETNyates

FNG
Hello Roksliders,

I am from East TN and have been hunting deer, turkey, small game, etc. for 4 years. This year I just had the "slap in the face" realization that I needed to hunt in the West. This came on hot and fast, but when I realize something like this I don't like to put it off. Since I am a new father (9 day old baby) and have a fairly new job, I decided to research and apply for some bonus points in WY and start planning my first mule deer/elk trip (Idaho most likely) in the fall of 2016. I am looking for some good used gear primarily in the 5000+ backpack, 2 person UL tent, and 15-20 degree sleeping bag. Any help with these items would be great, especially since my wife and I right now are on a tight budget with a new baby and her quitting her job to stay home.

Any other first trip suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated as well. I have done a bit of research (on here and other places) so far but I can always learn new things and want to.

Thanks

Manosteel

WKR
Welcome. Western hunting is addicting so be ready to be consumed with it 365. As for gear, you need to be a little more specific and a great place to start would be to go back over the years and see what the long timers use, a gear list search on here will point you in the right direction. There are also a couple threads this past year on getting started in backcountry hunting on a budget, take a look at that it has great advise on what you need and gear that is good and affordable. Once you get a better idea of what you need/want that check the classified section at least twice a day as good gear goes fast.

Cheers.

OP
E

ETNyates

FNG
Thanks Guys, appreciate the help and will definitely keep up reading on this site. I will reply to the PM's soon.

Thanks