First time Elk Hunter from SC worried about Altitude

Hey all,

I am a lifelong hunter from SC. Me and a buddy are planning a DIY hunt this year with OTC tags in Colorado. We are looking to hunt Unit 80 or 81. Talked to a hunt planner with Colorado CPW. One thing he mentioned that I hadn't thought of is altitude sickness. The highest elevation I have ever been to is cycling up Mt. Mitchell. Its a shade over 6600'. Really looking for any info on what to expect and the best way to acclimate given the fact that frequent scouting trips probably aren't possible for me and my buddy. Our plan was initially to fly out 3 days before the season starts to Denver, spend the day there to at least start getting used to the elevation, 2 days out get to the unit and find our camping spot (also do SOME glassing as time permits), 1 day out glass all day. Thanks in advance for any help.

In for info as well. I share your same concerns coming from the East.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every person is different, but 6600 isn’t that high. Altitude sickness usually kicks in much higher. You’ll be fine, especially if you are there a little early.

young7.3

WKR
I would say you should be fine arriving three days before. If at all feasible, fly to the area (or an area with the same altitude) before your hunt and see how your body reacts.

cnelk

WKR
The biggest issue with A/S is that it wont pass unless you drop in altitude.
Headache, nausea will be your symptoms
Gotta go slow, let your body acclimate, stay hydrated

Work high, sleep low is the old adage. Sleep in Denver (or in the valley) two nights but spend the day at 10k+. Lounging away at 6k for two days won’t really help much. Also pre hydrate and avoid alcohol. A lot of the time when folks say they burned them selves out in the first couple of days what they really meant is they went too hard, too high, too fast and never got themselves properly acclimated.

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted 81 a few times and you’ll most likely be over 11,000 ft. Coming from Maryland it’s extremely noticeable and a real struggle.

The first time out we had to hike off the mountain because my buddy got acute mountain sickness. His headache was so bad he was having trouble seeing.
We were camped up at 11500 ft and hiking down to around 9,000 made him feel much better.

Anyway, since then we have gotten prescriptions for Diamox and that has helped us both. Even if you don’t get altitude sickness Diamox will help you sleep better and feel better over all at high altitudes.

I’d highly recommend you talk to your doctor and have them prescribe you Diamox (Acetazolamide).

Coming from PA it can be an issue for me as well. Its not as noticeable if I am sleeping at 9000 feet or so. Worst was being camped at around 11500 after sleeping 1 night in Gunnison. I wanted to shoot an elk so bad just so I could leave the mountain. Best was sleeping at around 8500 but hunting at 10,000. I think the best case scenario if you are worried besides taking the RX is to sleep 2 night around 8000 to help get acclimated. Sleeping in Denver probably won't help much.
Skip the booze and drink plenty of water. Also I don't like to eat big meals prior to jumping into the sack.

Wapiti1

WKR
Lots of water. Get the Diamox from your doctor as suggested by Devonian. It is great insurance, and has no real downside.

Drink lots of water. More than you normally would. Get there 2-3 days early to help acclimate, or as huntaborkee notes, don't sleep up high if you can.

Here is a good whitepaper on it from Mayo: http://www.mayo.edu/research/documents/preparing-for-safe-travelpdf/doc-10026905

Enjoy the hunt and post up a story when its over.

Jeremy

Here’s what I suggest. On your day in Denver, take a road trip to Winter Park (9000ft). It’s a little over an hour if you leave in the morning. Eat at The Ditch. On your way there and back, you will go through Berthoud Pass, which is 11,000 ft. Stop off and walk around at the trailhead, however much time permits. Don’t kill your self, just goof off and enjoy the views and drive home. You’ll get a feel for what your probable max altitude will be like, and you’ll acclimate a bit as well. Plus it’s a cool little trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Hey all,

I am a lifelong hunter from SC. ... Our plan was initially to fly out 3 days before the season starts to Denver, spend the day there to at least start getting used to the elevation, 2 days out get to the unit and find our camping spot (also do SOME glassing as time permits), 1 day out glass all day. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm from NC and make the annual pilgrimage out west. And your plan with the wisdom above is a good approach.

I did a shakedown few day trip to the AT last year with ~20 mile daily hikes with my pack to check my gear and readiness.

Lots of water...more than you think you need, many little snacks (I added a few carbs 2 years ago but was close to ketogenic last year) even at base camp let alone elevation.

Talk to your doc about Diamox if your worried or don't know how you'll do at elevation.

Go easy the first couple days. If you get a splitting headache at elevation drop down in altitude.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
A commercial airliner is pressurized to the equivalent of ~8000ft. The difference between sitting on an airplane for 12 hours and hunting in the mountains at 8000ft is the amount of aerobic exertion. I had similar concerns about altitude before i went on a high country Colorado hunt last year. I run and lift everyday year round. I discovered that my cardiovascular system was fine hiking at 12-13K' but it is different for everybody. You will get winded no matter what, but if you show up in good shape you will recover your breath very quickly and be able to keep hunting. Drink lots of water and build in a 36-48hr acclimation period before you hunt. I drink about 3L of water in Texas everyday and I increase that to 4.5 to 5 liters when im hunting in Colorado. Both guys I hunted with at high elevation last year drank similar amounts of water and had the same acclimation period and we all felt fine. Truthfully you probably wont know how your body responds to altitude until you try it.
Good luck.

I live in Houston btw, 30ft above sealevel.

Only other thought I have other than the good ones already noted, is to look at the Mountain Ops "Solitude" supplement. I live in CO but last year hunted a unit that I knew I'd be around 11K often. I used it last year as a preventative measure and didn't have any problems. I normally don't have problems with altitude but it has happened skiing a couple times so I used it as a precaution. I can't really attest that it worked as supplements can be somewhat hard to compare vs not taking any unless you do a lot of testing. Anyway, just another option to consider a daily supplement as a precaution.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Virginia and have snowboarded Toas and Breckenridge with no issue. Granted that was about 10 years ago so my physical fitness isn't as good now as it was then. I figure if I could do that then hiking shouldn't be an issue either. I'll be working out hard between now and October when I head to Wyoming (outside Cody).

hunt1up

WKR
I got a prescription for Diamox before my last two elk hunts. Usually I sleep like crap the first few nights at elevation. Rapid heart beat, sweating, tossing and turning. Taking Diamox has made a huge difference for me personally. I sleep much better and after a day of hard breathing I'm usually good to go. For reference, I live at 600' and we usually hunt between 8,000-10,000'

Wellsdw

WKR
As a fellow flatlander from
Carolina (North) Everyone else is spot on with their comments. Only thing I might add is be reasonable about your capabilities. While everyone is
Different, I’ve found you can’t out train altitude or terrain. (No matter what fitness craze you are currently on) but it will help some. I’ve tried them all I think, and if you live at a 1000 feet you can’t keep up with someone with easy access to 10000. I replicated a lot of workouts and programming from different podcasters regarding preparation and nothing
Is as effective as pace and
Patience...... and NO ALCOHOL!
Just my .02
PM me if you want

I'm from NC, live in the foothills at an elevation of 1200 ft. You really will have no idea how the elevation will affect you until you are there. I have two Colorado trips under my belt and the elevation hasn't botheres me, save for breathing a little harder. Hydration is very important. Drink plenty of water before you head out there and plenty more while you are there. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Make sure you eat well and keep up your caloric intake. Most importantly, recognize the signs and symptoms of altitude sickness. If you start getting a severe headache, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision or find your concentration/mental status being effected, get to a lower elevation quickly.

Taking some time to acclimate is important but not always feasible. Slowly work your way up to 10,000 plus feet. Take the first day or two and stay around 8-9000 and see how you feel. Also, avoid chemical sleep aids like Benadryl. The anti-histamine properties tend to dry you out. Also, be careful with Diamox, it may just mask symptoms of altitude sickness, not fix them.

I generally use an altitude training mask working out the last month before I head to the mountains and have never had any issues hitting the ground running the first day of my hunt. Simulates the oxygen content and air density of elevation. I'm sure all the other things work well on here too, but I think altitude sickness only occurs in about %40 of the general population, so it might not even be an issue for you.