First spotting scope

jarrettd

FNG
PA guy here. Just getting into western hunting. I’m thinking an angled spotting scope would be really helpful. What do you guys recommend for a blue collar guy? I don’t think I’ll use it more than once or twice a year. Don’t want something super cheap, but I also know the high end ones can be ridiculously expensive.

Recommendations on tripods too please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA guy here. Just getting into western hunting. I’m thinking an angled spotting scope would be really helpful. What do you guys recommend for a blue collar guy? I don’t think I’ll use it more than once or twice a year. Don’t want something super cheap, but I also know the high end ones can be ridiculously expensive.

Recommendations on tripods too please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vortex Viper HD.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments.

Neil & I are the optics guys. Joel is our Tripod guru

I'd look into the last gen vortex razor 65mm, you can find them new every now and then for $6-700. Other than that the Maven S.2 is a great option. For tripods, imo there is no reason to buy a tripod that you can glass standing up due to stability, and generally if you set up a tripod to glass you are going to be there a while so you'll want to sit down. I have a vortex high country (the old model) that is great for price-weight ratio. I'd look into Sirui though, or go all out on outdoorsmans. Outdoorsmans definitely makes the best bino adapter for tripod glassing, it's worth the money.

Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm

It's not angled but I sure think it's a great little spotting scope. It works well on the range and in the field and is a nice size that you will actually carry with you when hunting.

Honestly the tripod setup is the most important part of the equation. Any instability or vibration will render even high end alpha optics worthless. For that reason I recommend a tripod with no center column. The amount of tripod choices drastically shrinks.

Really Right Stuff
Pro Media Gear
Gitzo
Benro
Fiesol
FLM
Induro

Look for gently used high quality gear on Craigslist, Rokslide, eBay, FB market place, etc.

A solid tripod with a center pole is not inherently unstable, but a lightweight tripod with a center pole can be unstable. Adding weight to the set up, via a hook with backpack (or whatever) can lend a great deal of stability to a lightweight set up. Or a heavyweight tripod by itself can support a good amount of weight with a center pole. It all depends on what you get and how cheap you go and how heavy you go. Everything is a compromise, but there are few absolutes, so your statement above re: no center post is just not something that applies to most situations.

Center poles are only an issue if you extend them too far.

You also don’t have to spend a fortune on a tripod and head. Nothing wrong with Manfrotto/Slik except it won’t get you into the club where the cool kids hang out.

Totally agree. I recently bought a innorel gt324 (carbon fiber) tripod and the thing is solid. I put my wifes camera with 200mm lens and the tripod ate it up and was solid with the center pole all the way extended (maybe couple inches short of fully extended, i am only 5’10” and was able to use camera without stoopping).
Pretty inexpensive for what i got, this thing can easily handle plenty of weight and the 44mm ball head can as well. Not lightweight at just over 5# but i am willing to forgive a few ounces for supreme stability. I am not counting ounces.

Last edited:
Athlon ares 65 with a Sirui va 5. I have the Sirui aluminum tripod and love it. I feel like spotter could fall out of my truck at 70 MPH and be good. Awesome glass for the money.

A solid tripod with a center pole is not inherently unstable, but a lightweight tripod with a center pole can be unstable. Adding weight to the set up, via a hook with backpack (or whatever) can lend a great deal of stability to a lightweight set up. Or a heavyweight tripod by itself can support a good amount of weight with a center pole. It all depends on what you get and how cheap you go and how heavy you go. Everything is a compromise, but there are few absolutes, so your statement above re: no center post is just not something that applies to most situations.

I simply made a recommendation. It is for them to decide what to do with it. What works for me might not work for another.

I personally would rather have a 60" fixed apex tripod versus a center column tripod that is 50" retracted and 60" extended. The fixed apex will have more stability and less vibration at 60" especially if there is a breeze. You can add suspended weight under the apex to stabilize the legs but how do you stabilize the column?

Center columns do make slight height adjustments easier by far. I will give them that. There are pros and cons to each design. So pick your poison.

Glassing and then putting a stalk on is my preferred method of hunting. I have used several different tripod setups (carbon, aluminum, column, fixed, pan head, ball head, fluid head). I prefer carbon, fixed, and pan head though I use a ball head because I shoot from my tripod as well.

I still stand behind my comment that the tripod setup is more important than the optic. If I had a $1500 budget I would spend $1000 on tripod setup and $500 on the optic. Any optic besides Vortex junk. If someone gave me a Vortex product I would throw it in the nearest trash can. I would not even sell it because I would be doing the buyer a disservice. Lol