First Spotter Setup

So my dad and I will be cashing in a pile of elk and deer points over the next couple years and I’m looking to get into a spotter setup. I should I note I have zero experience with them in the field, and only a cheap one off the bench at the range.

He has a set of older 10x42’s swaros, and I have a set of 10x42 Leupold bx4’s.

My budget for this is going to be $1000 Including tripod After doing some research I’m looking at:
- Maven CS.1A 15-45x65 bundle.
—— Benro Adventure AL tripod/ S Pro head

- Athlon Ares UHD 15-45x65 (no idea on tripod or head)

I’m open to suggestions/ advice on every aspect because like I said I have no experience in this area. Tripod especially

Outside of the Rokslide realm, you do not need to spend a fortune on a tripod. Do expect to spend some money trying different heads until you find one that works for you. Typically this is over a couple of seasons; sell what you do not keep. Call Doug @ CameraLand and see what he can do for you; do not overlook demo models as you can save some money. Learn to glass with your binoculars on the tripod and then use the spotting scope for confirmation (unless you are one of the few lucky SOBs that can effectively glass with a spotting scope).

I'd look at saving up a bit more money as you can find the Kowa 55x for $1300-1400 several times a year; nice saving $400-$500. You'll likely come out ahead in the long run as you would have arguably the best compact spotting scope; though the Nikon ED 50 crowd does have a pretty solid claim.

OP
JPeters218
Outside of the Rokslide realm, you do not need to spend a fortune on a tripod. Do expect to spend some money trying different heads until you find one that works for you. Typically this is over a couple of seasons; sell what you do not keep. Call Doug @ CameraLand and see what he can do for you; do not overlook demo models as you can save some money. Learn to glass with your binoculars on the tripod and then use the spotting scope for confirmation (unless you are one of the few lucky SOBs that can effectively glass with a spotting scope).

I'd look at saving up a bit more money as you can find the Kowa 55x for $1300-1400 several times a year; nice saving $400-$500. You'll likely come out ahead in the long run as you would have arguably the best compact spotting scope; though the Nikon ED 50 crowd does have a pretty solid claim.
I‘m completely open to demo/ open box or even used.

To be honest, neither of us have any real glassing experience. Short of just sitting on a ridge on throwing up the binos for fun (we elk hunt in the timber). So we’ll kinda be figuring it out as we go lol.

So I really don’t want to spend $1400 on a spotter for first time use. But I don’t want to handicap myself by going too cheap. Which I why I landed in the $800ish range for the spotter. I just want something that we’ll be able effectively judge deer and glass with.

Check out the spotting scope comparison on Backwoods Pursuit (as with everything online, take it with a grain of salt). There is some helpful information in there.

Go with the spotter, tripod, and head that ultimately works for you.

OP
JPeters218
Check out the spotting scope comparison on Backwoods Pursuit (as with everything online, take it with a grain of salt). There is some helpful information in there.

Go with the spotter, tripod, and head that ultimately works for you.
I‘ve already read through that. Didn’t watch the video but I probably should. Honestly choosing the spotter itself seems to be the easy part. It’s the tripod and heads that are a bit overwhelming as I have no experience with any of it. I’ll definitely call and talk to Doug at some point. But I was hoping to at least get some ideas here first.

Which is why the maven bundle appeals to me. Comes with everything

atmat

WKR
Spotters are a luxury but not a necessity. And typically a sub-$1000 spotter is not worth the money. It’s a tool where you absolutely need top quality for it to be good.

You guys would be better off buying adapters for your binos to mount on tripods. Mounting your binos to a tripod is a game changer. Buy yourself two identical setups. If you could bump your budget to $1200 it would be better.

Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite is what I use and recommend. $125 each / $250
They have a polymer model for $45 each but I have not used it so I cannot speak on durability.

Tricer pan head. $190 each / $380

Then buy two carbon* tripods that are around $300 each. Benro, fiesol, leofoto, slik, sirui, etc. Try and stay around that $300 mark. Thicker legs the better as it creates stability.

If you absolutely want a spotter I would still do the above and buy a Vanguard Endeavor HD. Decent spotter for the price I hunted with one for years and spotted many elk and muleys. Should be able to grab one for $300 or less.

OP
JPeters218
You guys would be better off buying adapters for your binos to mount on tripods. Mounting your binos to a tripod is a game changer. Buy yourself two identical setups. If you could bump your budget to $1200 it would be better.
Definitely going to get the binos on tripods. I’m sure he’ll buy whatever I do for a tripod so we should end up with the identical setups.

I just feel like it would be a mistake not to have a spotter on a deer hunt that took 15-25 years to draw. An elk hunt I could see just bringing the binos and not a spotter. But in both scenarios I’d much rather have it and not need it, than not have it and want it.

Sub $1k spotter and tripod aren’t going to worth even packing. I’d buy those used Leupold BX5 15x56’s on here for $650 and then look for a deal on a tripod with the rest. You’ll see a lot more with those binos than you will a cheap spotter.

Definitely going to get the binos on tripods. I’m sure he’ll buy whatever I do for a tripod so we should end up with the identical setups.

I just feel like it would be a mistake not to have a spotter on a deer hunt that took 15-25 years to draw. An elk hunt I could see just bringing the binos and not a spotter. But in both scenarios I’d much rather have it and not need it, than not have it and want it.
You can always rent high end optics and tripods from Rent Guns and Gear. They are a sponsor on Rokslide.

If I was cashing in those kinds of points my budget would be Swarovski spotter and a Really Right Stuff tripod setup. But I already have that setup in my arsenal.

Fatcamp

WKR
Totally disagree with sub $1000 spotters being useless and would take such advice with a grain of salt.

I won't ever head into the field again without a spotter and for now that's a Vortex Razor I have $550 into.

PHo

WKR
Tough decisions. I agree that it would be a mistake not bringing a spotter if you’re cashing in that many points, but at the same time a more affordable spotter might not actually be as effective as good binos on a tripod. Your dad already has Swaros and putting them on a tripod could potentially be all that you need. You mentioned that you’ll be cashing in these points over the next several years. If you have that kind of time is there a way you can save up and add another $1000 or so to your budget? If that’s possible then that’ll get you into spotters like the Kowa 55 and even 77, then you’ll have a spotter for life. I’m sure the spotters that you’ve listed will be useful, but if you’re gonna get serious with the glassing game, and you should with this many points being cashed in, then I would suggest buy once cry once. Also, speak to the Cameraland guys, very awesome people who know their shit. I’m sure they’ll have better insight for your needs.

atmat

WKR
Totally disagree with sub $1000 spotters being useless and would take such advice with a grain of salt.

I won't ever head into the field again without a spotter and for now that's a Vortex Razor I have $550 into.
Have you ever compared side by side with alpha glass?

Fatcamp

WKR
Tough decisions. I agree that it would be a mistake not bringing a spotter if you’re cashing in that many points, but at the same time a more affordable spotter might not actually be as effective as good binos on a tripod. Your dad already has Swaros and putting them on a tripod could potentially be all that you need. You mentioned that you’ll be cashing in these points over the next several years. If you have that kind of time is there a way you can save up and add another $1000 or so to your budget? If that’s possible then that’ll get you into spotters like the Kowa 55 and even 77, then you’ll have a spotter for life. I’m sure the spotters that you’ve listed will be useful, but if you’re gonna get serious with the glassing game, and you should with this many points being cashed in, then I would suggest buy once cry once. Also, speak to the Cameraland guys, very awesome people who know their shit. I’m sure they’ll have better insight for your needs.

If you're point-dumping I assume you're going after some better deer/elk than "just anything legal"?
I have the CS1.A and it's definitely better than having $1000 cash in my pocket in the field. For elk you can judge them easier at distance with binos but any decent spotter will help give a yay/nay on a buck at 1000y+ with a brushy background. It's not the best spotter in the world but it definitely doesn't suck and it's saved me half a day more than once by passing on borderline bucks. Theres a good review of it here on Rokslide and he seemed to be happy with it. I hear the Athlon is good too for about the same price.

OP
JPeters218
At this point if I buy new it’s looking like it’s going to be the Athlon Ares. But once I’m actually ready to buy I’ll definitely look into the used market.

As for upgrading over the next couple years, that’s definitely an option, and something that will likely happen. Whether it’s the spotter itself or the tripod and head. But for this first hunt I’ll be taking some kind of spotter setup out. Then I can decide if it’s worth upgrading for the next hunts.

Honestly at this point the tripod is the part I’m having the most trouble figuring out. I think I’d like the ability to stand and glass (maybe I’m wrong and this isn’t something most people do). But it seems like most tripods have a max height somewhere around 48-60”. 60” might do it with an angled spotter as we’re both around 6’ tall.

And can anyone explain the numbering system for them? I saw someone explain it on here but I can’t dig it back up. Say the Slik 635 for example. I’m pretty sure the last number is the amount of leg sections. But I can’t figure out the first two

^^^^^THIS^^^^
Demo deals @ camera land are great, and no tax so that'll help get a bit more bang for the budget.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I knew someone with a Swarovski 95 that told me he'd rather have a great tripod than a great scope because you can't achieve the benefits of a alpha scope without it.

Thing about mid grade spotters is they work alright in optimal conditions but aren't hardly worth carrying when conditions change. Obviously some terrain is more optimized for spotter use but for the most part you'll benefit more from a pair of excellent 15×56 binoculars.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk