First Semi Custom Rifle Build?

aOWENc

FNG
Hey guys,

I am really wanting to get my first custom order semi custom rifle built and wanted to pick your brains about my options before going to my gunsmith.

I have a Sako A7 Coyote in 22-250 that I could use as a starting point but I would really like to make it into a 6.5 PRC however I don’t know if this is possible. My 22-250 shoots great so I would think if I had my smith rechamber that would be a cost efficient route to go. I noticed that Atlasworx makes a DBM for the A7, but I’m not sure if it would work with 6.5 PRC, I wouldn’t be opposed to a Creedmoor if the PRC isn’t possible. I just really would like to get away from the proprietary and expensive Sako factory mags.

Link to bottom metal: https://atlasworxs.com/shop/atlasworxs-bottom-metal-dbm-aics-sako-a7-short-action/

I would like to keep the rifle fairly lightweight and I think the fluted barrel on the Sako would achieve this, especially after reboring to .264 and cutting it down to 22”. A custom barrel is also an option and I know my smith can work with the unusual threads on the Sako action. He likes to use Bartlein barrels and I would be open to either a fluted bartlein or the carbon wrapped.

Finally, I think I would go with the Mcmillan Gamescout for my stock (definitely open to other options) and top it with a VX5. I would have it threaded 5/8x24” and use a suppressor most of the time.

What do you guys think? Would the Sako be a good platform to build off of or would I be better off buying a stripped Tikka action and going from there?

Thanks in advance!
-Alex

Antares

WKR
If your 22-250 shoots great, I don't think I'd mess with it. For starters, it's not an ideal donor for a 6.5 PRC build. You need a magnum bolt face, the 22-250 is a standard bolt face. I'd try to find a new or used magnum Tikka and rebarrel it if I were you.