First loader

So my dad wants to go on a muzzle loader trip next year for elk. We are in WA so I know that we can’t use scopes but beyond that it sounds like we’re not as restricted as Oregon or Idaho. Anyway my question is. I’m not looking to spend more than 350 on the loader. For my first anyway. I was looking at the Thompson center impact but it appears that they are out of business? Does anyone know about this? And to follow what would you seasoned folk recommend for my first loader? I’ve read so far that CVA has QC issues lately and knight has god awful customer service. So what is left after that?

Rich M

WKR
I have an optima 2 and it shoots lights-out at 100. Would need a BDC scope to shoot 200 as it is about 20 inches low at 200.

Looking at getting a Buckstalker to have an extra one for my dad to use. The break action MLs are all pretty similar.

Thompson center is owned by smith and Wesson. They’re currently looking to sell it. Doubt they’re making any and I was expect CS to be lacking.

My buddy missed 2 elk cause his cva would not fire (striker issue). Don't be so quick to write off Knight. I love my knight, very accurate. Only had one cause to call for customer service and it went very smooth. Have told all my friends who are looking to buy Knights.

OP
G
My buddy missed 2 elk cause his cva would not fire (striker issue). Don't be so quick to write off Knight. I love my knight, very accurate. Only had one cause to call for customer service and it went very smooth. Have told all my friends who are looking to buy
Yikes that’s scary. I was looking at knights website and the only one they have under 500 is a blued barrel. Wouldn’t that get pretty nasty pretty quick?

OP
G
I have an optima 2 and it shoots lights-out at 100. Would need a BDC scope to shoot 200 as it is about 20 inches low at 200.

Looking at getting a Buckstalker to have an extra one for my dad to use. The break action MLs are all pretty similar.
Have you had any issues with the CVA?

I don't know what striker issue is being referred to in that posting. That's a new one on me and I've used CVAs for a good many years. My guess would be it was a maintenance issue that caused whatever failure was encountered. I would not hesitate recommending an Optima to you but note that you must thoroughly clean a muzzleloader and that's a bit more involved than your typical centerfire.
People fail to clean their muzzleloaders properly and then failures are blamed on resulting problems.

nphunter

WKR
A good used one would be my pick. I’ve worked with knights customer service a couple of times converting my Colorado version to a western version and I thought they were great. Not many companies these days where you can pick up the phone and have a conversation with somebody who actually knows anything about the product. I think it’s a pretty small company and I love my knight!

jayhawk

WKR
Knights are awesome muzzleloaders. Just quality. You could probably pick up a used TC for not much money.

OP
G
I was definitely looking for used. However the ones on rockslide are all out of my range. Where else can you find used ones and what do you look for? I checked gun broker but I’m not sure what to look for

Rich M

WKR
Have you had any issues with the CVA?
No.

I bought it around 2020 when the stock was selling out. The front sight is plastic junk and is loose - I'd replace the sights but the gun itself is decent.

I tend to think that if your gear works well at the range and does what you ask it to do, there should be no trouble while hunting. Change out your fire source daily, change powder if things are damp & rainy, that kind of stuff - I have a 3-day ML hunt for NOV and if they let us hunt (closed hunt areas due to the hurricane), am ready.

This is my 100 yard target form this past Wednesday. The one at 11:30 was 4 clicks up from the group of 4 under the bull. I should have only done 2 clicks, but will live with it. I was hoping it would be 12 inches low at 200, nope. 20 inches low, even with it 2.5-3 inches high at 100. I'll aim for spine and shoot to 150 yards.

Attachments

• 100 yd ML.jpg
    100 yd ML.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 5

nphunter

WKR
We have a local muzzle loader store in the area that normally has some good deals on inlines. He’s a traditional guy so he doesn’t have much interest in them, a while back I saw a nice Remington muzzleloader for like $400.

OP
G
We have a local muzzle loader store in the area that normally has some good deals on inlines. He’s a traditional guy so he doesn’t have much interest in them, a while back I saw a nice Remington muzzleloader for like $400.
Do they have a online option?

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes that’s scary. I was looking at knights website and the only one they have under 500 is a blued barrel. Wouldn’t that get pretty nasty pretty quick?
Its not blued, Its 4140cm with nitride if you are talking about the Knight Vision.

Its a rather large rifle though. The CVA Optima V2 weighs less and is offered in stainless. On sale you should be able to find one for under $300.

Very good starter ML.

Last edited: