First Lite Traverse Gaiter 2.0 Review

BrianB7mm

FNG
This has me thinking I may try an early season gaiter. One thing that was not mentioned and I wonder about, in say early September does it make the bottom of your leg sweat.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This has me thinking I may try an early season gaiter. One thing that was not mentioned and I wonder about, in say early September does it make the bottom of your leg sweat.

I wore them through the summer and I didn’t notice any overheating. Although logically, you’re adding an insulation layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ifunk

FNG
When on the east side of the Cascades I wear the OR Bugout gaiters not only for their water protection, but for their tick killing superpowers! I wish I had worn them last weekend on the westside. You reminded me of the cuff protection. I was wading through brambles looking for elk and my FL corrugate pants got torn to shreds.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When on the east side of the Cascades I wear the OR Bugout gaiters not only for their water protection, but for their tick killing superpowers! I wish I had worn them last weekend on the westside. You reminded me of the cuff protection. I was wading through brambles looking for elk and my FL corrugate pants got torn to shreds.

That must be some nasty brush to tear up a pair of corrugates .

Yes, tick protection, I never thought of that.

tdot

WKR

I just keep the top open during August/September and my feet/ legs aren't noticeably sweatier then without gaiters. But in October I'm sinching the tops closed and it helps keep my legs warmer, so it definitely is insulating, but just not enough to make a huge difference IMO.

disciple2

FNG
Robby, thank you for the thorough review. I'm new to the site, but am already seeing that there is a vast amount of knowledge available here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Traverse gaiters brother! God bless!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, thank you for the thorough review. I'm new to the site, but am already seeing that there is a vast amount of knowledge available here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Traverse gaiters brother! God bless!

You are welcome, and God bless you too. Thanks for being part of the community.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think the 2.0 will fit over some crispi summits?

I don’t know because I don’t own that boot. Compare it to the Kenetrek Hardscrabble if you know anybody that has one. It fit those boots well, but I don’t think it would fit a bigger boot very well.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
mine did.

i wore through the strap pretty dang fast though, i like first lite, but not their gaiters... i didn't get an archery season out of mine

Thanks for clarifying on that. On your strap, is it the old style or the new polyurethane strap?

The new improved poly strap is shiny

View attachment 354886

The old is dull

View attachment 354887
mine was the older style for sure... glad they improved that, because it was pretty disappointing... they should be a solid gaiter now... i'll probably grab another pair, because that was all i didn't like about them. mine probably had 20 days before one side completely came apart... the new style looks like the same type i have on most of my gaiters, which just don't wear out. i have some sitka flash gaiters that are close to 15yrs old that i have worn off and on and the strap is still in pretty decent shape... those types of straps are just what gaiters should have... proven tough.... don't need to reinvent that wheel

Stoop

FNG
Would the 1.0 work over a trail runner? Or would it still be better to go for the 2.0?