First lite Sanctuary 2.0 review

For what it’s worth…this is my review on the first lite sanctuary 2.0 jacket and bibs. Also, for reference I’m 6’2” /210 pounds and have an average “outdoorsman” tolerance for the cold. I purchased the jacket and bibs, size large, through the onx early black Friday sale at 30% off and believe they ran me about $260 respectively. Shortly after they were at my door November 15th and now have roughly 15 hunts in them ranging from 39* and sunny to 18* and 25mph sustained winds. For all but one hunt I wore Sitka heavyweight baselayer bottoms, first lite origin top, and a thin no name puffy vest underneath.

Sizing is just about perfect for a late season set. Sleeves are long enough to cover and do not creep up the wrists while shooting a gun or drawing a bow (I also like the spandex v on the inside of each wrist, it’s thin and comfortably fits over a bow release). The jacket arms have a dramatic taper (shooters cut) that will not impede a bow string. It is tight to layer with it, though. The max I can get under is a heavy weight base layer and a thin puffy jacket. Anymore and I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting my bow. With that being said, you’ll only need those layers on the coldest of days sitting in a stand. There’s plenty of room in the chest and torso for a large puffy vest. I wanted to test the wind proofing/warmth so I used the jacket for two days hunting ducks in bitter-cold-windy-ass weather. The jacket performed well on the 8 mile boat ride through 2’ waves. It wasn’t a rainy day but boat spray made sure to test the dwr coatings. Once we arrived there was a 1/16” of ice from my head down but dry and decently warm. I could feel a small amount of air entering though the tree tether hole. The hood fits great, it’s actually warm, and fit to maintain peripheral vision. Three outside pockets are great, two for the hands and one left chest. Hand pockets have hand warmer pouches and elastic band to prevent wind which but you’ll have to get used to them. It has a weird horizontal mesh pocket on the inside lower back and assumed it was meant for hand/kidney warmers. I think I’m right because, damn… they keep you toasty warm. 10/10 idea. Other than that it’s plenty quiet enough for still deer woods. I only wish there were pit zips for the occasional long walk in. Easy to get around though by taking the jacket off lol

On to the bibs. Obviously same outer material and insulation as the jacket which is great. Good length a little bulky around the waist but again it’s late season gear. I wish the knee down was slightly larger because it’s pretty tight fitting around muck boots. There are full zips down each leg for easy venting and work great with saddle hunting (99% of my hunt). I wear my saddle over my base layer and under the bibs. My bridge is the only thing out in the open and prevents the insulation from losing loft. I wish the bibs had the fancy kidney warmer pocket in them, though. You can’t really feel the warmers through the back of the bibs when wearing both.

Edit: the bibs have the cool kidney warmer pockets.

Overall I think these were a great 30% off buy and would recommend them to anyone. I was deciding between these and the Sitka aero lite’s but couldn’t bring myself to spend the extra money.

Side note/ the outer material is woven tight and doesn’t seem to pick up many burdocks, briers and other seeds while walking in.

Last edited:

MrRogers

FNG
For what it’s worth…this is my review on the first lite sanctuary 2.0 jacket and bibs. Also, for reference I’m 6’2” /210 pounds and have an average “outdoorsman” tolerance for the cold. I purchased the jacket and bibs, size large, through the onx early black Friday sale at 30% off and believe they ran me about $260 respectively. Shortly after they were at my door November 15th and now have roughly 15 hunts in them ranging from 39* and sunny to 18* and 25mph sustained winds. For all but one hunt I wore Sitka heavyweight baselayer bottoms, first lite origin top, and a thin no name puffy vest underneath.

Sizing is just about perfect for a late season set. Sleeves are long enough to cover and do not creep up the wrists while shooting a gun or drawing a bow (I also like the spandex v on the inside of each wrist, it’s thin and comfortably fits over a bow release). The jacket arms have a dramatic taper (shooters cut) that will not impede a bow string. It is tight to layer with it, though. The max I can get under is a heavy weight base layer and a thin puffy jacket. Anymore and I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting my bow. With that being said, you’ll only need those layers on the coldest of days sitting in a stand. There’s plenty of room in the chest and torso for a large puffy vest. I wanted to test the wind proofing/warmth so I used the jacket for two days hunting ducks in bitter-cold-windy-ass weather. The jacket performed well on the 8 mile boat ride through 2’ waves. It wasn’t a rainy day but boat spray made sure to test the dwr coatings. Once we arrived there was a 1/16” of ice from my head down but dry and decently warm. I could feel a small amount of air entering though the tree tether hole. The hood fits great, it’s actually warm, and fit to maintain peripheral vision. Three outside pockets are great, two for the hands and one left chest. Hand pockets have hand warmer pouches and elastic band to prevent wind which but you’ll have to get used to them. It has a weird horizontal mesh pocket on the inside lower back and assumed it was meant for hand/kidney warmers. I think I’m right because, damn… they keep you toasty warm. 10/10 idea. Other than that it’s plenty quiet enough for still deer woods. I only wish there were pit zips for the occasional long walk in. Easy to get around though by taking the jacket off lol

On to the bibs. Obviously same outer material and insulation as the jacket which is great. Good length a little bulky around the waist but again it’s late season gear. I wish the knee down was slightly larger because it’s pretty tight fitting around muck boots. There are full zips down each leg for easy venting and work great with saddle hunting (99% of my hunt). I wear my saddle over my base layer and under the bibs. My bridge is the only thing out in the open and prevents the insulation from losing loft. I wish the bibs had the fancy kidney warmer pocket in them, though. You can’t really feel the warmers through the back of the bibs when wearing both.

Overall I think these were a great 30% off buy and would recommend them to anyone. I was deciding between these and the Sitka aero lite’s but couldn’t bring myself to spend the extra money.

Side note/ the outer material is woven tight and doesn’t seem to pick up many burdocks, briers and other seeds while walking in.
Thank you for the review. I'm going deer hunting in Alberta next November and I'm considering picking up this set.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sanctuary 2.0 as well and I am a fan. 1st Sunday of rifle season in WI it was 6 degrees + winds 15kt sustained/25kt gusts when I went out for the AM sit and the set handled it well.

I'm intrigued about how you have your saddle/bridge set up underneath - are you pulling the front of the bibs up through the bridge and having it come around the sides?

I have the Solitude 2.0 and, other than the substantial extra warmth and bit more bulk of the Sanctuary, they are pretty similar I think. I’d think at your size you’d be close to maxing out the large. I’m 5‘ 10” 178lbs and the large is a bit big on me. I would have liked to tried a M and L but I’m pretty sure the M would have felt a bit to small. Story of my apparel fit life. I fit a next to skin base and Furnace top and bottom under it no problem. Even in the tapered arms. I think that combo will reliably take me into the low 20’s for all day comfort. The Sanctuary must be a beast for warmth. I think you buy these setups for the really cold days and you don’t have to layer a lot. My goal anyway. Definitely need to pack it in if you have far to go to your stand.

What do you think of the high collar? It is awesome for warmth. I loved it for sealing up the neck area and keeping my face warm. A key contributor to its overall warmth. But I cannot shoot my bow with it zipped up around my face. It’s thick and causes me to be 4-5” off to the side at even 10 yards. I have to unzip it and push it away with my hand at the end of my draw. And it is still very close to the bow string making me a little nervous it will slap it. But I took a lot of shots to confirm and that never happened. Takes some technique to get that right and deserves some practice time. I haven’t tried it with a gun yet but i think it would change cheek weld enough that you may need to adjust for it. Not sure.

Great tip on wearing the saddle. I’ll have to experiment with that.

Also got the Sanctuary 2.0 this year. First piece of “nice” hunting clothing I’ve bought. Fit was a little light and first but loosed up after a couple of wears. Definitely great for tree stand hunting. Need to pack in the jacket otherwise you will overheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natey57

FNG
I’m thinking about stepping into the Sanctuary lineup. I’m interested in wearing the saddle under also…are your lineman belt loops usable?

I’m thinking about stepping into the Sanctuary lineup. I’m interested in wearing the saddle under also…are your lineman belt loops usable?

I do not think so. Just the safety harness strap

nosajnh

FNG
This season I was looking for a jacket/bib setup for long, saddle hangs during Nov./Dec. in temp ranges from the single digits to the mid 40's. In the past I have just added layers under a wind-resistant shell however I was sick of adding layer after layer. I chose the Sanctuary 2.0 over the Solitude because I wanted something I could be in for 8 hrs of minimal movement at 20. I looked at a Fanatic setup however I did not see the value over the Sanctuary 2.0. I made that evaluation strictly from my keyboard so I could be wrong however I am very happy with my choice. I am 6' 185 and bought the large and find it a good fit. I hunted days that started in the single digits and ended any where from the mid 20's to mid 40's and was comfortable the whole time. I would walk .5 to 1+ miles in/out and I would wear the bibs unzipped on the sides and a couple layers of merino on top. Once I was set up I would then put on the jacket. I found the setup very comfortable and free moving. I like the shooters cut and had no problem shooting my bow with the jacket and bibs on. I did managed to stick a nice 6 pt with them on. Both items are silent except for a little zipper noise which is to be expected. The deer was 7 yds from the tree and I was about 12' high when I drew back and he did not hear a thing. When I got down and went to look for the deer I did take the jacket off and put it in my pack. The pockets are very functional on both the jacket and the bibs. The jacket does not have pit vents however there are zippered pass throughs on the sides that will vent heat if needed. This system will not be right for everyone however is really exactly what I was looking for long motionless hangs in the cold.

bigbahksdude

Lil-Rokslider
I'm intrigued about how you have your saddle/bridge set up underneath - are you pulling the front of the bibs up through the bridge and having it come around the sides?

I’m interested in wearing the saddle under also…are your lineman belt loops usable?
How have you guys not gotten an response on this? We need answers! That's the only thing I could come up with too - pulling the front of the bib through the bridge, and keeping the leg zippers down far enough for clearance. But it looks like it would push your coat up letting the coldy cold in, and like it just couldn't be comfortable. Clearly it worked for @MichHunter though, so lay it on us man! How did you do it?

Love my FL stuff. Highly recommend it.

Hudsy

FNG
I couldn’t recommend the sanctuary coat enough. The bibs are a bit too warm & heavy for me, but nice to carry in on a shorter walk if they’ll be needed.

nosajnh

FNG
How have you guys not gotten an response on this? We need answers! That's the only thing I could come up with too - pulling the front of the bib through the bridge, and keeping the leg zippers down far enough for clearance. But it looks like it would push your coat up letting the coldy cold in, and like it just couldn't be comfortable. Clearly it worked for @MichHunter though, so lay it on us man! How did you do it?
If he had a detachable bridge he could probably feed it through the kitlink zippers on the sides of the coat that let you access your bib muff/pockets under the coat while the front is zipped.