First Lite Dirtbag Duffle

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have field experience with this bag? When I say field experience, I mean tossing it in the back of the pickup and driving through some moisture, rain or snow.

Mine just arrived today and I am very disappointed and concerned. The material and design are amazing. The material does seem practically bomb proof and waterproof. However, I am very concerned about the zippers. They are basic and look very susceptible to water seeping through. They do not look water resistant. FL didn't even put a flap over the zipper seams to steer water away from the zipper seams.

Thinking about returning this. $200 is a lot to pay for something that is marketed as waterproof but will have everything inside soak due to poorly designed zipper seems. Or, am I overreacting and they perform well in moisture?

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I would return it and get a Watershed Drybag for the same price, not just waterproof, but submersible and bomb proof. My white water buddies swear by them.

OP
A

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
I would return it and get a Watershed Drybag for the same price, not just waterproof, but submersible and bomb proof. My white water buddies swear by them.
Thanks. I definitely don't need it to be submersible. Probably the worst elements it would see is sitting on the went ground inside of a wall tent or tossed into the back of a pick up truck that may be exposed to some snow or rain. Was just really disappointed to see that for the price of $200, this bag doesn't have water resistant zippers and.or a flap running along it to move water away when rained on.

I am very concerned about the zippers. They are basic and look very susceptible to water seeping through. They do not look water resistant. FL didn't even put a flap over the zipper seams to steer water away from the zipper seams.

Thinking about returning this. $200 is a lot to pay for something that is marketed as waterproof but will have everything inside soak due to poorly designed zipper seems. Or, am I overreacting and they perform well in moisture?
Without seeing or testing, I can only make guesses. My first reaction would be to load the bag with something and then put it through a water test using a hose and sprinkler to mimic rainfall. I'm thinking some moisture will get past the zippers, but perhaps very little in reality. I think it might be a bit over the top to think you "will have everything inside soak due to poorly designed zipper". Looking at the website I can see nothing which claims the duffel is overall waterproof top to bottom.

I have several duffels and none of them has a waterproof zipper. When transporting in wet weather they typically end up under a tarp or given some marginal protection. I've just personally never worried about it much, and I've not had a wet gear issue ever. That might be different if I was going to travel many hundreds of miles (or days) with a duffel in the bed of an open truck.

I bought the Large dirtbag duffle right when it came out and have been very happy with it. The main zipper is protected by a flap that folds over the zipper but the side zippers do not. I have had it in the rain one time and did not have an issue with water getting into the bag. I would not trust the outside pockets not getting wet if I left it in the rain for an extended time but I can't think of a reason I would do that.

twall13

WKR
Where is it marketed as waterproof? I've never seen anything saying it's waterproof and I wouldn't expect it to be. I don't have one for any useful input but I had always assumed it was similar to my eagle creek no matter what duffel with a waterproof material but no taped seams and non waterproof zippers. It should provide a decent amount of water resistance because of the materials but it's not a bag you'd count on to keep things dry in anything more than a light sprinkling of rain. At least that's how I have always perceived this bag and I couldn't find anything on the website leading me to believe otherwise but I've been wrong before and if it's truly marketed as waterproof I'd have the same concerns you do.

If you want waterproof, look at some of the other options out there. The watershed drybags are a good option. Kryptek is also having a sell on their Aegeon Waterproof Duffel right now as well for $85-100 depending on the size you get. These options aren't going to have the same feature set as the First Lite duffels, but they will be waterproof if that's your main concern.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
You have it in hand. Test how water resistant the zippers are. Put some gear inside of it, and use a hose to saturate the duffel. You will see how much water gets through the zippers and you can determine if that is acceptable or not to you.

If it isn't acceptable, then dry it out and return it. They won't know you wet the bag if you allow it to dry.

Having had several waterproof duffels, I'm mostly over them anyway. I find they work great for transport purposes, but it ends there. Most of the the affordable ones have roll-down closures which make it difficult to see and access gear. Much of the time I was dumpster-diving and scuffling around in the bag feeling for whatever I needed. There are zippered bags which have wp zippers at typically much higher cost.

Fishpond offers a 100L waterproof (submersible) duffel with a wp zipper but it'll set you back 4 bills. No thanks, especially with the beating it'll take if the airline baggage boys get their hands on it.