First Lite ASAT, good for everything?

MylesH

FNG
I've been looking to get some new camo for my upcoming whitetail and future hunts. I really want a camo I can use for any and every hunt and not have to worry about taking more than one or two sets of the same clothing. I've really been looking at First Lite and Sitka the most but from past research done, the only thing Sitka has that is noticeably better than First Lite is there outer shells. So what do y'all think, any experience with one or both and thoughts on them.

Dameon

WKR
I use ASAT for everything and own nearly the entire FL line. That being said, FL is dropping ASAT. I would invest in their Fusion camo if I had to start over again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
I use ASAT for everything and own nearly the entire FL line. That being said, FL is dropping ASAT. I would invest in their Fusion camo if I had to start over again today.

Really? Do you know why they're dropping it?

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you're a real dedicated bow hunter and feel that camo is important for your success, but if not I wouldn't limit yourself to a camo action suit. If you do without it, the outerwear world is your oyster. You can pick stuff based primarily on performance alone. I realize that doesn't directly answer your question about ASAT, but a "good for everything" answer either way will be qualitative anyway. Good luck with your clothing search!

Dameon

WKR

Really? Do you know why they're dropping it?

The ASAT camo pattern is owned by the ASAT company and First Lite has or had a license agreement with them to manufacture clothing with that pattern. First Lite designed Fusion and now Cipher in conjunction with the Veil Camo company and First Lite owns the exclusive rights. I don't know First Lite's financial situation, but it would be cheaper to offer only Fusion and Cipher in the future and it would probably make the manufacturing and warehousing process more efficient. Personally, I would rather see them buy ASAT outright, but that is just my opinion. I own several pieces from the ASAT company, and the quality is not the same....not even close.

In regards to choosing a camo, it depends on the kind of hunting you do. For elk, solid earth tone colors will do as long as you mix and match the colors a bit to break up your outline. For elk, the quality of the clothing is more important than the pattern on it. You will want something that is light, durable, breathable, and doesn't hold a funky smell after wearing it for days on end while hiking for miles on end. Any merino wool base layer is awesome for that.

The situation is different for whitetails on two fronts. You would want some kind of pattern to break up your outline when sky lined up in a tree. ASAT works great because it makes you look like a a bunch of nondescript branches or anything other than human. When still hunting whitetails, pattern is exceptionally important if you plan on getting in bow range. On the ground, ASAT makes you look like anything other than human and deer will tend to ignore you as long as you control your movement and play the wind. Once they smell you, the game is over. I've used ASAT to still hunt and stalk within 15 yards of multiple does and bucks using ASAT. The wind is the most important factor, but the ASAT does its job. I've had several instances where whitetails stop and look straight at me while stalking them in the open and they just go back to feeding. I've done this three times this year and got as close as 15 yards on a couple of does.

For turkey, ASAT is tops. Turkeys see color and they see movement. You can get camo that makes you look like a tree, or you can get camo that makes you look like anything other than a threat. If you control your movement and pick a suitable position like a tree or bushes behind you, the turkeys won't even know you are there. For turkeys, I prefer my ASAT leafy suit.

OP
MylesH

MylesH

FNG
The ASAT camo pattern is owned by the ASAT company and First Lite has or had a license agreement with them to manufacture clothing with that pattern. First Lite designed Fusion and now Cipher in conjunction with the Veil Camo company and First Lite owns the exclusive rights. I don't know First Lite's financial situation, but it would be cheaper to offer only Fusion and Cipher in the future and it would probably make the manufacturing and warehousing process more efficient. Personally, I would rather see them buy ASAT outright, but that is just my opinion. I own several pieces from the ASAT company, and the quality is not the same....not even close.

In regards to choosing a camo, it depends on the kind of hunting you do. For elk, solid earth tone colors will do as long as you mix and match the colors a bit to break up your outline. For elk, the quality of the clothing is more important than the pattern on it. You will want something that is light, durable, breathable, and doesn't hold a funky smell after wearing it for days on end while hiking for miles on end. Any merino wool base layer is awesome for that.

The situation is different for whitetails on two fronts. You would want some kind of pattern to break up your outline when sky lined up in a tree. ASAT works great because it makes you look like a a bunch of nondescript branches or anything other than human. When still hunting whitetails, pattern is exceptionally important if you plan on getting in bow range. On the ground, ASAT makes you look like anything other than human and deer will tend to ignore you as long as you control your movement and play the wind. Once they smell you, the game is over. I've used ASAT to still hunt and stalk within 15 yards of multiple does and bucks using ASAT. The wind is the most important factor, but the ASAT does its job. I've had several instances where whitetails stop and look straight at me while stalking them in the open and they just go back to feeding. I've done this three times this year and got as close as 15 yards on a couple of does.

For turkey, ASAT is tops. Turkeys see color and they see movement. You can get camo that makes you look like a tree, or you can get camo that makes you look like anything other than a threat. If you control your movement and pick a suitable position like a tree or bushes behind you, the turkeys won't even know you are there. For turkeys, I prefer my ASAT leafy suit.

Thanks for your knowledge, do you have any idea when the license will end? If it is soon im probably going to buy everything i can in ASAT.

Dobermann

WKR
Before you go all out, perhaps check out some of the photos and videos that are kicking around comparing Fusion and ASAT side-by-side ... ASAT no doubt has its place, but Fusion seems to break up outlines just as well, but blend into surroundings more - it's more a combination of pattern disruption (think ASAT at the extreme end of this) as well as pattern simulation (think some of the Real Tree patterns at the other extreme). In other words, Fusion not only doesn't make you look like a human, and it makes you look more like your surroundings. In certain circumstances, ASAT will do its job of breaking up your outline, but won't necessarily blend it with its surroundings well.

(This is related to - but not entirely the same as - the micro vs macro patterning idea behind the Fusion design process.)

Having said that, there are some crazy-good deals around right now on FL ASAT, which gives a good chance to check out if those particular pieces work for you. And mixing and matching ASAT and Fusion (or Cipher) down the track wouldn't be the end of the world ...

I Mix and match my First Lite ASAT, Fusion and Predator. Compliment each other fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
9020bbd89d4b930932189bb49db0ef8f.jpg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fusion is more stylish looking to humans and helps hide you from other hunters using cursory scans. ASAT hides you from game and is about as low on the fashionista scale as one can get. Fusion is a good pattern, but I've seen the tests, and I've used both. ASAT works better in the field in MY opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BH107

FNG
FL is done with ASAT. It’s currently on clearance with very limited availability.

That being said, watch the classifieds and see what guys are getting rid of. I know I’m probably going to sell mine if i can’t ever add to my setup.

Okhotnik

WKR
I love the ASAT pattern. Using it now over 30 years on bow hunting for caribou, antelope, tree stand hunting for deer and bear and coyote hunting

16Bore

WKR
I generally prefer that my shoes, belt, and watchband match. It kinda rounds out my outfit. I usually don’t like black shoes with khakis, but if they are a dull black it works, even better if they are chukka wingtip boots. Cap toes and monk straps are only for suits, but sometimes the monks with darker wash denim look pretty sharp with a white starched open collar shirt and blue jacket. Modern fit of course.

Billinsd

WKR
I got an ASAT leafy top and pants and swear I'm invisible when I wear it. I've had it for 25 plus years, maybe 30. Take a photo of yourself in black and white and that's basically what the mammal see.