First for everything

CaseyU

WKR
A sheep tag is not something that comes across thought to many of the western hunters. Not because of the lack of sheep or desire to have to opportunity, but because the years and decades putting in for a tag naturally make you focus on other critters such as elk, deer, and antelope. Well you could only imagine what was rolling through my family's heads when my father in law drew a sheep tag in the home state, NV. I was actually surprised how easy it was to throw all of my other adventures and hobbies out the window for a tag of this stature. For starters I have never even saw a bighorn prior to scouting, to say I was excited wouldn't do it justice. We started where most would, and that is calling everybody we knew who ever had an opportunity to chase sheep and gather all the insight we could.(huge thank you to a couple of reno fire guys!) We then looked and watched hundreds to thousands of pictures and videos of desert sheep. Poured over maps and planned our scouting trips.
I have no problem in saying and thanking Nevada and their other cooperators for all of their diligence and work in conserving the sheep herds in the state. I feel confident in saying that any sheep tag in the state is going to be a great and fulfilling hunt.
Now to put boots on the ground, we did what every hunting nerd does and that's spend a ton of money, time, glass hours, and boot leather in finding these unbelievable creatures. We poured over tons of country and looked at a bunch of sheep and watched and learned what these things are made of. Let me Segway for a second to share the adventure of judging sheep. Where to start? articles, books, word of mouth, pictures after pictures. Use their eyes as a reference, use their ears as a reference, look for MASS, look for an open curl, look for a curl that is going down vs out, they always look bigger when alone. Ultimately I came to this, When you look at a bunch of rams, and you see one that makes you go HOLY SHIT what is that? That's a great ram!
Back to the story, we found a holy shit what is that... and wow was it awesome to look at this ram. So we watched this ram and learned where he liked to be, who he was hanging out with and so on and so forth.
Finally we head back in before opening day. We were lucky enough to have my little brother tag a long and who has never saw a sheep prior to this hunt. On the way in we saw a group of 7 rams and let him drool over them for a little while before heading into camp. We finally turned him up the day before season. We watched him until you swear you could still see them in the spotter but its completely your imagination (it is definitely pitch black outside). So we made it back to camp and made a plan using maps, topography, wind, and the weather. Best of luck trying to sleep after putting a ram like that to bed the day before opener.
Opening morning was here and we were hunkered down just under the skyline as light started pouring in from the east. Wind was blasting us in the face just like planned. we made our way to a pre determined rock out cropping over looking the drainage. within minutes we had Ewes getting up and stretching for the days journey. We sat their patiently waiting for the band to get up and start their sheep routine. Then the first ram pops up, he is a very wide ram that my father in law really liked (he was number 2). I swear it was low 40s outside but I am pretty sure I was sitting in a hot spot because my temperature was up and that heart was pumping. what felt like eternity and I am sure was only 30 seconds, the big one popped up and looked around....
For waiting 18 years to draw this tag, hours and days put into research, scouting, packing a weeks worth of needs into sheep camp, and climbing to the top of mountains to look at these magnificent creatures.
My father in law sent a 150 grain bullet 131 yards into the boiler room. All 3 of us literally had to sit down as we could not believe what just happened. Our usual hunts consist of day in day out work, blown stalks, countless encounters, and hope that we get the chance where everything lines up perfect. The hunting gods blessed us with this one, 34 minutes into opening morning we just did what some people will continue to dream about while they wait, pray, and hope for an opportunity to hunt a ram.
We made our way across the drainage and there is only a couple more things in this life that are more precious than the smiles, emotions, and feeling as we put our hands on this great ram. We gave thanks, took countless pictures, and got to work. We caped, processed, and packed our trophy off the mountain. The 3 of us were bulletproof as we made it back to the truck and eventually camp still checking the back of the truck to make sure what just happened wasn't a dream.
We finally made it home greeted by our loves ones and got to relive the emotions over and over by telling the story, sharing pictures, and watching our family see this magnificent ram. The ram scored 163 2/8. More than that, I will be forever thankful to share this hunt with my father in law and little brother. To some, this might just look like a successful hunt. In my book you couldn't be more wrong. To all of the dedicated outdoorsman, you know exactly what I am talking about.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Scouting
10f7e6ab6ae89c2dc19be73d5878c79b.jpg
81c415205c5ecdf7cc3c216c0936942f.jpg
021090ddf661271fa9d1173406ef03fa.jpg
df0260d56b9d70f251dd7fc66d7dbb10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great job!! I'm leaving Thursday for a Desert hunt in 280. It is a test range unit so no scouting for us. Hoping to turn up a nice sheep.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to your father n law👍 As noted it is more than a filled tag. The memories, emotions, time out and full experience are what adds to our life and drive us to experience those emotions year after year👊

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Casey you guys really put it together. What a great ram but more than that what a great way to enjoy time with those that matter most

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
That's what makes this forum so great. Guys like you that make that kind of effort towards the hunt then take the time to post it. Thanks for both.

UB270

FNG
Congratulations to your father inlaw ! I also had a Nevada desert sheep tag. I think I killed that rams twin. I'll have to get a story and pics posted.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Thanks for all the kind words. @UB270 can't wait to hear about your adventure as well.

Slim Jim

WKR
Very cool Casey and congrats to your father in law! I hope to finally draw mine here in the next handful of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk