First Elk hunt?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for information. Not the normal where to or how to questions. I have already done a lot of research on the areas I will try to draw a tag. I will be trying for Wyoming 2024 and New Mexico 2023. My main questions are about scouting. From the time you draw the tag early to mid spring. When is the best time to go scout the area. I know elk tend to move to winter range in the areas I will apply for. What time of year could I pre-scout and what is the soonest time I could expect the elk to be in the general area they will be during the season. All the areas are early to mid October hunt dates. Let me say I want to kill the biggest elk to ever walk North America, but will not pass on any legal bull. So I am not looking for the one bull. I have at least driven around some in all the areas in New Mexico. This was in March and all the elk I saw were in large groups on private land at the foot of the mountains. Any advice on how you prep for a area you have never hunted.

Taudisio

WKR
Lots of time looking at maps even before I apply. Go camping during summer in the area and check topo maps to get a reference of the maps vs the dirt (if you are newer to maps). This will give you a reference of what kind of hiking you will be looking at. The more time you can spend looking around a unit, you have little knowledge about, the better. See if the have cow hunts or other hunts going on just before your season and see where a lot of people are going. If you hunt with the crowd then go to where all the trucks are. But they will give you an idea of places that animals probably are and you can reference maps of similar terrain that may have their own animals. Go to the area in Wyoming you will be in 2024 during the 2023 season. This will be the best scouting as long as the weather is similar year after year. The easiest way is to get some trail cameras if they are legal and check them often and move them if necessary. Talking to biologists may point you in a good direction. Hard question to answer as every situation is different. You can scout it this year and it may be hot and dry during the season. Next year it may be a blizzard opening day. Be flexible and have plans A to K for unforeseen variables! Good luck!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Hope you’ve got points now for Wyoming, getting crazy there.
New Mexico is random, so may the luck be with you.
Scout even if you don’t hunt. Plan on scouting the first day or two you’re out there. Like already stated, have several plans and backup plans. Be flexible, elk are where you find them.
Time in front of maps will definitely help narrow down finding them.