First elk hunt gear list and questions

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
Going to Colorado in november for 3rd season rifle. Here is my gear list so far. Tear it apart and make recommendation!
- Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 pack
- Kuiu Guide jacket and attack pants (outer)
- Kuiu Kenai jacket and pants (insulation)
-Kuiu merino 145 top & bottoms
- Kuiu merino 210 top and bottoms
- Guide Gloves
- Gaiters
-MSR Elixir 3 tent
-Thermarest neoair xlite pad
- Kelty cosmic down 19 degree bag
- Optimus weekend cooking set
- 3L platypus
- Benchmade Steep Country
- vortex Diamondback 10×42 Nino
- vortex razor 11-33×50 spotter

Things I still need
- Water filtration?
- GPS? (not from the area)
- elk tag (overwhelmed on picking a unit)

I'm sure there are plenty of things I am missing but I can't think of them. Please give all the recommendations you can! Even how to hunt in the third rifle season.

Thanks guys!

Knives, rope, several lights (headband, visor,etc), extra batteries, game bags, water purification tabs, Wilderness Athlete Altitude Adjustment Pills, WA Hydrate & Recover, basic first-aid kit (bandages, antibiotic ointment) pain reliever aleve, aspirins, tube of superglue, roll of duct tape...

AdamW

WKR
Tag for my own selfish information for my own first hunt.

And based on the absurd amount of research I've done in the last 6 months or so...

1. Water filter - the Sawyer Squeeze system seems very popular. Don't let it freeze, keep it in a ziploc in your jacket and sleeping bag. Back that up with Aquamira drops if you want a backup.

2. GPS - Check out OnXMaps mobile app. This seems to get more popular every week. I'm going to play with it this month in CO and see how it works for me.

3. Elk tag/unit - look at the elk statistics (available on the CPW website) for the last several years for units that are in the area of the state you want to hunt. Check out the success rate for 3rd season in those units, the number of elk harvested, etc. When your eyes are about to explode out of your head, you will be getting very close. :)

Other:

A. Good pair of boots
B. A mobile charger/battery pack doo dad. I have the 10,000mah Amazon charger and have had great luck with it using it since Christmas.
C. Sunglasses
D. Leukotape for blisters
E. Tire chains and vehicle gear probably not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Along the line of Laelkhunter's list of personal items, unscented baby wipes, a tube of ChapStick (your lips can dry out at altitude and the antibiotic ointment can be used sparingly to avoid splits in your finger tips), some moleskin and leukotape. And of course, TP.

I also carry a small emergency tarp, a fire starter, some trip tease and a couple of space blankets when hunting. The space blankets double as a clean surface to set meat on when breaking down an animal and then to wrap the head in when packing out so my pack isn't soaking up juice.

Edit: mrbillbrown and AdamW beat me to it when I got interrupted while typing my post.

Going to Colorado in november for 3rd season rifle. Here is my gear list so far. Tear it apart and make recommendation!
- Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 pack
- Kuiu Guide jacket and attack pants (outer)
- Kuiu Kenai jacket and pants (insulation)
-Kuiu merino 145 top & bottoms
- Kuiu merino 210 top and bottoms
- Guide Gloves
- Gaiters
-MSR Elixir 3 tent
-Thermarest neoair xlite pad
- Kelty cosmic down 19 degree bag
- Optimus weekend cooking set
- 3L platypus
- Benchmade Steep Country
- vortex Diamondback 10×42 Nino
- vortex razor 11-33×50 spotter

Things I still need
- Water filtration?
- GPS? (not from the area)
- elk tag (overwhelmed on picking a unit)

I'm sure there are plenty of things I am missing but I can't think of them. Please give all the recommendations you can! Even how to hunt in the third rifle season.

Thanks guys!

Do you plan on hunting backcountry or are you going to be camping at or within a couple miles of the truck? How long are you planning on staying?

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Do you plan on hunting backcountry or are you going to be camping at or within a couple miles of the truck? How long are you planning on staying?

Yeah, depending on where you're at (physically & altitude), it could be very snowy or very wet that time of year. You should really pick a unit to know where you will be hunting and what you will face in terms of weather/terrain/hunting style in order to perfect your gear list.

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider

Backcountry hunting and I was planning for 6 days

I would never pack back in that time of year without rain gear. Also don't see any shelter, sleeping bag, etc... Pretty intense to hunt solo backpack that time of year.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lithium batteries, they do better in the cold. 2 sawyer filters incase one does freeze. Find out if your bag is the water resistant down ( older kelty cosmic series were not) Stove? didn't see it listed. Hand warmers in your boots at night makes them warmer in the morning, also can wrap them around your fuel canister , water filter. Insulated hose for your bladder. Game bags? Recommend a bright color of 550 cord. I agree with others, can be an intense time of year so a sat phone or emergency locator don't rely on cell service. Didn't see a warm hat on the list if that kenai has a hood you still need orange on your head. For a unit pick one that has public land high and low, its a crap shoot if the elk have moved down yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I brought for my lower body in November was soft poly pants, snow pants and rain pants. The soft poly pants can be your base layer then rain pants for wind or rain. Snow pants can be glassing pants too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Unless you:

1. Sleep really warm
2. Have a stove
3. Hunt in really low elevations

I would seriously reconsider a 19 degree bag for 3rd rifle season in Colorado. I have seen near zero temps during 1st rifle, 3rd rifle those temps are even more likely.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would never pack back in that time of year without rain gear.

I have never in 35 years needed rain gear that late in the season. It's too cold then, if there's precip it will be snow.

Personally I wouldn't back pack in that late without a heat source.......would be miserable without one. I'd also rethink the 19 degree bag. I use a 0 degree quilt in Aug/Sept. November I'm up to my -30 bag.

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
I would never pack back in that time of year without rain gear. Also don't see any shelter, sleeping bag, etc... Pretty intense to hunt solo backpack that time of year.

I said I had an MSR Elixir tent with a 19 degree kelty down bag

OP
C

cshore93

Lil-Rokslider
I have never in 35 years needed rain gear that late in the season. It's too cold then, if there's precip it will be snow.

Personally I wouldn't back pack in that late without a heat source.......would be miserable without one. I'd also rethink the 19 degree bag. I use a 0 degree quilt in Aug/Sept. November I'm up to my -30 bag.

Really appreciate the info! Still have the tags on my bag so its no problem returning it. Do you think i could get by with a 0 degree down bag with my base layers on plus more clothing on? Have any recommendations on a heat source?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Really appreciate the info! Still have the tags on my bag so its no problem returning it. Do you think i could get by with a 0 degree down bag with my base layers on plus more clothing on? Have any recommendations on a heat source?

That's all dependent on you. I've suffered through the cold......camping in those later seasons, which is one reason why I hunt the archery season now. At a minimum I'd want the 0 degree bag, a heck of an insulated pad (like the downmat 9), and a shelter with a stove. But that's me. With a tent without a stove, I'd at least take something like the Primus Micron Lantern for at least a little heat in the mornings.

On the other hand, if you go out as is........then you'll know where you need to change things up for next time.;)

For that third season, I would think the "best" you could hope for would be warm days. However, that late in the year you're still going to see cold nights. How cold depends on the year.

Last edited: