First Bow - buy from local shop or private

Jkr61

FNG
Left eye dominant right handed here. I bought a left handed bow best decision ever. It wasn’t that difficult to get used to shooting I’ve had more trouble with knocking an arrow. I started to create a pattern that didn’t work well because I set them on the tailgate. Now I load them in my quiver and knock them just like I do in the field.

You can save a chunk of change by buying used on archerytalk on flagship bows, especially last years model. I’ve had several great experiences. Take it to an archery shop and let them set it up. If you buy arrows and accessories from them, they’re usually a little more “forgiving” about it. If you buy directly from an archery shop, you’ll often get free setup and service but you’ll be paying for it via cost of new. Check the reviews of archery shops as well, they’re both good and bad ones. Some are holier than thou and everything they do is right and every other shop is wrong🙄

As far as which brand and bow goes, best advice I can give is shoot as many as you can! The one that shoots best for YOU and feels best for YOU is the one you need.

One with a rotating draw module will be easier to resell and you won’t have to worry with finding the specific draw module you may need. Higher brace heights and longer ATA tend to be more forgiving and smoother draw.

I agree with others that a shop is best if you can budget it. The thing with private bow sales is you never really know if the bow was abused or dry fired etc. That and you will probably need a restring which can run $200 with a tune.

OP
B

Brehmer22

FNG
I worked with my local shop and shot a few more bows but I couldn’t swing the list price. I got a used Bowtech Revolt X and plan on getting all other items locally

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same spot as you 4 years ago. I think building a relationship with a local shop, archery/firearms/bikes/skis is invaluable so I purchased from a shop. They have been very helpful over the years and been willing to do rushed work a couple times because I had that relationship. I’d suggest to support the shop instead of buying used. Dropping off a six pack in August also isn’t a bad idea as they’re getting inundated with people who didn’t prepare earlier on the season and they’ll definitely remember you next time

Reactions: Duh