First bear hunt, questions!

Badland

FNG
Going on my first bear hunt in MN. It will be over bait. My main question is I’m looking at using my grandpas Korean War rifle 7x57 Mauser or his model 94 30-30. Otherwise I have a .300 win and a modern marlin 30-30 with a 3-9x40.

Any tips. I’ve never hunted myself but I filmed for a bear hunt once, just excited and want to make the most of it.

Ron.C

WKR
Any of the above rifles will work, of those choices I'd go with grandads 30-30.

Over bait, shots should be short and dont require optics. Wait for a broadside double lung and you'll have no issues.

For comparison, I've killed a couple good sized Vancouver Island black bears with my grandpas old 303 savage loaded with 150 gr hornady interlocks. That rifle is not all that different from a 30-30.

Was an awesome feeling of nostalgia taking bears with my grandpas o'l rifle.

Last edited:

Rogue Bay

WKR
Please let us know how the hunt goes. Nothing cooler than using a weapon with sentimental value for a milestone hunt. Best of luck and have fun!

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
I can definitely report back after the hunt in sept. I know it’s a silly question but just excited and think I have my answer. Model 94 it is.

From a practical point of view, if the 94 has iron sights I'd go with the Marlin or find a way to switch the scopes over. These bears are black (obviously) and show up in the dark woods at the end of shooting light. The bear I shot over bait I could not reliably see with my naked eye let alone aim at him with iron sights.

Look up Bernie Berringer on YouTube. He's a bear guide in Minnesota that does seminars, organizes get togethers, and writes for bear hunting magazines. I'm sure he hides some of his secrets but he's pretty helpful.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Were the North Koreans using that Mauser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great question. I really don’t know the history on this gun at all and easily could have been used by a communist side. He’s been gone since early 2000s when I would have been far too young to ask. It’s been stored away with most of his other guns until the last week or so when my grandmother began downsizing to an apt and she doesn’t appear to know or remember much of the history, voicing he had to have it at home after he was back from Korea.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
From a practical point of view, if the 94 has iron sights I'd go with the Marlin or find a way to switch the scopes over. These bears are black (obviously) and show up in the dark woods at the end of shooting light. The bear I shot over bait I could not reliably see with my naked eye let alone aim at him with iron sights.

Look up Bernie Berringer on YouTube. He's a bear guide in Minnesota that does seminars, organizes get togethers, and writes for bear hunting magazines. I'm sure he hides some of his secrets but he's pretty helpful.
I’ll certainly look him up and take that into consideration, appreciate the reply

Reactions: Guy