First attempt at a DIY tipi

CB1

FNG
I wanted to try out a floorless shelter and thought I could make one. I used it for first rifle season in Colorado and will use it second season for deer. I brought a backup tent just in case but didn’t get any weather that would really test the shelter.

I based it loosely on the seek outside cinnamon for general dimensions but it is a bit wider. It is about 6’ tall and about 11’ wide in a true tipi shape. I used the pyramid calculator someone shared here to get the dimensions. With 8 stakes, timeouts, tent and dry bag it weighs in at 2lb 13.6oz. Carbon pole adds another 12 oz. Tent and stakes pack down to 10”x7” when compressed. It has timeouts at all 8corners (2 at each door), 2 doors with storm flaps, one peak vent and 2 mid height tieouts.

All materials from ripstop by the roll. 1.6oz silpoly for the main fabric, #5 ykk zippers for double doors, tensionlite line locks for all stakeout points, 0.9oz noseeum mesh for vent, and 420d robic ripstop nylon for timeouts and cone. Bought the Argali absaroka carbon pole to use in this one.

I used a cheap brother sewing machine I picked up on Craigslist which did surprisingly well with this project. Fabric stretch was a little tricky and the cone was a pain but overall happy with it. Panels didn’t line up as well at the top so had to make some adjustments. Lots of lessons learned for the next one. Pitch isn’t perfect by any means but it was a fun project.

6C83A586-9213-4A47-A7F6-ED4CC8B11536.jpeg523EB113-B4A8-4265-BB71-BF1F3B97B1F6.jpeg0305D992-4C12-419B-A9B0-DD27B8557842.jpegBA37C1C9-2C72-4F46-8DA0-E7DBE98D9E4F.jpeg2110BAB1-AAFC-4603-BEF4-E62C3A06984D.jpegC73B2B36-A323-402F-9D74-26C1908CF389.jpeg4558C5D7-0CEB-45D4-A9D1-895BD7D2FCDD.jpeg

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Good work on this one. I have really been wanting to make a Sawtooth knock off but I would want to use Dyneema for it. Given the price of the fabric alone I am intimidated to start and screw it up. What did you use for a thread on this?

OP
CB1

CB1

FNG
Good work on this one. I have really been wanting to make a Sawtooth knock off but I would want to use Dyneema for it. Given the price of the fabric alone I am intimidated to start and screw it up. What did you use for a thread on this?
Thanks! I had thought about making a sawtooth also but it was more material and thought I should start here. Sawtooth in Dyneema would be pretty cool. Fabric is expensive but supposed to be easier to sew.

I used guterman Mara 70 thread for this project. Color matched the fabric so it helps hide my poor sewing.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply. The Sawtooth is a great shape setup but far too large for a 1 man hunt. I don't like the sag of the nylon when wet either. I have Tarptent Dyneema one man for backpacking and it is by far the best material I have had in a tent. Only problem being it is far too small to hunt out of with gear. I am thinking/hoping I can make a Sawtooth ridge line design that is about 2' shorter. With Dyneema and an Argali carbon rod it should be about half the weight too.

OP
CB1

CB1

FNG
Thank you for the reply. The Sawtooth is a great shape setup but far too large for a 1 man hunt. I don't like the sag of the nylon when wet either. I have Tarptent Dyneema one man for backpacking and it is by far the best material I have had in a tent. Only problem being it is far too small to hunt out of with gear. I am thinking/hoping I can make a Sawtooth ridge line design that is about 2' shorter. With Dyneema and an Argali carbon rod it should be about half the weight too.
The sag is why I wanted to try silpoly. Supposed to be less sag when wet but that may be overstated. Have you checked out the kifaru super tarp or even mega tarp? Those could fit your needs.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't looked at them in person just online. I really like the ability to stand in my Sawtooth to get dressed and stretch out. I'm not a tall guy by any means but I do want a taller shelter than the Supertarp. The Argali tents are tempting but all of the square tipi style tents I have been in seem to have a lot or wasted space. The walls come too close to the ground and condensation soaks all your gear if it is stored on the edges. The shape of the Sawtooth is by far the most practical and efficient tipi tent floor print I have seen. I would change some sizes and most likely the door location to one side since it would be mostly a 1 man tent. Just spit balling the idea for a year or so now and your thread got the ball rolling again for me.

Reactions: CB1