First Archery Elk Hunt

I wanted to see if anyone had tips for a first archery elk hunt. I’ve been reading forums on here and learning a ton as always. Long story short we have always rifle hunted elk and this year will be chasing them with a bow. We are going to hunt an area where we have been multiple times and always seen elk. We somewhat know their patterns during the summer and rifle seasons. That being said I am always learning and am a little unsure of when to hunt during archery season. We have to hunt before the 21st due to schedule constraints. I see lots of people talking about moon phases and peak time to go even on social media and podcasts. I like hunting with low pressure and just enjoying the mountains so this almost makes me want to avoid that time but I’m probably overthinking it.

My questions are:

Is it a bad idea to go first or second week this year with the full moon or is timing the rut really that critical for archery? My thought is since we know the area we can have a decent chance stalking, hunting wallows or maybe calling a younger bull in.

Secondly any tips during 1st or second week of archery would be helpful as we are leaning towards going then.

Thanks everyone always appreciate the knowledge on this forum.

It’s the best time of the year, my tip is put it all out there and have as much fun as you can! If you’re going to call, get the ElkNut app.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
It’s the best time of the year, my tip is put it all out there and have as much fun as you can! If you’re going to call, get the ElkNut app.
Awesome thanks man! Cannot wait to be out there and maybe finally won’t freeze depending on weather haha.

I’ve had my best luck when the moon phase says i shouldn’t. If you hunt during that time, get out at night and listen for bugles. It also means less people since everyone is worried about the moon phases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I’ve had my best luck when the moon phase says i shouldn’t. If you hunt during that time, get out at night and listen for bugles. It also means less people since everyone is worried about the moon phases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like it thanks for sharing!

OP
Kyle Wheeler

Wapiti1

WKR
The best time is when you are there and the elk are there at the same time. This can happen any day of the season. Success is about only one thing: spending time in the woods. "When" is simply during an open season. It can happen any time. I've shot elk first day, mid-season, and last week. Never last day, but it may happen. This applies to archery and rifle seasons.

People bagging a hunt because they don't have the "best dates" are my favorite hunters. Even though they probably weren't going to be much for competition anyway.

Moon phases........hehehehehehehehe! A scientifically disproven myth. For all photo period driven ungulates (elk, deer, moose). It affects activity during a day like feeding, but has nothing to do with the rut.

Jeremy

OP
Kyle Wheeler
The best time is when you are there and the elk are there at the same time. This can happen any day of the season. Success is about only one thing: spending time in the woods. "When" is simply during an open season. It can happen any time. I've shot elk first day, mid-season, and last week. Never last day, but it may happen. This applies to archery and rifle seasons.

People bagging a hunt because they don't have the "best dates" are my favorite hunters. Even though they probably weren't going to be much for competition anyway.

Moon phases........hehehehehehehehe! A scientifically disproven myth. For all photo period driven ungulates (elk, deer, moose). It affects activity during a day like feeding, but has nothing to do with the rut.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy! I agree the best time is when you are able to hunt. Looking forward to memories made hope you have a great season!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
You get what you get and I’ve never cared. We’ve all killed in all the varying scenarios of pre-rut, rut, post rut so go for it. Even during the height of the rut they can just shut down and go silent so you have to carry on even if you’re in the supposedly best time and they aren’t vocal at all.
Good point to adapt no matter what’s going on. Thanks for sharing!

Just get out there with the attitude you are going to kill one and hunt sun up to sun down eating and napping on the mountain. Carry a good headlamp and extra batteries.