Fire Ban and Tent Stoves

WKR
Do fire bans apply to enclosed tent stoves? Open fires on ground or above ground fire pits are banned, cooking stoves are OK.

How about enclosed tent stoves?

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I think they are included in the burn bans, as my understanding (in Oregon) is that the only approved fires are at some developed campgrounds and using propane fires and etc.

You should get a firm answer from the local fire/Forrest management agency where you plan to hunt.

dotman

WKR
Why chance it? If you do start a fire because of it you'll not be happy with the outcome. A gas stove does not put off sparks like wood burning does in anything.

Felix40

WKR
I can't imagine it not being included in a burn ban. All it could take is one spark coming out the chimney to light up a spruce or cedar tree when its dry.

The way I look at it is, if it's too dry for a fire it's likely you don't need a stove to be comfy.

OP

WKR
Good points all. I think the stove will stay in the vehicle this time.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
The Wyoming Bridger Teton forest you have to have a spark arrestor on the end of your camp stove pipe. It's usually supposed to be less than 1/4" holes, like a rabbit cage wire or something, the sparks still make their way out of there though. It depends where your going each piece of forest or BLM will probably have different rules in place.

Depending how hard your pack in is you can bring it as a JIC thing. Last year we went from days of warm dry high pressure to three morning stuck in wet tent.

I called a few of the county sheriffs office and here in Colorado, they are suppose to be lifting them september 1st. I was told a tent stove, like my kifaru box stove was illegal to use during a fire ban. It has to be a permanent structure. Just call and ask...that's all you can really do. I'm camping at 11k and it's only getting down to mid 20's at night. Should be warm enough in tipi and bag with bivvy sack.

steveo

FNG
I just called the US Forest service in the Durango office and the lady said fire bans have been removed for Colorado in the National Forests. She says its currently raining so bringing a stove should not be a problem.

530Chukar

WKR
As long as you're using it for cooking not just heat it's fine. We currently have bans here but cocking stoves with a permit are ok. Don't know that they have an actual cooking stove definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rucker61

WKR
I just called the US Forest service in the Durango office and the lady said fire bans have been removed for Colorado in the National Forests. She says its currently raining so bringing a stove should not be a problem.

That's an update from my conversation with the Forest Service in FTC on Monday. Good to know.

I called as well....so in all forest service area's...Fire ban is no longer a go? I called FTC office on Monday and still in effect.

UPDATE: I just talked to the FTC office and they have not lifted the ban. It's only lifted for National Forest Campgrounds. Check the colorado fire ban page to see what your regulations are. If you don't know, call the local forest service, parks office, or Sheriff's office to find out. They did say it should be lifted in the next week pending the amount of moisture they've been getting and what's forecasted over the next few days.

Rucker61

WKR
UPDATE: I just talked to the FTC office and they have not lifted the ban. It's only lifted for National Forest Campgrounds. Check the colorado fire ban page to see what your regulations are. If you don't know, call the local forest service, parks office, or Sheriff's office to find out. They did say it should be lifted in the next week pending the amount of moisture they've been getting and what's forecasted over the next few days.

Is that for National Forests only? According to Colorado Emergency Management: Fire Bans & Danger most counties (and state forests) don't have the restrictions in place.