Finding Benches on Topo

Howdy!

Hoping someone could help me figure out how to find benches on a topo map. It’s one of the last features I can’t seem to locate. Thanks!

My experience, it’s real tough. Sometimes there’s a nice bench where indicated, other times not so much. And often enough, you’ll find a nice feature that’s in no way indicated on the map. Unfortunately, there’s just no replacement for time on the ground, which for an east-coaster like me is super limited.

Freborg

FNG
The steeper a slope is, the closer together contour lines will be on a topo map. So the inverse is true, the flatter a slope is (benchy areas) the farther apart the contour lines are. So look for the spots where the contour lines on a slope are further apart than the other contour lines above and below it. That's a start anyway.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had some luck using the Google Earth app in 3D mode. It’s not perfect but often times it gives an example of what you’re likely to see on the ground when you’ve map scouted an area you’re interested in. It’s not exact but its been pretty decent

92xj

WKR
52845571592_f929d23668_b.jpg

Maverick1

WKR
The above picture has it covered. Look at a Topo map. Where the lines are close together it’s steep. Where there is a loop out or an area where the lines are further apart is where you’ll find your benches. (That’s where the benches are…..it may not be where the elk are though!)

To add on to @92xj 's picture...

Let's say you have a main ridge that is fairly even in elevation, maybe gently sloping down, and in the bottom is a creek. Most of it will be fairly even sloped from top to bottom. But, to get the room for the bench, you need some extra steep stuff. This is your old algebra/geometry stuff. Look just uphill from the bench in the pic...it's the steepest terrain in the picture. Add on to that, sometimes benches aren't evident on a topo, but you can visually pick out the cliffs when you're there. Usually a bench is right below something pretty steep.

The headache is in the contour interval. If the interval is 80 ft you may have some nice elk sized benches at 40 ft that will never show up.

sacklunch

WKR
This is a good start, I'd also overlay satellite or foliage on that as well and if OP is looking for bedding areas, ensure said benches are in timber/cover. Not getting the full story just from contour lines.

sacklunch

WKR
He literally asked for help finding benches on a topo map, nothing more. For him, that photo was the full story.
Seeing this was posted in 'elk', fairly safe to assume he's looking for bedding areas...that would typically involve cover, and if he's inexperienced enough to not know how to find a bench on topo, it's not too much of a stretch to throw the guy a bone and make sure he's using all available layers (on a app anyways) to zero in on areas he's looking for. A single piece of data is rarely the full story when talking habitat.

Lighten up, Francis.

Idaboy

WKR
Seeing this was posted in 'elk', fairly safe to assume he's looking for bedding areas...that would typically involve cover, and if he's inexperienced enough to not know how to find a bench on topo, it's not too much of a stretch to throw the guy a bone and make sure he's using all available layers (on a app anyways) to zero in on areas he's looking for. A single piece of data is rarely the full story when talking habitat.

Lighten up, Francis.
"But everyone calls me psycho"😂

ElkNut1

WKR
Those photos are not of daytime bedding areas or of benches as elk look at benches. Those are more feeding areas if anything. If beds are found in those spots they would be more of a night time bedding area as opposed to day time bedding areas. Big difference for the elk hunter!

Just don't want folks to be mislead.

ElkNut

Those photos are not of daytime bedding areas or of benches as elk look at benches. Those are more feeding areas if anything. If beds are found in those spots they would be more of a night time bedding area as opposed to day time bedding areas. Big difference for the elk hunter!

Just don't want folks to be mislead.

ElkNut
You’re saying daytime bedding are much smaller I assume? Like probably too small to show up on most topos.

I always show this to people who never saw a topo map before.

Bench… a flat place to sit. Bench on a map: Flat spot with steeper above and below…. where elk like to sit.

I prefer higher benches unless the road is on top. In that case a lower one maybe.IMG_0881.jpeg

Here’s what one of my best daytime bedding areas looks like

View attachment 547162
Maybe my eye isn’t trained enough, but if you’re talking about the area in the middle of the picture, the presence of a bench is not visible from the contour lines.

Just looks like any other nice NE facing dark timbered slope. Am I missing something? Is there anything in this picture that one should key on as an indicator of good habitat beyond being NE facing dark timber?

Only thing I see is that SW slope is very steep so probably limits human approach from behind them and looks like to the NW there may be a saddle or long point.