Finally got my first elk

rootacres

WKR
Funny how you put all the reps in practice with your rifle and 60yds freehand is what the shot ends up being. Keep getting reps, they will be helpful at some point guaranteed.

Congrats

MTbiggame

FNG
Congrats, I also got my first bull this year. The 2 bulls my buddy and I got were easy to get out. Now the cow my brother in law got was a different story. 2.5 miles of hell, but still worth it and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. That’s mine on the right. My buddy and I got 2 dropped within 40 yards of each other.F1D4A214-0E14-48E8-8AC7-C1B0CF2BF982.jpeg

Jmb413

FNG
Yesterday morning. Opening day of rifle in Montana. I got nestled into a spot I had scouted some last year. Lots of sign everywhere.

I had only been sitting about 5 minutes when some cows and a spike came up the ridge in front of me. They were about 60 yards away. They stopped briefly then moved on, but they kept looking behind them. Then the bull came up the ridge two minutes later. He stopped broadside at 60 yards and my 300 WSM dropped him in his tracks.

This was my 6th elk hunt. He’s not a monster, but I couldn’t care less. He’s gonna feed my family and it feels good to finally go home successful!

All the long range target practice and it came down to a 60 yard free hand shot 😂

View attachment 466804View attachment 466803View attachment 466805
Great bull! Congrats!!!