Finally drew Moose in Idaho

OP
SawtoothOle
You’re right, but I’m back with info on that unit. We found moose a day before the hunt opened and apparently when a moose is seen, word gets out and everyone drives out for a look at it:) that bull was 40”+ up a canyon. We stayed there and hunted hard calling and glassing. We saw no moose after that for days until we hunted the ridges along the river and called a few bulls but we never got to see the bulls, on the last day we spotted a bull moving up a ridge at 550 yards. Pro tip- I’ve been judging bulls from the front all year, the side view was all I had, I ranged him at 540 and he was headed for cover. So I took the shot and put him down. Success! When we got him he was a smaller bull, but we celebrated and packed meat for the rest of the day. Overall the area is gorgeous and the bulls will sometimes be in the thick stuff. Be prepared to glass from on high and learn to call for the rut. It was so much fun calling moose in or at least close. We had great fishing on the Joe and met great people on the mountain. Some bulls move around but they’re in there.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.jpeg
    IMG_3852.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
OP
SawtoothOle
Having hunted this unit would you recommend for moose to someone else?

Next up- Alces alces gigas?
I would because of the draw odds and the location. The learning curve was steep but I can be stubborn about moving around. I should’ve moved more and talked to more people on the mountain. Ultimately this is one of the reasons we were successful. I definitely have a strategy for moose in 7 now, hard earned.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would because of the draw odds and the location. The learning curve was steep but I can be stubborn about moving around. I should’ve moved more and talked to more people on the mountain. Ultimately this is one of the reasons we were successful. I definitely have a strategy for moose in 7 now, hard earned.
Will you go back and edit all locations out of your hunt recap please? I know you already drew this unit but leaving that information on the web really can put unnecessary pressure in those places. Thank you and welcome back

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
SawtoothOle
Will you go back and edit all locations out of your hunt recap please? I know you already drew this unit but leaving that information on the web really can put unnecessary pressure in those places. Thank you and welcome back

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Edited, is that better?