Final Gear List Review for 4th rifle Elk in Colorado

colt1776

FNG
Sure have been learning a ton reading all I can on this forum!

I am going on a 4th season rifle elk hunt in Colorado again this year and have been fine tuning my gear list over the last several months and figured a few more sets of eyes on it wouldn't hurt!

We are hunting the same unit this year and hauling a camper to stay in so just day hunts.

Is there anything you guys would change or not take?

Does this pack weight seem heavy or just how it goes being 4th season and having to pack the extra clothes?

1663687873786.png

1663687827838.png

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPEG
    IMG_2080.JPEG
    378.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2081.JPEG
    IMG_2081.JPEG
    381.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2258.JPEG
    IMG_2258.JPEG
    406.8 KB · Views: 66
Doesn't seem egregiously heavy for a late season hunt. I would leave the cooking gear behind and just snack on packaged/pre-cooked stuff throughout the day. I would also leave the battery pack and bug spray behind. Amount of extra clothing is a personal judgment call based on expected weather, your hunting style, and your cold tolerance.

OP
C

colt1776

FNG
Doesn't seem egregiously heavy for a late season hunt. I would leave the cooking gear behind and just snack on packaged/pre-cooked stuff throughout the day. I would also leave the battery pack and bug spray behind.
I will most likely do that just is nice to have a hot cup of coffee or tea when your glassing later on in the day. I run OnX on my phone last year and needed the battery pack towards the evening packing out an elk last year in the dark. Wont take the bug spray

OP
C

colt1776

FNG
Probably leave the flashlight since you are taking a headlamp and a cell phone already. How many lighters and matches are you taking...4?!
Yeah the bug spray is in my pack all summer for training and forget about it on the list haha That is a good point just like having an extra light and only being 1oz its hardly nothing but ounces adds to pounds... I have 1 lighter and like 8 waterproof matches we will be any where from 4-8 miles in at a time walking in and out in the dark.

Sherman

WKR
I will most likely do that just is nice to have a hot cup of coffee or tea when your glassing later on in the day. I run OnX on my phone last year and needed the battery pack towards the evening packing out an elk last year in the dark. Wont take the bug spray
Download the maps on OnX then put your phone in airplane mode. My iPhone lasts DAYS like this. Recharge at the camper at night.

you have a ton of tourniquets. one with the name, one as a belt, a couple dozen in your paracord.......

why do you have a sharpie for a tag that gets notched?

1 115xt blade and a gut hook is all you need to get one elk quartered

3 gallons is probably not enough for elk backstraps

ditch the spyderco

don't hike with your stove

how many gloves are you actually able to wear at one time?

compass is redundant to your iphone unless you are the type who gets lost really easy.

handwarmers can last for hours, and there's always the option to hike uphill and get real warm in a hurry.

you have so many lights. like, so many.

extra batteries can probably stay in your camper

how much water can you purify with 13 chlorine tablets per day?

how many pairs of puffy pants can you wear at once?

OP
C

colt1776

FNG
Thanks for the replies!

Made some comments below
you have a ton of tourniquets. one with the name, one as a belt, a couple dozen in your paracord....... T

why do you have a sharpie for a tag that gets notched? Good point

1 115xt blade and a gut hook is all you need to get one elk quartered. True I use the gutless method

3 gallons is probably not enough for elk backstraps. Probably will just use a game bag

ditch the spyderco. Good point

don't hike with your stove. Good point

how many gloves are you actually able to wear at one time? Will only take a thin pair of wool gloves and a over pair depending on how cold it is.

compass is redundant to your iphone unless you are the type who gets lost really easy. Which I don't and I'll have my Garmin Instinct 2 watch

handwarmers can last for hours, and there's always the option to hike uphill and get real warm in a hurry. Was going to pack extra incase they dont work

you have so many lights. like, so many. Yeah... Its overkill for sure...

extra batteries can probably stay in your camper. Good point

how much water can you purify with 13 chlorine tablets per day? Packed as an extra but way to many hahaha

how many pairs of puffy pants can you wear at once? Only have the one pair

I agree with ResearchinStuff. I think your list looks very complete, but there are some things you can leave behind. Making tea/coffee might be nice, but I don't carry a stove for the day, and I agree that you don't need that many pairs of gloves. I also carry ~10 water tablets, mostly because they each weigh about 0.01 oz and it's nice to keep them all in the same place since I do a lot of packing in.

svivian

WKR
Thats alot of clothes in a day pack..... also alot of extras. I bet you could get that pack down 10lbs

OP
C

colt1776

FNG
I agree with ResearchinStuff. I think your list looks very complete, but there are some things you can leave behind. Making tea/coffee might be nice, but I don't carry a stove for the day, and I agree that you don't need that many pairs of gloves. I also carry ~10 water tablets, mostly because they each weigh about 0.01 oz and it's nice to keep them all in the same place since I do a lot of packing in.
Thats alot of clothes in a day pack..... also alot of extras. I bet you could get that pack down 10lbs
What all would you guys take out?

svivian

WKR
At least get rid of the Sitka heavy weight hoody if you are packing a Jetstream and a puffy. Get rid of a few flashlights. Do you really need the tripod? Way to many gloves also i dont see toilet paper.... i dont know about you but when nature calls... Just my .02

dphifer

FNG
Thanks for posting, the feedback is helping me cut some weight on my pack also. Only 1 game bag? What is your plan there?

I dont bring a stove for day hunts. May be nice if its super cold though, esp for coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pack last year for 10 days sleeping in backcountry for 3rd rifle weighed about 70 lbs all in (includes rifle and 2 liters of water). This year i was well under 50 lbs all in for 8 days archery. Thats 8 days of 3,500 calories of food and a sleep system under your day pack weight. You can def cut that WAY down. Don’t pack your fears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

colt1776

FNG
At least get rid of the Sitka heavy weight hoody if you are packing a Jetstream and a puffy. Get rid of a few flashlights. Do you really need the tripod? Way to many gloves also i dont see toilet paper.... i dont know about you but when nature calls... Just my .02
I tend to run cold or I would get rid of the hoody I have been looking at different options as far as a wind shirt and a rain shell is lighter then the Jetstream its a heavy jacket... I'm not taking a bipod and took a leg off the tripod and a lower section out of it so it weights 25oz and I can shoot off that to 800yards easily. I do have TP always in the bag because it always calls at the wrong time lol