Field Judging Antelope

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Never seen antelope until yesterday....saw a couple of groups along the highway as the sun was rising, then I saw this guy. He almost crossed the highway right in front of me but when I slowed and pulled over to take his pic he flared back out into the field. He looked pretty good to me....I thought if I had an antelope tag and saw him while hunting I would shoot him, but it made me wonder what an antelope hunter is really looking for? What makes a shooter buck?

20230504_005843.jpg20230504_005801.jpg

Tmac

WKR
For scoring, mass first, with adequate length of prong and horn. Pronghorn Guide Service web site has some good Antelope judging exercises.

For me, if he looks big I shoot. Can’t judge those things well at all.

Rackmastr

WKR
Mass is so important. Wife shot a buck in 2022 that was only 13" long but mass made him a no-doubt shooter. A lot of guys severely under judge him as well when they look at field pics. Its shocking how quick mass adds up!

WestTex

FNG
Definitely mass. Also, ideally, the prong will be high enough to get 3 of the 4 mass measurements below it instead of 2 below and 2 above.

Never seen antelope until yesterday....saw a couple of groups along the highway as the sun was rising, then I saw this guy. He almost crossed the highway right in front of me but when I slowed and pulled over to take his pic he flared back out into the field. He looked pretty good to me....I thought if I had an antelope tag and saw him while hunting I would shoot him, but it made me wonder what an antelope hunter is really looking for? What makes a shooter buck?

View attachment 550228View attachment 550229
Honestly from a score stand point he's mid 70's" but he has a really nice shape and is a beautiful buck. I usually have a few things I look at to field judge an antelope and they are one you need to look at for a little while before you pull the trigger if your really looking for score. The eye is approximately 2" wide look at it compared to the horn base if it's wider than his eye his base is going to be 6+" which is good. the ears are approximately 4" long you want the prongs to start above the ears and be as long as his ear sideways on the horn. You also want to see how many times his ears stack before the curve of the horn. If you can get 2.5 he's at least 14+". All together you get length, 3 mass, and the prong on each side for score.

SwiftShot

WKR

View attachment 550228View attachment 550229
I got a great class on them from the lady that runs the Taxidermy shop in Montana where I hunt. Mass is important. She pointed out to use their ears to judge. You want thicker than 2.5x the ear and the fork to be above the tip of the ear. She stressed the fork above the ear tip as a great way to weed out sub par bucks.

WestTex

FNG
Honestly from a score stand point he's mid 70's" but he has a really nice shape and is a beautiful buck. I usually have a few things I look at to field judge an antelope and they are one you need to look at for a little while before you pull the trigger if your really looking for score. The eye is approximately 2" wide look at it compared to the horn base if it's wider than his eye his base is going to be 6+" which is good. the ears are approximately 4" long you want the prongs to start above the ears and be as long as his ear sideways on the horn. You also want to see how many times his ears stack before the curve of the horn. If you can get 2.5 he's at least 14+". All together you get length, 3 mass, and the prong on each side for score.
I believe it’s 4 mass measurements on each side. One at the base and then 1 at each 1/4 of horn length for the next 3. Example: if the longer horn is 12”, you would take measurements at the base and at 3”, 6”, & 9” (the location of the prong can make a difference)