FFP Reticle image thread

TxLite

WKR
Updating with a few more.

For comparison…a regular old duplex reticle on a leupold VX3 2.5-8. (2fp)
View attachment 520844

And my S&B 3-12 ffp 3-12k P3L at 3x. Same day, same view, just snowing now.
View attachment 520847
Would it be possible to do this again but with the same conditions? This image makes the vx3 look much better than the Klassik and I’m wondering if it’s just because of the additional snow

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, I was looking more at the reticle itself, but totally true it was a few min later and it started dumping snow outside and was losing light, so its not really a fair apples:apples comparison photo to compare the two scopes. I’ll see if I can get some images tonight when Im home.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Ok @TxLite , here you go. The wife is out of town, the dog has had enough bumpers, and my new chestnuts are all watered, so had a few min to take some pictures that hopefully allow you a better comparison. I took these with an ipad that’s several years old—my new phone takes way better pics, but the triple lens just wont allow me to keep the image centered. I tried my best to get good pictures and I even took a couple twice so you can hopefully get a feel, but this is as good as I can do with what I have. Hopefully it helps.

The setup: there is a cardboard cutout of my lab Mac out there about 50 yards away since no actual deer were handy. Rifles were exactly as shown, literally on the same rear bag.
IMG_1136.jpegIMG_1149.jpeg

Scopes are a leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 standard duplex reticle, compared to a Schmidt &Bender Klassik 3-12x42 P3L FFP.

On lowest Magnification:
IMG_0989.jpegIMG_0994.jpeg

The s&b looked brighter so I thought maybe it had focused in a different spot or something so I re-did the same image being careful the focus was on the center of crosshair:
IMG_0997.jpegIMG_0999.jpeg

It definitely looks to me like the s&b is brighter even in good light, and getting behind the rifles it is noticeably crisper and brighter to me.

Now both at 10x:
IMG_1001.jpegIMG_1004.jpeg

And finally the Klassik at 12x
IMG_1007.jpeg

If I havent started a project or gotten distracted I’ll try to take some pictures around dusk.

TxLite

WKR
Ok @TxLite , here you go. The wife is out of town, the dog has had enough bumpers, and my new chestnuts are all watered, so had a few min to take some pictures that hopefully allow you a better comparison. I took these with an ipad that’s several years old—my new phone takes way better pics, but the triple lens just wont allow me to keep the image centered. I tried my best to get good pictures and I even took a couple twice so you can hopefully get a feel, but this is as good as I can do with what I have. Hopefully it helps.

The setup: there is a cardboard cutout of my lab Mac out there about 50 yards away since no actual deer were handy. Rifles were exactly as shown, literally on the same rear bag.
View attachment 567681View attachment 567682

Scopes are a leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 standard duplex reticle, compared to a Schmidt &Bender Klassik 3-12x42 P3L FFP.

On lowest Magnification:
View attachment 567683View attachment 567684

The s&b looked brighter so I thought maybe it had focused in a different spot or something so I re-did the same image being careful the focus was on the center of crosshair:
View attachment 567685View attachment 567686

It definitely looks to me like the s&b is brighter even in good light, and getting behind the rifles it is noticeably crisper and brighter to me.

Now both at 10x:
View attachment 567687View attachment 567688

And finally the Klassik at 12x
View attachment 567690

If I havent started a project or gotten distracted I’ll try to take some pictures around dusk.
I appreciate you taking the time to do this. And I know what you mean about the stupid 3 cameras on the iPhone. I hate trying to take scope pics with it. I’m about to slap electrical tape over the extra lenses.

Those pictures definitely make the s&b stand out against the leupold.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
In the meantime, here is 3x and 12x on max illumination in the p3l. The illumination is actually one of my least favorite parts of the scope, there is considerable bleed at higher illumination levels, you can see a little bit of this in these photos. When it gets darker, it is more apparent. Below setting five, even getting behind the scope and looking into a shadow, you can’t even tell the illumination is on unless it’s very dark—it’s clearly made for night hunting. Here it’s 7:30pm in june, in full shade now.
IMG_1014.jpegIMG_1011.jpeg

TxLite

WKR
In the meantime, here is 3x and 12x on max illumination in the p3l. The illumination is actually one of my least favorite parts of the scope, there is considerable bleed at higher illumination levels, you can see a little bit of this in these photos. When it gets darker, it is more apparent. Below setting five, even getting behind the scope and looking into a shadow, you can’t even tell the illumination is on unless it’s very dark—it’s clearly made for night hunting. Here it’s 7:30pm in june, in full shade now.
View attachment 567693View attachment 567694
Which of the two holds a brighter image longer at last light? I’m assuming the S&B?

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
My deer target went into the shade of the east-facing woodline at about 7:15ish. The sun dropped below the hill at about 8:05. Legal sunset was at 8:37, so legal shooting light would have been 9:07. I spent from 9:00 til 9:30 comparing these two scopes, the vx3 and the klassik. Ultimately when I decided I didnt have enough light left neither scope looked clearly brighter, but I was able to make out my cardboard “deer” target a few minutes longer with the s&b. I was looking at a fairly uniform and lighter colored background of a tall hay field so I was able to make out both reticles without illumination. The pictures were really difficult, and toward the end I still had light through the scopes but I just couldnt get any photos to come out. Actually looking through both scopes was consistently much better than my crappy photos make it look. By 930 it was fully dark even in the field, maybe I would have been able to shoot a deer against a very light background, but I was not able to resolve the target through either scope at that point, 53 minutes after sun set.
IMG_1015.jpegIMG_1016.jpegIMG_1018.jpegIMG_1021.jpegIMG_1019.jpeg

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
My deer target went into the shade of the east-facing woodline at about 7:15ish. The sun dropped below the hill at about 8:05. Legal sunset was at 8:37, so legal shooting light would have been 9:07. I spent from 9:00 til 9:30 comparing these two scopes, the vx3 and the klassik. Ultimately when I decided I didnt have enough light left neither scope looked clearly brighter, but I was able to make out my cardboard “deer” target a few minutes longer with the s&b. I was looking at a fairly uniform and lighter colored background of a tall hay field so I was able to make out both reticles without illumination. The pictures were really difficult, and toward the end I still had light through the scopes but I just couldnt get any photos to come out. Actually looking through both scopes was consistently much better than my crappy photos make it look. By 930 it was fully dark even in the field, maybe I would have been able to shoot a deer against a very light background, but I was not able to resolve the target through either scope at that point, 53 minutes after sun set.
View attachment 567724View attachment 567726View attachment 567727View attachment 567730View attachment 567728
Thanks. Looks like both did pretty well, but pictures never quite show the full story. I appreciate you taking the time to do that