Federal Heavy Metal 410 shells

rclouse79

WKR
A few years ago, I bought a Stevens single shot 410 with a Vortex Venom red dot sight for my kids to use turkey hunting. I bought five boxes of the Federal Heavy Metal shells with five shells per box, which ended up costing more than the gun. I was really questioning if that ridiculous shell price was worth it at the time. Of course, buying the new set up jinxed us and we didn't have any opportunities for two seasons. This Saturday I was able to call in a Tom for my son. They came in behind us and he ended up shooting a bit further than he probably should have (I ranged it at 40 yards afterwards). I was surprised to see that one shot did the trick! I still cringe at the thought of $10 every time the trigger gets pulled, but at only a shell or two each season it is worth it to have a gun kids enjoy shooting.

1713197825162.png

Boy, that's a loaded question!

I bought ten of those TSS buggers about 4 years ago! Cost me $60 + shipping!
My "tightwad" almost went into terminal rigor!

Personally, I bought those ten because I came into a .410 and wanted to turkey hunt with it. At this point, I haven't killed a turkey with it.

On a normal day, ain't no way I'd spend that much money on shotgun ammo.
Remember, I came up in an era where shotgun shells could be had for $1.95/box! There was no "minimum wage" and a man could buy a home and raise his family working in a gas station.

I will not argue that the TSS shot isn't effective at stated ranges, so who am I to say "Don't waste your money!"

I've had spectacular success with plain Jane old lead #8's. Because it works for me, I see no sense in changing now. It's my OFS!

Sooooo.... if it takes $10/shell TSS to get your kids out and hunting, sobeit!

My dad wouldn't have paid that much for ammo, but bless his heart, he probably spent the equivalent every year (lease) to give me a place to hunt!

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Boy, that's a loaded question!

I bought ten of those TSS buggers about 4 years ago! Cost me $60 + shipping!
My "tightwad" almost went into terminal rigor!

Personally, I bought those ten because I came into a .410 and wanted to turkey hunt with it. At this point, I haven't killed a turkey with it.

On a normal day, ain't no way I'd spend that much money on shotgun ammo.
Remember, I came up in an era where shotgun shells could be had for $1.95/box! There was no "minimum wage" and a man could buy a home and raise his family working in a gas station.

I will not argue that the TSS shot isn't effective at stated ranges, so who am I to say "Don't waste your money!"

I've had spectacular success with plain Jane old lead #8's. Because it works for me, I see no sense in changing now. It's my OFS!

Sooooo.... if it takes $10/shell TSS to get your kids out and hunting, sobeit!

My dad wouldn't have paid that much for ammo, but bless his heart, he probably spent the equivalent every year (lease) to give me a place to hunt!
I am on the same page! Even though I think it would be fun to shoot a turkey with the red dot sight, I am using the plain old 12 gauge for myself. I am hoping to get my 60 lb 8-year-old daughter out next year. I think her shooting the 410 vs the 12 gauge could be the difference between her wanting to keep hunting or hang it up.

I am on the same page! Even though I think it would be fun to shoot a turkey with the red dot sight, I am using the plain old 12 gauge for myself. I am hoping to get my 60 lb 8-year-old daughter out next year. I think her shooting the 410 vs the 12 gauge could be the difference between her wanting to keep hunting or hang it up.
If I knew buying expensive ammo would get my kids into hunting, I'd do it to.
Heaven only knows what I spent to keep my youngest in high-school rodeo!

Kids! While we're at it and I'm here, I'm going to jump up on my "stump"!
IF you're going to the expense of buying expensive ammo and spending the time to take your kids hunting, try to get them to keep a "hunting/fishing/outdoor" journal!
They don't have to rewrite "War and Peace", just a simple narrative (or longer) of the event, recording facts that are important to them!
Where they were.
Who was with them.
Gun and ammo.
Weather. (frosty, hot, doesn't have to be a forecast!)
What happened.

Years from now, reading back over past events is amazing.
Start them early.
I started at 53 and I've filled up four!
20240415_173105.jpg
I've also included a few photos!