Federal Ammo Question

snvts82

FNG
Not a cool elk story but hopefully a question that will end with a cool elk story. My uncle updated to a nice leupold on his rifle and I’m trying to find the ballistics info so I can order his cds dial for him. It’s older federal premium 300wm 200grain boat tail. His gun shoots it well, he’s got a bunch and is not at all interested in switching his ammo. Any ammo gurus out there know the ballistics for this or will get me close? Appreciate any help.

I’ve emailed federal with no response yet

Attachments

• DFA9D758-EA89-4336-84DA-2CF2BA3585B8.jpeg
    DFA9D758-EA89-4336-84DA-2CF2BA3585B8.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
You can't trust whats printed on the box or book or even what that ammo does in someone else's rifle.
Its much more complicated then that.
At minimum you need to shoot 10 rounds through a magneto speed or lab radar.

Or download a ballistic app. Put in a rough speed, use that number to go out and shoot steel targets at distance.
Then once you have good verified data order the turret.

TV shows have lied to ya. Sorry.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with those above. I had a Swarovski turret cut based on the box ballistics, found my rifle shoots that load almost 200 fps faster.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah chrono it. Muzzle velocity is dependent on a lot of data. Temp, elevation, etc. once you true that, you can then make changes. O shoot their 185 Bergers and one lot number was 2850 fps and the current lot number I am shooting is 3085. Don’t do the CDS dial as temp, barometric pressure, elevation, etc will change the come up. Shoot a regular dial and learn what changes your come up.

z987k

WKR
Yeah chrono it. Muzzle velocity is dependent on a lot of data. Temp, elevation, etc. once you true that, you can then make changes. O shoot their 185 Bergers and one lot number was 2850 fps and the current lot number I am shooting is 3085. Don’t do the CDS dial as temp, barometric pressure, elevation, etc will change the come up. Shoot a regular dial and learn what changes your come up.
Inside 500 temp and especially baro change the drop so insignificantly as to be irrelevant.
Elevation does a good bit, but like where I am, animals don't even live high or low enough above where I sight it in where it makes more than an inch difference at the extreme at 500.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot the ammo through a chrono, I usually do at least 9 rounds, and then run the average fps through a ballistic app to get your numbers. As others have said don't trust box numbers.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
Thanks for the help. I’ll try to convince him to chrono it. I’ve had good luck with my bergara and the barnes ammo I shoot plus the cds. But I also do go any further than 500.

Have him shoot it at the actual distances he plans to hunt with and record the distance or MOA it drops at each. You can back into accurate data with that.

If that is too much work he probably shouldn't have a CDS dial.

z987k

WKR
Have him shoot it at the actual distances he plans to hunt with and record the distance or MOA it drops at each. You can back into accurate data with that.

If that is too much work he probably shouldn't have a CDS dial.
If using a chrono is too much work then he should also not be dailing for anything.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with measuring the velocity before ordering the dial. If he is trying to shoot minute of elk out to 500, he could probably get away with as little as a 3 shot average if he is worried about burning his rounds. The effort to have an accurate velocity would be well worth the peace of mind in my book.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I looked in two ballistic apps and the closest thing I could find was the 200 gr trophy bear claw. They advertise it at 2700 fps. I wouldn’t trust it, just trying to give you an idea.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
Appreciate all the help. We’re going to shoot this afternoon. Axed the cds idea. He wants to keep it under 300 anyhow.

ih784

FNG
Not a cool elk story but hopefully a question that will end with a cool elk story. My uncle updated to a nice leupold on his rifle and I’m trying to find the ballistics info so I can order his cds dial for him. It’s older federal premium 300wm 200grain boat tail. His gun shoots it well, he’s got a bunch and is not at all interested in switching his ammo. Any ammo gurus out there know the ballistics for this or will get me close? Appreciate any help.

I’ve emailed federal with no response yet
Only way to know is shoot it and chronograph it.