Favorite tripod shooting head

I am curious to what is people’s favorite tripod head for shooting/ using a spotter. The RRS anvil 30 seems solid but not sure if it will work with other tripods and it seems pretty heavy… the other one I am looking at right now is the wiser precision nighthawk. Let me know what you got and why you like it!

atmat

WKR
What you’ll generally find is that glassing and shooting heads are inversely related. That is to say a great shooting head is a good/fine glassing head; a great glassing head is a good/fine shooting head.

I run the Wiser Precision head and love it. Though I do shoot off of it, I wouldn’t say it’s ideal.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
What you’ll generally find is that glassing and shooting heads are inversely related. That is to say a great shooting head is a good/fine glassing head; a great glassing head is a good/fine shooting head.

I run the Wiser Precision head and love it. Though I do shoot off of it, I wouldn’t say it’s ideal.
I’m torn between the wiser and and the anvil. I just don’t know if the anvil is worth the extra weight over the wiser for shooting off. Have you compared your setup to the anvil 30?

atmat

WKR
I’m torn between the wiser and and the anvil. I just don’t know if the anvil is worth the extra weight over the wiser for shooting off. Have you compared your setup to the anvil 30?
Unfortunately I’ve never used the anvil 30 so I can’t directly compare. People here seem to think it’s an awesome shooting platform, though.

28bang

WKR

I have both. I use the anvil 30 with the wiser head on top for glassing. The anvil for glassing is not ideal, great for shooting off of. If you’re on uneven ground, the wiser doesn’t have the ball feature to get you level. So that might be frustrating without the anvil, but probably manageable.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
I have both. I use the anvil 30 with the wiser head on top for glassing. The anvil for glassing is not ideal, great for shooting off of. If you’re on uneven ground, the wiser doesn’t have the ball feature to get you level. So that might be frustrating without the anvil, but probably manageable.
Thanks for sharing! I glass about 95 percent with my sig image stabilizer binos so I would throw the spotter on to confirm what I’m seeing. I don’t really “trophy” hunt so I don’t have a real need to glad extensively with a spotter. Sounds like the anvil is what I’m needing… appreciate the feedback!

Stugotz

FNG
I have a Markins Q-Ball head that I use. (Rated at 30kg max.) I use to use it for photography but got out of it. I considered selling it (and the CF tripod) but luckily didn't. I have my spotting scope mounted on it and at least at this point, this set-up is going to be with me for a while.