Favorite Solid non-lead Bullet?

I am a Berger cultist. Pretty much shoot only Bergers (after trying most everything else.)

However, my wife and kids refuse to eat meat shot with lead bullets.

So, I'm switching to solid copper bullets for hunting.

I shoot 300 Win Mag for elk, and 6.5 Creedmoore for deer. Currently using Berger's 230 grain high BC 30 caliber bullet and Berger's 140 grain high BC elite hunter for the 6.5.

I know very little about copper solid bullets.

So far, lots of Googling and reading has led me to the following companies:

Hammer
Cutting Edge
Flatline (Warner Tool)
Barnes

Accuracy is important to me. I'm used to 1/2 or less MOA when shooting my Bergers.
I've also been spoiled by Berger's high BC bullets, so a good ballistics coefficient is important as well.

Anyone have some recommendations/comparisons based on actual use of these (or other) bullets?

Thanks in advance.

power54

FNG
I pretty much only hunt with Barnes TTSX. My shots are 400 yards or less and primary species are elk, deer and pronghorn. I load 168 grain for the .300 WSM and 120 grain for the 6.5x55. I get sub MOA on both, which is good enough for my needs. I'm interested to hear folks experience with the other 3 brands that you mentioned.

hodgeman

WKR
You're going from a fairly frangible bullet to one that isn't at all- expect dramatically different results.

You left a few off the list of what's available- Nosler's E-Tip, Hornady GMX and Federal Trophy Copper.

You can get good results but expansion with a mono depends on impact speed...more than you're used to. Think lighter and faster bullets and also consider shot placement- don't be afraid to shoot through some muscle to get them to expand. Many people are disappointed in the results with a "behind the shoulder" lung shot- especially folks who are used to seeing dramatic expansion. They work, but it might be slower acting than a Berger vaporizing in something's lungs.

Accuracy can be very good to dismal. Individual rifles might hate copper bullets and refuse to group worth a darn or foul quickly, others shoot them like laser beams. I've got a couple of both so your mileage might vary.

In the .300, the 150-165gr seems pretty popular and the 120-127 in the 6.5. Copper has a lower density than lead so even "light" bullets get long quickly. Copper bullets also generally have a longer bearing surface than lead so start low and work up on loads. Nosler suggests a 10% reduction when using the E-Tip and some barrels can spike pressures more quickly.

I'm slowly transitioning to copper myself after messing with them for 15 years or so with mixed results. The modern mono bullets are getting better with market development.

JFK

WKR
Barnes TTSX are what I use out of my 270. Where I hunt in Ca they are required by law so not really a decision for me to make, but so far I have been very happy with them. Push the copper bullets fast and they will do their job. This usually means dropping down bullet weight to get velocity up. You are getting 98% weight retention so that lighter bullet still weighs more than a lead round when it passes through.

Way less meat damage is one of the pluses of non lead. I recently saw what Bergers do first hand while helping skin an animal shot by one. I can see why they drop animals fast, but was also blown away by how much meat damage they do.

Bones

WKR
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I have been shooting Barnes muzzleloader all copper bullets for some time, every one I have recovered retained all of the weight and the tip rips into 5 tissue destroying petals. They are made to expand on impact, and I believe they use the same technology in their rifle bullets. I have been very pleased. I know this is a different situation than your 300 win mag, but I am super impressed with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into the Hammers. They are non lead but perform on a spectrum between traditional copper and Bergers. They have different models depending on what your goal is. I would suggest the Hammer Hunter or deadblow which is more frangible similar to Berger but it will be bigger petals of copper and still retain weight for an exit. I think you will find you prefer the hammers. No second guessing shot angles just put the crosshairs on the vitals and let it go. It quite the extreme BC of the Bergers but if you are dialing anyway it doesn’t make a huge difference. You will need to drop weight because copper is lighter than lead. Call or email Hammer with your rifle and barrel specs and they will steer you in the correct direction. Both owners are great guys and bullets are made right in Montana.

mtmuley

WKR
Look into the Hammers. They are non lead but perform on a spectrum between traditional copper and Bergers. They have different models depending on what your goal is. I would suggest the Hammer Hunter or deadblow which is more frangible similar to Berger but it will be bigger petals of copper and still retain weight for an exit. I think you will find you prefer the hammers. No second guessing shot angles just put the crosshairs on the vitals and let it go. It quite the extreme BC of the Bergers but if you are dialing anyway it doesn’t make a huge difference. You will need to drop weight because copper is lighter than lead. Call or email Hammer with your rifle and barrel specs and they will steer you in the correct direction. Both owners are great guys and bullets are made right in Montana.

This. mtmuley

I use the Barnes 130 TTSX in my .270 Win 54.0 gr IMR-4350
the Barnes 168 TTSX in my 30/06 55.0 gr IMR-4350
the Barnes 225 TTSX in my .340 Wby 87.0 gr RL-19

All of the above loads give me sub MOA accuracy

Last edited:

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've had good luck with regular Barnes tsx in 180 in 300 wsm. Powder used includes RL 17 and 19, and Ramshot Hunter. Several deer, elk, antelope taken and not a one lived to see another day.

Boreal

WKR
I’m also on board with the Hammers. I took the 150 gr Sledge Hammer for my 280AI to Afognak and the performance was outstanding on a bull and a cow elk. Also get sub-moa to 300. Steve is extremely helpful and responsive. PM me for a Referral code that may save you some $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk